Public charter
Longmont, CO
Students enrolled: 1,050

Twin Peaks Charter Academy 3

Posted June 05, 2015
If you had asked me a year ago, I would have said its a great school. However this year, my son's teacher really changed my mind. She punished my son for not finishing his work by placing him in the hallway while the other students had cupcakes and enjoyed a spring break party. I felt that was extremely wrong to do to a 7 year old. She also failed to schedule 3rd and 4th quarter parent/teacher conference with me. As a result I had no idea that my son had received a D on his 3rd quarter report. She also took it upon herself to sign me up for electronic report cards, even though I specifically requested a paper report. The last week of school I found out that my son had been bullied in class by another student. I emailed the teacher only to receive a sarcastic and condescending reply. When I conveyed these issues to the office, I was told my information had been given to the principal. The principal obviously doesn't care, she never responded. needles to say, I'm moving my family to a new school. And I won't be back to Twin Peaks.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 01, 2015
Just to tolerate the administration, the students have to be confident and thick skinned. Great job preparing them for the prejudices of the real world.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted June 01, 2015
How when the administration has no respect for others? Ask me if it promotes hatred and bigotry.

Twin Peaks Charter Academy 1

Posted May 30, 2015
This school shows no support for the students who need help talking about sexuality. Not only that, the school has told me that I do not belong because there are better students who could be in my chair. I attended twin peaks for 1.5 years before I knew that this school is a huge joke. The staff are terrible and show no effort into helping students pass their classes. The work load is higher than college courses with no benefit otherwise. DO NOT ATTEND THIS SCHOOL.

Posted May 14, 2015
Our kids are just finishing their second year at Twin Peaks and I cannot say enough good things about this school. My kids teachers have been amazing and everyone I have had contact with (Board, principles, teachers, office staff, custodians!) is engaged with and committed to the school. The level of qualified instruction from highly educated teachers (many have Masters degrees!) coupled with the Core Knowledge curriculum and the Singapore Math program has renewed my children's love of learning which had been squashed at their last school. I've been beyond impressed. Not only with the regular classroom instruction, but with the "specials" teachers and how they tie the curriculum map into their lessons. One example that showcases this: the elementary art teacher didn't just give an assignment to the class, but patiently explained to 3rd graders how the quality of light from Vermeer's studio windows influenced his paintings. How did I know?...my 8 year old daughter told me after school that day. Mind blown. I'd never before seen this level of instruction before. To sum up...It took 3 years for us to win the admissions lottery and I am SO glad we stuck it out.

Posted February 02, 2015
My child started at Twin Peaks in the 9th grade. He did well and attended for two years, then insisted for his junior year that he wanted to transfer to the local high school with over a thousand students. This did not go well- it has an open campus and his attendance became a real issue. Thankfully, he was able to transfer back to Twin Peaks. I can't say enough good things about the principal and staff at Twin Peaks who helped us with the transfer. These are people that really care about their students! He just did not feel academically challenged at the other school (although he was in honors classes) and I believe was overwhelmed by the sea of students. Twin Peaks has less than two hundred in the high school. The teachers really know their students and it just seems to be a great group of kids that attend. My son is a person who really enjoys learning and he is excited about his classes again. I feel such a relief to have him back at this school!

Posted January 29, 2015
This is the third year my daughter has attended TPCA. We were happy with the school the day we walked in. We knew this was a great fit for our daughter. The office staff is always very friendly and helpful, great teachers, and a very knowledgeable principal. The expectations are high for the students academically and socially and that is what we were looking for. The environment of the school is clean, safe and a place to learn. No bullying allowed. I would highly recommend TPCA to anyone.

Posted October 28, 2014
I have 2 students at TPCA, one in 6th grade and one in 8th grade. What initially drew us to this school was the level of academic success, the character focus, and the dress code. I have been very happy with all the teachers, they are both understanding of students and challenging. There has been a lot of help in the subjects my students have a hard time with and when they complain about being bored, or it is too easy, the teachers have been supportive in finding activities that challenge them and keep school interesting. There is a strong sense of community among the students, parents, and staff of TPCA, all are working together to give and get the best education possible.

Twin Peaks Charter Academy 4

Posted October 02, 2014
We have been at TPCA for 3 years.Two children. Lower elementary. It is a lot of work (homework and parental involvement both), but my children are learning a ton and they love the school, their teachers, and friends. One thing that makes the school special is the core knowledge curriculum that creates holistic learning and ensures they don't study the same things over and over. And the emphasis on good character positively affects the whole dynamic of the school. Almost without exception, the teachers genuinely care and the kids love them. When my child struggled with a subject, the teacher was quick to get tailored instructional assistance to get her up to speed without any sense of shame. The school is growing, which certainly creates some bumps in the road and transition pains, but I feel like the staff and families are working hard to keep the school headed in the right direction. Coming in, I had some concerns about the school being too rigid (dress code, etc.), but I have been really pleased with my children's experiences at the school and they love it.

Posted August 04, 2014
We have 3 children at the school and I have to say that it's been a great experience. My kids do have a lot of homework but it's very manageable, and necessary if the school is going to provide them with a better than average education. If they need it they readily get help from their teachers. It really does feel like a family and if there are any problems with other students, it's handled quickly. Bullying has never been an issue with us, but like every other school in Colorado it exists. The teachers and administration make us feel very comfortable with the way they handle it. We were already aware of their great reputation for academics before we visited Twin Peaks for the first time....but what sold us the first time.....and in our decision to send the rest of our kids...was how comfortable they fit in. They were happy and other than an education, that's what was important to us.

340 South Sunset St, Longmont, CO  80501
Last modified Twin Peaks Charter Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Twin Peaks Charter Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 76 reviews. Top