Posted May 07, 2015
My previous reviews keep getting removed. Wonder why? Maybe because Mack has something to hide. Other reviews also now mysteriously missing. Makes you wonder how accurate what you are reading is. There were negative reviews about Littleton, not just Boulder. This school stopped being a G&T school awhile ago. Now it's just an expensive IB school that talks about Gifted students, but doesn't really deal with them. The community is good. Some of the teachers are good. But ask questions about why they changed the Math program to reflect IB rather than GT, how your child's specific needs will be addressed and what recourse you have if there are problems.

Posted February 15, 2015
Neg reviews-Mack Boulder.Woman Head of School Littleton.Same board-VERY different schools. Littleton-been around very long time & deep rooted in educating gifted children. Gifted testing part of admission process. LOVE the school, the teachers, & the families. The community truly feels like a family. Teachers truly care, & are in great contact with parents. We get weekly e-mails of what the children are studying each week in school-with pics, & personal e-mails any time there is something specific for our child. We have been at Mack for 3 years. Projects are amazing, show their creativity, & knowledge gained. Social/emotional is part of IB curriculum. They really do educate the whole child, & respect the uniqueness of each child. Our ratios: 2:12, 2:17, 2:18. I am friends with all of his teachers. They work together with me as a team to do what is best for my son to help him thrive in every way. All are fantastic educators: friendly, caring, nurturing, & well-skilled at gifted education. My son had been bullied horrifically before Mack. Mack is a safe environment. He has been fine. I cannot sing enough praises of Mackintosh. So glad my child is getting to go. Worth every penny!

Posted January 24, 2015
We have an amazing teacher for our child. However, other issues with the school far outweigh the teaching. There are glaring issues that need to be addressed with the school. There is a total lack of written, structured system of rules, policies and procedures. I asked for a parent handbook, nada. Despite the fact that our child has been tested and is highly gifted, we found that they do not require testing of any sort as part of the application process. The schools seems to bank on the attraction of gifted to a gifted school, and a half day to full day visit to a classroom as their identification process. The teachers all state that they have experience with gifted, but its really hard to confirm, as well as confirm accreditation. There are serious inconsistencies in dealing with asynchronous learners, especially with children several deviations away from the norm. The leadership seems to be even less capable of dealing with highly gifted issues. In our experience the school seems to cater to the money and aim to meet the needs of kids just above the norm. Not worth the money for the highly gifted.

Posted November 20, 2014
After 3 years and 2 kids in the Primary Years at Mack Littleton we couldn't be happier with the professionalism, support, accommodation and community. Our kids are challenged and held accountable with kindness and compassion. Thriving academically, emotionally and socially they are coached in every aspect of their learning to take risks, inquire, communicate, contribute, make connections with the material and peers, and live respectfully. The focus on the whole child with their strengths AND quirks was a game changer for us. The staff is patient, insightful, enthusiastic, adept and supportive with this community of unique learners. The IB Programme fits well with our kids' creative learning styles, the differentiation is meeting our needs, and the social emotional focus has been transformative for our daughter. Past leaders/changes and facilities/resources were/are not always what we wish for, but things improve each year with the very committed, established and experienced Littleton staff. My kids come home happy, engaged, knowledgeable and empowered. It won't be a good fit for every child/family but it was life-changing for ours. Vet what's important to you and you'll know.

Mackintosh Academy 2

Posted November 05, 2014
This is a typical small private school. The teachers let the bullys run the place, not enough math levels, nepotism, not enough during and after-school opportunities, and some yelling teachers. Save your money the neighborhood schools are better.

Posted September 11, 2014
I have a 2e middle schooler and transferred here from the Public school-- it is the best thing I could have done! I wonder if the poor reviews are from parents who have not compared it to other schools, especially other public schools, and have unrealistic expectations. Mackintosh is caring and passionate about learning.

Posted May 30, 2014
This school does not help highly gifted children, just wealthy people with bright children. Most of the teachers left have no idea how to really challenge gifted children. The ideals if this school are great. What they say they will do is great, but it doesn't happen. They are so desperate for teachers that they hire anyone. The school simply doesn't live up to what it promises which is so sad because gifted children really do need a place like this. Luckily there are other options I suggest looking into them.

Posted May 14, 2014
I have just experienced my first year as a parent at Macintosh Academy, Littleton Campus and look very forward to my child attending many more years at this school. Our family has found the community of children/parents to be very welcoming and helpful; the administrative staff to be gracious, thoughtful, fair, and future minded; the teaching staff to be seasoned, caring, and lovingly creative when behavioral remedies have been necessary in the classroom with any child; and the IB curriculum to be well-suited for our gifted daughter. As with any educational facility, business, organization, corporation, partnership, family, couple or individual even - change is guaranteed. I suspect new leadership, new enrollments, new marketing strategies, and new teachers will bring about new thinking. It often does. Thus we are optimistic with the upcoming changes and will miss terribly the individuals that are departing. We highly recommend Mackintosh Academy, Littleton to anyone with gifted children who finds value in open-minded education enveloped in a challenging environment of care and understanding.

Mackintosh Academy 3

Posted March 09, 2014
There is such a thing as "too much change" - and while there was a big turnover 2 years ago, there have been some big turnovers this year, too. The head of the Boulder campus leaving, the head of the Littleton campus leaving, and the head of the board left and has been replaced. Will replacing 3 of the 4 heads at the top fix the issues? Doubtful. Some of the teachers are still amazing. If Mack survives this transition period, it will be due solely to them. But dig a bit and ask to see numbers (no transparency on their financials) & then ask to see what their 5 yr plan is & what facilities/resources (science lab, robust IT/computers plan, library, dining hall, extracurriculars) are MISSING and ask if they ever plan to bring them in & who will pay for it. The school talks all about 'gifted' &'twice-exceptional' kids, but when it comes to curriculum, the IB programme has won out and there's no room for gifted learners. No one wants to address this issue though. So IEPs get ignored in favor of class unity. Just don't have a problem here - there's no executive accountability and things will not be resolved. You will be lied to nicely & politely, but lied to, nonetheless.

Posted March 07, 2014
I have had both of my children at Mackintosh Littleton since 2002. My oldest daughter is in her 8th grade year. I can't be more happy with both of their educations. My older daughter is more than ready for high school and will be entering into honors and pre-IB classes, skipping Freshmen classes in Spanish, math, and science. Her poise and confidence foundation was because of her years at Mackintosh. My younger daughter delights in going to school every day and is challenged in her areas of strength of math and science. Both are receiving a consistent, quality education worth every penny. They are happy and joyful and get the opportunity to work with a highly qualified, dedicated, and happy staff. We have seen very little turn-over and 80% of the staff have been at the school 10+ years. Many families here have been here for years with all of their children attending. We are a tight community of positive learners who embrace learning, innovating, critical thinking, and most importantly, each other.

Mackintosh Academy