Longmont, CO

Heritage Middle School 1

Posted May 21, 2013
This school has been a nightmare for my 12 year old daughter. She has been in Heritage Middle School for 6 months now and has been continuously bullied the entire time. The teachers and staff just stand by and do nothing and even support and make excuses for the bullies. I was told by the counsler that "these kids all have difficult home lives", and thats why they act this way, as if that some how "okays" their behavior! Just a quick rundown of what my child has had to endure while at this school: she gets physically threatend by both male and female students, she gets called every curse word imaginable on a daily basis, they also call her weird, ugly and stupid daily, they steal her belongings, and break her belongings right in front of her. The staff knows of ALL of this and still does nothing. My daughter has managed to make 1 friend this past 6 months and its a boy that is also harassed and bullied on a daily basis. The only positive was her S.S. teacher (Mr. Marshal) and her MESA class. I would NEVER recomend anyone putting their child in this awful school. The teachers and staff are among some of the most unprofessional and incompetent group of "educators" I have ever seen.

Heritage Middle School 2

Posted August 17, 2010
I have mixed feelings about this school. One son went on to Skyline- did okay. my youngest now at Heritage. Nothing but issues--hispanic students calling him bad names in spanish, getting pushed around by older students, a really horrible experience with an Language Arts "teacher" . The principal and vice principal do try, but for the most part the teachers look down on us working parents and think that we don't try to put our kids first and are just arrogant and /or burned out. If I could afford the travel expenses, I would move my child to maybe Longs Peak at least. Just hope it improves more than it did last year.

Heritage Middle School

Posted April 14, 2010
this is a very poor school, other newer schools have been built in the area serving newer more affluent subdivisions. The teachers, councelors, and administrators are caring and do the best they can with their limited budget, but it is sad to see these children have to deal with rundown facilities simply because they reside in less affluent neighborhoods. The newer schools are quite close to this school and the children are aware of the discepancies in what is offered. I wonder how that affects their self-esteem? My 2 favorite things about this school are the overnight science trip taken in the fall, where the kids spend a couple of days at a Salvation Army Retreat and study nature. I accompanied my son's clasxs on this trip and observed alot of children experience an outdoor world they were unfamiliar with and the wonder of that discovery. The music program at this school is also excellent, the voice teacher and the orchestra teacher are both dedicated professionals who bring a whole arena for children to excel and gain esteem.

Heritage Middle School 5

Posted May 20, 2009
I have worked at Heritage Middle School since 2000 and two things bring me back year after year. One is the excellent teaching staff. Heritage teachers work hard and work together to promote success for their students. The second is the students. You will meet tons of creative and hardworking kids at our school. Heritage also offers a wide range of programs from the IB Middle Years Program for our advanced students to the Newcomers program for students new to speaking English. We also have exceptional technology labs and a talented music department. If you are considering sending your child to Heritage, I invite you to come to our school and check us out. I think you will like what you see.

Heritage Middle School 2

Posted August 28, 2007
I've had one child graduate to Skyline High School from Heritage and have 2 children there now on their 2nd year. Overall I have not been too impressed with Heritage. There is a huge gap of communication from teachers to parents. I can't stand the PRIDE program because I think it singles out students and stereotypes your children. I have offered myself as a volunteer for fieldtrips, food, help with supplies, but have not gotten one phone call to help. I've had a problem with a teacher treating my student poorly, with no solution from the principal other than a face to face blowout confrontation. I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. To difficult for us to transfer our girls to another school. Our solution...get involved with everything!

Posted May 15, 2007
I am a student at HMS and the acedimic programs, are excellent, but the PRIDE program, where if you don't have your homework, materials, and if your tardy, you have to stay after school, is ridiculous. I absolutely despise it because it is very unfair even if you don't get it (I haven't got it once). The art, music, sports and clubs are all great, and the level of parent involvement is above average, but not excellent.

Heritage Middle School 5

Posted January 03, 2007
I go and have gone to Heritage for all of middle school, and there have only been arguments, and those happen everywhere. There are peer mediators, counselors, and a student council. There are after school clubs for every thing, and all the teachers are great! IB is great, but so are normal classes, since i was here for one year before IB. Everyone can chose their electives, and there are plenty of choces.

Posted January 27, 2006
New IB program seems to really challenge the kids. Higher level questions and thinking.

Heritage Middle School 3

Posted October 25, 2005
This school had good academic programs. The band instrustor there was very good and so was the track coach. Parent involvement was ok and could have used more. I liked going to this school. The student bod there was good.

Posted August 21, 2005
My daughter has attended 1 year, 7th grade, at Heritage last year and will be attending 8th grade this year. We moved to Longmont last September, 2004, and she was placed in the advanced program during her 3rd day in school, at her own request since she was in the Gifted and Talented program at her previous school. She loves Heritage, all I've heard all summer is how she can't wait until school starts again. She did have difficulties with one of her 7th grade teachers, but it is our understanding that that teacher was NOT asked to return this year. She has never reported any bullies at the school to me and she does know about this type of activity after having attended school since kindergarden in some rougher schools in Adams County in Denver. I do not think parents are active as I have never been contacted.

Heritage Middle School