Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

After continuous disrespect from letting students out late, I made a complaint with the office! Not leaving my name or the student I pick up! The confidentiality of my number was then passed to the teacher and looked up for a call to my home! I made an anonymous complaint to the office regarding an issue that has happened for half of the school year and affects numerous students as well as parents that have the same complaint! I chose not to speak with the teacher regarding the issue as she's already shown continuous disrespect to the parents and family members of her students! This tops the cake on top of the her Renda's parking issues that lead to extreme unsafe conditions for the students at the school!

In the last couple years with the new administration, decisions are made that are in the best interest of the adults but not always the students. Powderhorn has lost its sense of community because decisions are made for academic reason and not with the needs of educating "the whole child". The PTA and community are amazing! The PTA goes above and beyond to educate "the whole child" through the variety of events and volunteer opportunities.

Powderhorn is a great school. Our kids have gone there for the past 8 years. It has gotten bigger the last couple years and has lost its community feel. Decisions at the school are made based on what is best academically but not always with relationships or community in mind. My students are both high achievers and often their needs weren't met because they were flexible learners that would do well anywhere without any special attention. My heart aches for the loss of community.

Amount of homework: Agree

The amount of homework depends on the specific grade level. It varies by grade level.

The teachers and full staff are amazing. The do an amazing job to making every kid feel special and to tailor special instruction based on each students abilities and needs. My kids love this place and are doing very well academically!

Powderhorn elementary is an AMAZING school, one if the best in Colorado I believe! I feel that each day my child's needs are met in a very positive way. When a concern arises her teacher contacts me in a professional manner. Parents are encouraged to teach alongside the teacher at home to help their child meet the rigorous state standards. I feel that the kindergarten homework is aligned perfectly to both state standards and to what my child works on weekly at school. I love homework because it gives me the chance to sit down and get to know my child. You aren't able to request teachers but if you are lucky enough to get Mrs. Czarnek you will not be disappointed, she is loving, a strong teacher, very good at communicating with parents and has a love for learning. She is easy to relate to and I feel confident in dropping my child off at the door with her everyday. I feel welcome every time I step foot in the building from the facility staff to Ms. Rosemary greeting me at the front desk with a smile and positive attitude. I could not have asked for a better first schooling experience for my daughter and I can't wait to see what the rest of the future holds at Powderhorn.

Powderhorn is a large (600+ students) elementary school with wonderful teachers/staff and above average test scores. Unfortunately, a new principal started in 2013 and has totally changed the dynamics of the school. Parent involvement has decreased (so much so that we probably won't have a PTA next year) and the community feeling is gone. There is not much support for parents - and the new principal doesn't take the time to get to know parents or understand their concerns.

My daughter had some behavioral issues at the beginning of the year and the support and attention given to her by the staff and teachers was amazing. Not only did they help address her anxiety, but by being so empathetic to her needs as well as my concerns as a parent, she no longer is exhibiting negative behavior. I couldn't be happier with Powderhorn as a whole. The staff and teachers truly care about their school and community and that is infectious. I have 3 children and have every intention of sending every one of them to Powderhorn!

The teachers and staff at Powderhorn have their priorities in order and as a parent I couldn't be happier. The school motto is to be respectful, resonsible and safe. They really live and teach that everyday. It's a great school and the kids are happy there! What more could you want?

Powderhorn is a great school. The PTO is very active and we LOVE the Watchdog Dad program. The teachers and staff are always nice and you can tell they love the kids. However, if you have a GT child, this is not the place for you. The GT's are dropped through the cracks, which I am sure is common for Public Schools. There are over 650 kids and for the handful that are GT, there is no advocation or extra focus. The lack of understanding that the GT children require and the social and curricular needs are simply not met. This is a great school for the "average" student.

Last modified Powderhorn Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.