Heritage Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 413 students

Posted May 21, 2013

This school has been a nightmare for my 12 year old daughter. She has been in Heritage Middle School for 6 months now and has been continuously bullied the entire time. The teachers and staff just stand by and do nothing and even support and make excuses for the bullies. I was told by the counsler that "these kids all have difficult home lives", and thats why they act this way, as if that some how "okays" their behavior! Just a quick rundown of what my child has had to endure while at this school: she gets physically threatend by both male and female students, she gets called every curse word imaginable on a daily basis, they also call her weird, ugly and stupid daily, they steal her belongings, and break her belongings right in front of her. The staff knows of ALL of this and still does nothing. My daughter has managed to make 1 friend this past 6 months and its a boy that is also harassed and bullied on a daily basis. The only positive was her S.S. teacher (Mr. Marshal) and her MESA class. I would NEVER recomend anyone putting their child in this awful school. The teachers and staff are among some of the most unprofessional and incompetent group of "educators" I have ever seen.

Posted August 17, 2010

I have mixed feelings about this school. One son went on to Skyline- did okay. my youngest now at Heritage. Nothing but issues--hispanic students calling him bad names in spanish, getting pushed around by older students, a really horrible experience with an Language Arts "teacher" . The principal and vice principal do try, but for the most part the teachers look down on us working parents and think that we don't try to put our kids first and are just arrogant and /or burned out. If I could afford the travel expenses, I would move my child to maybe Longs Peak at least. Just hope it improves more than it did last year.

Posted April 14, 2010

this is a very poor school, other newer schools have been built in the area serving newer more affluent subdivisions. The teachers, councelors, and administrators are caring and do the best they can with their limited budget, but it is sad to see these children have to deal with rundown facilities simply because they reside in less affluent neighborhoods. The newer schools are quite close to this school and the children are aware of the discepancies in what is offered. I wonder how that affects their self-esteem? My 2 favorite things about this school are the overnight science trip taken in the fall, where the kids spend a couple of days at a Salvation Army Retreat and study nature. I accompanied my son's clasxs on this trip and observed alot of children experience an outdoor world they were unfamiliar with and the wonder of that discovery. The music program at this school is also excellent, the voice teacher and the orchestra teacher are both dedicated professionals who bring a whole arena for children to excel and gain esteem.

Posted May 20, 2009

I have worked at Heritage Middle School since 2000 and two things bring me back year after year. One is the excellent teaching staff. Heritage teachers work hard and work together to promote success for their students. The second is the students. You will meet tons of creative and hardworking kids at our school. Heritage also offers a wide range of programs from the IB Middle Years Program for our advanced students to the Newcomers program for students new to speaking English. We also have exceptional technology labs and a talented music department. If you are considering sending your child to Heritage, I invite you to come to our school and check us out. I think you will like what you see.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 28, 2007

I've had one child graduate to Skyline High School from Heritage and have 2 children there now on their 2nd year. Overall I have not been too impressed with Heritage. There is a huge gap of communication from teachers to parents. I can't stand the PRIDE program because I think it singles out students and stereotypes your children. I have offered myself as a volunteer for fieldtrips, food, help with supplies, but have not gotten one phone call to help. I've had a problem with a teacher treating my student poorly, with no solution from the principal other than a face to face blowout confrontation. I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. To difficult for us to transfer our girls to another school. Our solution...get involved with everything!

Posted May 15, 2007

I am a student at HMS and the acedimic programs, are excellent, but the PRIDE program, where if you don't have your homework, materials, and if your tardy, you have to stay after school, is ridiculous. I absolutely despise it because it is very unfair even if you don't get it (I haven't got it once). The art, music, sports and clubs are all great, and the level of parent involvement is above average, but not excellent.

Posted January 3, 2007

I go and have gone to Heritage for all of middle school, and there have only been arguments, and those happen everywhere. There are peer mediators, counselors, and a student council. There are after school clubs for every thing, and all the teachers are great! IB is great, but so are normal classes, since i was here for one year before IB. Everyone can chose their electives, and there are plenty of choces.

