Bad
Good

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

I do not hear the stories of bullying at Mortensen like I do at other schools. I have friends with kids at other schools who have had a terrible time with bullying. My daughter experienced something in 1st grade and it was handled effectively and efficiently.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The Bulldog Be's: Be Respectful Be Responsible Be Ready to Learn They put this into practice in all areas of the school. I greatly appreciate this.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My kids receive what they need. When they were younger, all struggled a bit with reading and so they put some great interventions in place. As they have grown, they all excel in different areas so the teachers have put things in place to encourage and challenge them on to greater things.

Mortensen has been an excellent school for my children. The teachers have always sought to provide what they need. We receive great communication from the teachers and the school in general. There are so many opportunities for the kids. My children have participated in drama club, choir, spelling bee, and intramurals. We could not be more pleased. Next year our youngest will finish her time at Mortensen. I can't believe the time has gone by so quickly. When we first moved into the area, I was not excited about Mortensen and in fact started my oldest at another school, however we ended up returning to our neighborhood school and could not be more pleased.

This is a "gem of a school" - the motto our principal has been working on since her arrival. I believe she has succeeded. When we were looking at schools in the area 5 years ago Mortensen was not the gem it is today. However at Kindergarten information night their presentation was astonishing and blew us away with the behavioral expectations and how they were diving into reading and assimilating information at such an early age. This school has home grown clubs and activities such as drama, choir, run club, anti-bullying craft club (which was started by a student), and computer activities maned by a dedicated parent. The teachers go above and beyond both in the class room and beyond. There is a warm open feeling to this school, to make everyone feel welcome and included. The teachers have all been amazing, have been easy to work with and demand a great deal from their students. Their passion shows with our test scores increasing over the last few years. The specials teachers are amazing too offering the student body extracurricular activities based on their passions. Our principal has maned the helm of a great school and can always be seen supporting her students.

When selecting among schools in the area, Mortensen had the most knowledgeable staff and motivated teachers. My son is reading at least one grade level above thanks to the excellent curriculum and support from teachers. Parent involvement is also really high and there are many opportunities for learning beyond academics.

We are new to the school and I am thrilled with the small class size, amazing teachers and supportive staff... best school!

We were new to the community in Sept. 2011 - Mortensen was EXCEPTIONAL at welcoming my son to their excellent program. Outstanding group of teachers, excellent academics with appropriate challenge offered for all students needs, and a very friendly/positive environment with the kids. We're sooooo glad we chose this area to move to :)

Great school. Lots of extra activities for the kids like guitar,choir,craft club drama club, etc. Wonderful teachers and staff.

This school is great, my son has excelled since he started here and the teachers and administrators are all very supportive and when there is a behavior issue with a kid they address it immediately.

Last modified Mortensen Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.