No rating

Mackintosh Academy

Private | PK-8 | 185 students

Living in Littleton

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $225,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $800.

Sweep tile

Posted August 27, 2009

I love Mackintosh! I started at Mackintosh when I was three and I went there for eleven years. Mackintosh molded me into a very academically advanced student when I arrived at high school. Mackintosh completely prepared me for high school and life and is an excellent educational institution. It provides a small environment that allows for one-one teaching and growth as an individual. The staff is amazing and the teachers really care about the students' success. When I left Mackintosh I took my SATs and scored 1700 soley from the amazing education I recieved at Mackintosh. For anyone who wants their children to excell and recieve an education that promotes success and a love of learning, Mackintosh is the school for you!

Posted June 22, 2009

I have two kids that attend MacKintosh. Both very much enjoy the fast pace learning. Very good environment for kids who have the abilities to learn quickly. I have no doubt that when my kids leave 8th grade they will have no difficulties in college. Very well prepared. I have read the reviews of unhappy parents/kids. There must not be too many because I havent met them. Great teachers and administrator who cares.

Posted April 26, 2009

Ha ha the teacher quality is 4 out of 5! Thats funny! In middle school some of the teachers are not really teaching. They are always... it seams taking care of a problem and just forgets about the rest of us. They are unfair!

Posted November 29, 2008

I believe that Mackintosh is an Excellent school. I have been going here since i was 7. It is an amazing environment. If even one student has a problem t is fixed right away. There is definitely no favorisum by the Head of School with any of the students. If one of her own children has a problem with the school or there classmates she will take over the role of a parent and help her child in any way she can. Sometimes 'favorisum' is caused because one student over the other has special needs and needs some extra support. I highly recommend this school.

Posted November 23, 2008

I do not like how I have to work off of a worksheet for homework in Pre-Algabra. I think the curriculum has gone down hill big time sence last year.

Posted November 15, 2008

My son graduated from Mackintosh Academy last year. I have been so impressed with his ability to easily integrate into a public high school. He has had an air of confidence and sense of self that I feel was nutured throughout his 7 years at Mackintosh. It has been wonderful to see this intelligent yet awkward boy, grow into a young man, eady to take on greater challenges in the community. I credit all of his teachers with this success. I especially appreciated PE daily and an outstanding performing arts program. The math program allowed my son to progress much faster pace than he would have in public school.

Posted October 19, 2008

It isn't that Mackintosh doesn't get gifted education, it's that the administration is more interested in projecting a caring image than actually cultivating it. When it comes down to it, the only thing that matters is what the Head of School wants, not what is best for students.

Posted September 23, 2008

Our negative comments do not result from lack of value placed on deep respect for self or for respecting and appreciating diversity of community. Our negative comments result purely from our son's needs not being met, but more than that from the Head of School's disregard for the changes that need to be made at the school to make it a great place for gifted learners who are not twice exceptional. Our son is highly gifted but doesn't require any special accomodations emotionally or socially. He just needed to be academically challenged. No time for that due to so many students who have special emotional, social or academic needs.

Posted September 19, 2008

Mackintosh Academy is an amazing community of diverse learners and master educators. Self-acceptance and a deep respect for the world is nurtured. Academics are tailored to each individual student since GT students inherently have a huge range of capabilities. I suspect that many of the negative comments out here are the result of a mismatch in parent/school philosophy. Deep learning and questioning is present at all grades, but it is not a place of academic competitiveness. Rather students individual needs are thoughtfully met. My students have experienced many different types of learning environments in the Denver metro area -- none met their social-emotional needs and individual academic requirements quite like Mackintosh has. I am forever grateful to the wonderful head of school who has made this amazing community possible. We have truly found a home.

Posted July 15, 2008

My child is in middle school at Mackintosh. I agree with the positive comments about the teachers -- almost all of them are caring and skilled teachers. I also agree with the comments that the administration is more interested in filling seats and projecting a particular image than offering education. A lot of great middle school students have been leaving because the middle school lacks discipline, leaving the kids that were the problem to begin with. It makes me wonder if I should keep my child on a sinking ship.

Posted July 3, 2008

I attended this school for three years. The teachers and curriculum are excellent. However, the discipline process is absolutely terrible. The discipline process is terrible. The administrative and visual arts section of the school lacks, ensuring no one is offended. This school is no longer what it was due to this,

Posted May 23, 2008

I am not at all impressed with Mackintosh Academy. My son attended 4 years there. For the tution fees around $12,000/- per school year kids are better off in public than Mackintosh. Academically poor and it looks that they want to fill up the class to get tution fees and not looking the kids are gifted and talented.

