Bad
Good

I moved my child here after 5 years in a local Longmont Charter school. My child was behind in Math and writing but motivated to learn. The wonderful staff at Altona allowed him to choose the courses he wanted to take. He was able to challenge himself, work hard and get caught up in Math and will be taking all honors courses in high school. This would not have been possible if we had stayed at the local Charter school. Thanks to the wonderful staff at Altona and the exemplary education they offer to our children. I am so sorry that we wasted our time in a Charter, please do your research before you make that choice for your own children.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I think the teachers at this school is very effective because they find every way to help out. They also, try to find out how to help and they reach ot to help and see if everything is ok. If they notice something isn't right they will pull you aside and see what is wrong and they will try to help you through that. They also, have wonderful special ed teachers and they give you all the help you need and they are alwasy there for you and if you need to talk to someone or feeling not yourself all you have to do if you are in special ed is go talk to your special ed teachers or your case manger. They are very helpful.

Amount of homework: Agree

Math gives you homework everyday and english sometimes gives you homework and then science may give you homework but all the time and history rarely have homework. If you take Spanish it probably gives you homework and sometimes FCS will but you will always have homework in math and if you do music. But the homework isn't too hard but it isn't too easy either they give you just enough to do a night.And they won't give you too much homework that they know that won't be done for the next day.

Develops character: Strongly agree

They don't favor any student. For example, if a student gets in a fight with another student both students get in trouble for fighting. They also are honest with you about everything. They have integrity and lets you say everything on your side and not just cut you short.

I went to Altona Middle School for my 8th grade year which was a few years ago. But they have great education and they help you out. They will help you if you ask for it. They have homework club and you get in their by being behind in homework. The teachers are nice and only there to help you. They also will stay after school to help you but you have to ask for it. Also, if you talk to the teacher they may be able to help you before school starts. They have good sports like volleyball and basketball and track, I did two sports there and they were good team work. When I got hurt I still showed up and I still cheered them on and they were really nice to me. The old vice principal was very nice adn now they have to a new vice principal. I also heard they got a new principal and I know the new principal he use to be a vice principal at another middle school I went to.he is there and he is really good. I would reccommand this middle school to anyone looking for a good middle school.

My school Altona I went to Altona for my last year of middle school and I loved it. It was much challenging then my last school was. I also, thought that the special ed department was very helpful to me. They had awesome teachers. And at the time I was there awesome vice principal but they have a new vice principal. The counclors were so nice they would talk to you about what you need to talk about. They also had less bullying if any then my other school. I love it I wish I went to Altona for all 3 years. Go Rattlers!!! I also like how the motto was don't tread on me. I love the whole school.

What I want people to know is that Altona is riding on the fact that it has upscale students who would succeed anywhere. The environment is toxic and the teachers are belittling and mean. Students learn despite huge class sizes and mean, uncaring teachers who are unhappy and take it out on the students. If I knew then what I know now, I would not have started my child at Altona. Trying to communicate with the teachers or the administration is an exercise in frustration. They do not answer phone messages or e-mails. The parking lot is an utter nightmare at arrival and dismissal. The only program worth anything there is music. The rest in mediocre at best. If you value a nurturing environment or communication with your child's teachers, do not send your child to Altona

First let me begin by saying this is a great school and the scores speak for themselves. This is the stand out school in a mediocre district. The culture is very supportive and focuses on conflict resolution as it relates to bullying which is critical this day and age. Now for the "Don't Tread On Me" review and a history lesson. The school formed in 2006 and the Gadsden flag and its statement goes back to 1751 and Ben Franklin. 2009 is when the Tea Party decided to use the flag as their rally call. Before you inappropriately rate a school because of your ignorance and ideology, learn your history and rate a school on their achievements and culture. Take a look at their Facebook page and see the 10 minute Whitehouse.gov video of the 2011 8th graders meeting one-on-one with Pres. Obama that rarely happens. Diversity is a hallmark of this country. Don't let some extremist, closed-minded left winger that chooses to remain uninformed dissuade you from being a part of a great school. A well rounded school that doesn't change its history or founding principals because of another group's use of a flag and motto shows character and conviction. I chose that example for my kids.

Did anyone ever ask? Why is the Rattlesnake the school mascot? For that answer click on 'Don't tread on me' on the schools website page and go to the Gadsden.info link. You are in for a surprise you might want to have a 'Tea Party' about! Just not okay for a public school!!!!!!! I would rate it a negative 10 if I could.

This a a great school. Both of my daughters attended Altona in the past. I cannot imagine a better expereince. Principal is wonderful. He holds his teachers and students to high standards, but also seems very supportive. Altona has a great community feel. Students seem proud to be a part of it and confident in their belonging. Teachers are very professional and knowledge in educating young adolescents. I have volunteered in the past and have never seen any bullying. Can't say enought good things about this place!

Last modified Altona Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.