Bad
Good

We just enrolled our daughter at Leawood. We are a month into 4th grade and we couldn't be more impressed. Night and Day difference in the academic support she is receiving compared to the elementary school she attended last year. The principal and front office were welcoming. The teachers have been so professional providing extremely detailed weekly updates on what our student is learning and working on. I am excited to send my 4 year old to kindergarten here as well next year. Looking forward to many years here at Leawood.

Leawood is a solid school. My kids both choose to stay at Leawood after touring three other area schools (all bigger, two newer, and all seemingly more affluent). I will say that Leawood is not as stringent or militant about academics and test scores as some of the other schools in the area however this is precisely why I like Leawood. Stressing children out in elementary school regarding testing or hours upon hours of homework ultimately does not allow them to thrive. Leawood is nurturing and presents a balance between appropriate social interactions, academics, extracurricular activities and cultural awareness. When I have had difficulty, I have found most of the teaching staff and the principal extremely responsive and willing to work with me to support my children. This is a school where smiles and hugs are still okay, and accountability is delivered with kindness. Of course there's always room for improvement (oh how I despise Everyday Math) and I do wish the front exterior would be renovated however we have been extremely pleased and happy at Leawood. Go Lions!

Not too many years ago Leawood distinguished itself with its sense of community and parental involvement. This held true through several principals. Newer principal. Newer environment - one that doesn't encourage parental involvement, restrains two-way communication and not only doesn't solicit parental participation in policy- and decision-making, but goes out of the way to inhibit participation. So sad. Leawood can't compete academically and now the environment that encouraged adaptability, community and accountability seems gone. (And there are some great teachers there but can't imagine they are flourishing now esp. if they knew what it was like to teach there in years past.)

Our son went to kindergarten at Leawood. It was a terrible experience for all of us. After the first week of school he said he hated school- this from a child who loved preschool. Unfortunately, it only went downhill from there. His teacher had a rigid way of teaching and running her classroom and did not leave room for individual differences. She was not a warm person and rarely had positive things to say about our child. Creativity, free-thinking, and a love of learning were not cultivated here. It felt like our child was just a number at this school, not an individual human being. It was a very stressful experience and we pulled our child out at the end of the year. Luckily, his new school is fantastic. His teacher is a warm, caring person and he is flourishing there. He actually enjoys school now and is excited to talk about his day. His new school does a great job recognizing and rewarding positive behavior and attributes. This did not happen at Leawood. After a terrible year, it is wonderful to see him excited about school and learning. On a positive note, the school did try to build a sense of community and they encouraged parent involvement.

We have been amazed with Leawood Elementary. The preschool program has been phenomenal, exceeding our expectations and the leadership and staff have gone above and beyond to connect with the parents and kids. The parent participation is incredible and the warm, caring school environment is just what we were looking for. Our friends in neighboring schools, even schools rated a 10 are jealous of the experiences we have had and are hoping there will be room for choice enrollment into Leawood. We can't believe our luck in finding this gem of a school!

Our son attended the preschool program. We had 2 main problems with the program. First, they wanted to teach him beginning letter sounds after they reported that he could read at midway through the first grade, basically a waste of his time but we let it slide as we figured it was preschool and we enrolled him for social purposes. Second, the first field trip was Christmas related and as our family does not celebrate that holiday, we found this completely insensitive to our 4 year old. Ultimately, we pulled him out.

Mrs Rombach & Mrs Crosley, along with the specials team, have taken such a great interest and love for our daughter. Their caring and passion for laying the foundation for our daughter's education is an incredible feat that is accomplished every day. They truly love what they do, and it shines through to their students.

I love the pre-school and the 'tools of the mind curriculum.

This will be our 2nd year at Leawood and our kids love it! We have moved quite a bit and have been in several elementary schools. from the East Coast to the West. And I can say Leawood is the best school mty kids have ever attended.

Both of my daughters have attended Leawood Elementary and have been very happy. The teachers are all wonderful, the principal is world class and the curriculum is top notch. The school atmosphere is very nurturing and the sense of community seems to bring families together. I would HIGHLY recommend this school to anyone who is looking for a great place for their children.

Last modified Leawood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.