Posted April 1, 2008

My child attended Mackintosh with very poor results. The administration seemed more concered with filling classrooms than focusing on making a good fit for the child. There is very little concern for children who fall behind. If you need any special help you will struggle to figure it out, pay for it, education the teachers, etc. I feel many gifted children are also ADD or have some sort of sensory integration dysfunction or even dyslexia. Mackintosh admits these kids but the teachers don't know what to do for them. Please beware. I don't know many kids who intetrate well into public school from Mackintosh.

Posted March 28, 2008

My child attended Mackintosh for several years. The teachers are amazing which is the biggest strength of this school. Their enthusiam and love for these children are evident. The school itself is poorly run however, and discipline is lacking . The teachers and the administration especially are not open to suggestions or ideas from the parents. There is poor communication with the faculty and the parents. The IB program is good, however there is too much emphasis on meeting these requirements and the children therefore are lacking the knowledge that their peers have gained in other schools. Having my child evaluated after his elementary years was concerning to me as he lacked the infomation he needed to integrate into a public school. A tax paying Douglas County education is the same (minus the $13,000+/yr) if not better. The kids love Mack though, and that had made us very happy as parents.

Posted March 13, 2008

My daughter attended the 06-07 year. At the public school, our daughter was distressed at the lack of respect and inconsistency of enforcing rules. Here, the IB principles and attitudes were lived each day in her class. Enthusiastically embraced by the staff, this allowed her to blossom academically. Every class had math at the same time so no matter how old your child was, they attended the math level that suited them best--not the one which suits 'most kids their age.' The drama program was fabulous. The school is small, so there are trade-offs: lack of sports teams or afterschool programs. To feel of the spirit of this school, go to the graduation--every class not only attends, but participates in this wonderful event. If you have a caring, sensitive and bright child, this is a fabulous school. If we still lived in Colorado, we'd still be there.

Posted February 20, 2008

My child was a student here last year. We had a miserable experience. There is no teacher accountability, the administrator allows the teachers to run classrooms as they wish despite parent complaints/concerns. The administrator admitted several months into the school year that she hadn't observed the classes that year. Parents' opinions and concerns are not welcome -they are the experts, parents know nothing. The administrator talks a very good talk when you first meet her but there is no followup. There is a lot of favortism at the school including the administrator's two children who attend - just hope your kid is not in their class! Note very carefully that the majority of the positive reviews are from teachers, not parents. There are some wonderful schools for gifted kids in the Denver area, unfortunately this is not one of them. The concept is great, the administration is lacking.

Posted November 13, 2007

I have taught at other schools in the past but Mackintosh Academy has the best curriculum and learning environment for children that I've seen. Teachers at Mackintosh truly care for their students and go beyond expectations to ensure that they are comfortable, challenged, and inspired. The I.B. program that Mackintosh offers nurtures the gifted child, stretching their thinking and develops them into well rounded students. In my opinion, the quality of learning is truly superior to other schools. Also, parents take an active role at Mackintosh and teacher- parent relationships are outstanding. As a teacher, I am so fortunate to be apart of such a wonderful team. As my own children get to school age, I wouldn't consider another school for them!

Posted November 13, 2007

As a teacher at Mackintosh, I feel very fortunate to be in such a supportive, compassionate, well-rounded school. Mackintosh recognizes the children s individual needs and works hard to support these needs. The values at Mackintosh help the children to learn how to think, and how to use their knowledge in the world around them. The community of students, staff and parents are truly exceptional. I am honored to be an educator at this school.

Posted November 12, 2007

My son is a bright and extremely reticent guy, the most important thing about middle school at Mackintosh was that he was valued and honored for who he is and therefore, he emerged from middle school whole and sure of himself and his values. The transition to a much bigger school went smoothly and in his words was 'underwhelming'. No, he's not an overachieving, straight A student, but Mackintosh prepared him to think critically and problem solve-something I think is lost in the CSAP driven world of many public schools. The specials classes were also so important for his development. I wish every school (including high school) would require kids to go to PE every day. I also loved that he had to be in the plays. It wasn't something he would have chosen, but he had fun with them and learned so much.

Posted November 12, 2007

Mackintosh provides a unique opportunity for children to grow intellectually and emotionally in a safe, caring environment with an outstanding 10-1 student/teacher ratio, with an authentic emphasis on the arts, both performing and visual.
—Submitted by a teacher

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian 5% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab