PK-6|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I really miss my time at Mountain Peak School. Without my study of six years at Mountain Peak I could not have done so well in my new middle schools. Going to Mountain Peak helped get an advantage academically over my peers at my middle schools. At Mountain Peak I had not only built a solid foundation of my knowledge but also learned how to behave as a good kid. I had learned to respect teachers and classmates, self-control, and how to do teamwork well. At Mountain Peak I got much more care and attention from my teachers than at my middle school. Former student.
March 05, 2015

Bad
Good

Posted November 18, 2015
We were very disappointed with our local S.T.E.M. and IB public preschool. Late start days, countless days off, endless unqualified substitute teachers to cover the times when the teacher had meetings scheduled DURING class time, overcrowding. I volunteered often and the class was in total chaos most days. The teacher was disorganized and used YouTube videos to "teach" the kids letters (read babysit) while she got caught up on administrative duties. The kids did not learn phonics. Instead, they were presented with sight words to memorize. If a child can't sound out words, how can they possibly learn how to read? The kids got a nametag and were told to trace it, but were never given any directional arrows or guidance so my son learned how to write his letters incorrectly, writing them backwards, upside down, etc. When I asked the teacher if she could make him a nametag with arrows to fix the problem, she said, "We have an I-pad app for that." When my son finally did have his I-pad time, he was always given a game that had nothing to do with letter tracing. Also, they rarely did craft projects and, worse, my son was getting hit, kicked, pushed, having his hair pulled, pinched, etc. on a daily basis, most of which went unnoticed due to the ridiculous class size and lack of staff. Fed up, we switched to Mountain Peak for Pre-K and couldn't be happier. Our son attends 5 days a week, has a consistent schedule without late starts, constant substitutes and days off. The kids, parents and teachers are amazing, kind, caring and committed. Our son's teacher is excellent and very well organized. His class size is very small so he gets a lot of individualized attention and isn't lost in the shuffle. He learned more in his first week at Mtn. Peak than he did in the entire year at the public S.T.E.M. school. He's learning Zoophonics, is sounding out words and is starting to read (at age 4). He's learning how to write correctly, counting, doing math, doing lots of interesting crafts and science experiments. He's not getting picked on by the other kids. He has PE and recess, reasonable screen time and opportunities to socialize safely with older kids, which has boosted his self confidence. We had reservations about sending him to such a small school, but now we feel this is the best decision we've made. It's well worth the money.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted March 05, 2015

Posted September 05, 2014
Here's what I have learned in the first ten days of school. My daughter has done more, learned more, and become better at many skills that we worked on all summer during public summer school. While many people I know are struggling with early release days, teacher in-service, (already?!) and no real work being done because everyone is still "adjusting" to school starting; my daughter is learning computer skills, developing her writing skills, going to the library and learning! Mountain Peaks is teaching my daughter, because, isn't that why we put our kids in school in the first place? My daughter, by the way, is in pre-k, so the impact of what the teachers do at Mountain Peaks is immediately noticeable. Thanks Mountain Peaks!!

Posted August 24, 2014
Our son just started middle school after spending his entire grade school years at Mountain Peak. He went from a quiet, shy student who would have been left alone in the public school system (because he would have just done what was asked) to a student who just tested into 8th grade math and advanced language arts. He is a well rounded student who has stepped right into middle school and has made numerous friends. A small investment in our child's education was the best money we've ever spent. We can't thank Mountain Peak enough.

Posted July 19, 2014
My daughter started this school in January of her last year in pre-school. When she began she could not read or write, she new her letters and numbers and that was about it. By the end of the school year she could write all her numbers and letters, knew the sounds the letters made and was reading. She is now entering 1st grade, reading at a 2nd grade level can do basic math, knows basic geography and can tell time. It is not just the academic part of the school that is so fantastic with only 10 kids per class, she has a personal relationship with her teachers and they all care deeply about the students. Every day the kids have PE as well as their recess so there is lots of time for fun and exercise. She is excited to learn and enjoys going to school. Mountain Peaks is great for building well rounded, kind, intelligent children that care about each other as well as their community.

Posted April 12, 2014
Mountain Peak is a fantastic school - all of the staff members take the time to get to know each student and they are all excellent educators. Our child loves going to school because the teachers make the lessons fun and engaging. We are very grateful to all the good folks at Mountain Peak!

Posted April 08, 2014
Over the top in everything they do. We are so glad to have found Mountain Peak....

Posted April 08, 2014
We were searching for a great pre-school for our daughter. We looked at public schools, charter schools, all the usual suspects. We toured a few, put our names in the hat and waited. While we waited we came across Mountain Peaks, and we were thrilled! Mountain Peaks not only showed us they cared about the kids they teach, but showed us they aren't afraid to teach. Our pre-school teacher is amazing, and our daughter loves school. We are so happy with how our daughter has grown and is always challenged at school. It may be pre-school, but these kids have lessons to learn, and they love learning. Thanks Mountain Peaks for making our decision so easy, and for caring about our daughter and her education as much as we do!

Posted March 27, 2014
As a mother of a 4-yr old, looking for schools was overwhelming. When we found Mountain Peak, I was impressed with how much attention every students gets. Within each classroom the students are so involved with their class they are not distracted by anything outside of their classroom. My son is very social and loves to play with other children, so it was important to me to not only have a good teaching environment but to have a great social one as well. In the 2.5hr PreK day, he has bloomed over the past year from not wanting to color or write at all, into a being able to write his full name and color mostly within the lines (He is only 4 I have to remind myself). Mrs. Harms is very understanding of each child's needs within the class and knows how to motivate them into learning. The progress of my son is evident in the inventive art projects - paint, construction paper, markers - which come home on a daily basis. He loves to show me everything he has done that day. He would say his favorite thing about school is P.E.- scoring a hockey goal on Mr. Buckett. Thank you Mountain Peak!! Can't wait for Kindergarden.

Posted March 27, 2014
From the moment you step into this school you can tell they are passionate about creating an evironment that enables the students to thrive and excel. We are only in our first year with Mountain Peak but I can't even imagine sending our son anywhere else. From the staff that greats you and your child by name every day to all the opportunities to get involved with the classroom and other parents, this school proves that they are commited to ensuring each child gets a quality education that is far and above what you would expect elsewhere.

Mountain Peak Private School
1833 Sunset Place, Longmont, CO  80501
Last modified Mountain Peak Private School is a Private school that serves grades PK-6
Mountain Peak Private School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 56 reviews. Top