Posted January 27, 2006

New IB program seems to really challenge the kids. Higher level questions and thinking.

Posted October 25, 2005

This school had good academic programs. The band instrustor there was very good and so was the track coach. Parent involvement was ok and could have used more. I liked going to this school. The student bod there was good.

Posted August 21, 2005

My daughter has attended 1 year, 7th grade, at Heritage last year and will be attending 8th grade this year. We moved to Longmont last September, 2004, and she was placed in the advanced program during her 3rd day in school, at her own request since she was in the Gifted and Talented program at her previous school. She loves Heritage, all I've heard all summer is how she can't wait until school starts again. She did have difficulties with one of her 7th grade teachers, but it is our understanding that that teacher was NOT asked to return this year. She has never reported any bullies at the school to me and she does know about this type of activity after having attended school since kindergarden in some rougher schools in Adams County in Denver. I do not think parents are active as I have never been contacted.

Posted May 8, 2005

This is such a good school because: it has so many good natured good students. It doesn't have that many fights. There of course every school cant have 725 good students its not probable. The availability of music and arts and sports are really great at this school because you have to take pe at least every year once if you decide to join band or qurie or orchersta you have to take it all year and thats a good thing.

Posted January 13, 2005

I am a student at Heritage. I know there has been a few reports about gangs but I have been there 3 years and I havent had a problem. The teachers here are always thinking about us. The school also has good activitys to keep us busy. There is art club, sports, book club, and a choir and band you have to try out for, and many differnt clubs. In the advanced math class, our teacher is teaching us a high school level math. If we need help in any of our classes, our teachers here would be happy to stay after school and help us out. The teachers also respect us as they would an adult. They would never let us get harrassed. Everyone can think what they want, but until you have talked to the teachers or event the students please dont disrespect our school.

Posted January 3, 2005

I go to HEritage Middle School and last year it had a bad kid and 'gang' reputation. But this year it's a LOT better. Last year I got jumped at least like 5 times, but this year the principle suspended or expelled all the really bad kids and it has just improved a LOT. I mean, yea, I still don't like some people but it's not a school that I'm scared of anymore, to tell the truth, last year I feared for my life, but this year, it's just....awesome.

Posted September 9, 2004

Wasn't impressed with this school at all. My son hated it; he's much happier in skyline high school. They really dont believe the children if they have a problem.

Posted August 7, 2004

Heritage Middle School has come along way. I have 2 children. One who has completed all 3 grades and 1 who has completed (so far) 1 grade. We have had no trouble at all. The teachers have been great and the programs that they offer are great. They have teachers and principles in the hallways during passing period. There are no armed police officers there. There is a Student Resource Officer there daily, just like all other public schools. I think people need to give Heritage Middle School the credit that it deserves for the progress that it has made to better itself. I'm inpressed.

Posted March 3, 2004

I think Heritage is a great school. The teachers care, the extra activities are great, so are the field trips. I have gone on a few as a parent. I have a 6th grade girl. I know of no security guards, armed or unarmed and think the students in my daughters class are respectful. The teachers really go out of their way to help the kids and teach them.

Posted January 22, 2004

I had two children attend this school. The seventh grader lasted only one semester before I had to start home schooling. The sixth grader is bullied by her classmates and disregarded by her teachers. There are adult security guards posted at each end of the hallway during passing periods, and kids are still bullied. There are no busses to transport kids, therefore, the parking lot in the morning is a safety hazard. There are armed police on this school grounds all day long. I would transfer my kids if I could but the district won't let me. Therefore, home school is my option. I would not send them there again if I had to.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

All Students33%

Limited English proficiency (LEP)12%
Proficient in English27%
Neither migrant nor immigrant25%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 79%N/A41%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

233 East Mountain View