Flagstaff Charter Academy

Charter | PK-8 | 815 students

Posted September 11, 2013

Flagstaff Academy is a great school which is maturing from a pioneer to an institution. Students and parents are actively involved in everything - classroom, extracurricular - and teachers and adminstrators pay close attention to test scores as the basis for performance measures. The review below which indicates that FA cares less about the welfare of the kids than test scores is unfair. Administrators are in the process of transitioning on a number of fronts and test scores are a measurement that is valuable. The school absolutely does not discourage parental involvement, that is the complete opposite of my experience. What I've experienced is my son learned how to read, has become much better at math than I have at this age, and has developed a group of close friends. If anything, the school attempts to communicate too much info, and solicit too much parental involvement. But I'd rather too much than too little. Our experience with Flagstaff has been excellent, and I hope if you are looking for an early education which is hands on, disciplined, involved then this would be an excellent school to consider for your child.

Posted September 11, 2013

This school is a huge disappointment! I would think long and hard before enrolling in this school. Teachers are too young and inexperienced and admistration is lazy and discourages any sort of parent involement. Grades are slipping and the administration thinks being average is great. If you are alright with spening a fortune in tutoring your child on the side then go ahead.

Posted May 17, 2013

Flagstaff Academy is falling behind from a few years back. The adminstration is more concerned with the testing scores than the welfare of the children. They discourage parent involment and there is a lack of communication. Too much pressure on the children!

Posted February 5, 2013

Are you a quirky, nerdy, or very silly kid? If yes, FA is the school for you. FA nurtures and cherishes the curious child. Expect to get dirty and maybe a little chocolatey in Science class. You might NOT be asked to write many "descriptive" stories, but expect to write quite a few "creepy" and "juicy" ones. Math homework is a breeze with the new online tutorials that correspond with each lesson. Walk into FA, and look for the student-made stain glass window, worthy of a Baroque cathedral and a massive stone Aztec sun calendar towering overhead. Don't be alarmed by power outages or levitating balls, or worms and lizards, or tepees and Chinese dragons. It's kind of crazy at FA, but it's rich with learning and happy children. After five full wonderful years, we could not be happier or more satisfied with the education and the environment that FA has provided for our children.

Posted February 4, 2013

Flagstaff provides a top-notch education. I had 2 kids transfer in last year. One was behind grade level, and the teacher & Intervention Specialist did amazing work encouraging her and help her meet realistic expectations. This year she is caught up and no longer on an ILP. Most importantly, her self-esteem has soared! Her teacher this year is absolutely wonderful, very cheerful & encouraging. I have been impressed by the principal Mr. Moore, the middle school staff, the middle school admin, Dr. Warren & Mr. Pugh. A good team all around. I have been especially pleased with how well trained the kids are in doing research projects, starting at the youngest grades. Honestly, I have been impressed with all the teaching staff that I have interacted with, which has been a lot of them!

Posted November 18, 2012

I have a first grade student and a 7th grade student attending Flagstaff. This is our first year at the school and have been so very pleased with the school. The teachers, staff and leadership are all outstanding and truly go above and beyond. My 7th grader has struggled with math and reading for which we are finally seeing positive growth and results. Thank you Flagstaff!!!!

Posted September 14, 2012

Moving our kids to this school has been the best decision we have made. The school culture is one of kindness and respect. The curriculum is excellent and the teachers are engaging. We love the amazing work our kids are doing at such a young age. I wish more children would have the opportunity to be exposed to this type of education. Thank you Flagstaff!

Posted May 24, 2012

Disappointed! This year I have made a tremendous effort to drive my child all the way to this open enrollment school but my child has fell behind academically in language arts and in other areas. There are boys at the school who are emotionally disturbed and they harass the other children. This behavior is well tolerated by the teachers and leaders of the school. At one point my child was hit in the head by a sixth grade boy and when this was communicated to the assistant principal my child was told that that boy is 'angry today' as though that is a perfectly good reason to be have hit in the head. There aren't consequences and my child has experienced multiple bullying attacks. The communication within the school is unacceptable. The school doesn't welcome open communication and reprimands you for contacting them to report and discuss important safety issues. Maybe one problem is that the school is too large? and so they drop the ball. I would avoid St. Vrain School district If possible. They're hot lunches are terrible although that seems so minor in comparison to serious safety problems that are ignored at St. Vrain schools and this charter school is no exception.

Posted March 2, 2012

I am one of the students from Flagstaff Academy and is currently an 8th grader. Even for just a student, I've experienced the school much longer and know it pretty well. These past (almost) 6 years, I came here, one year after the school opened. For me, I think if I were given a higher chance of rating scale (1-10) I would have given this school a 7.5 to 8/10. And here are some of the reasons why, First of all, not all the adults are bad. Yes, some were to the point where I despised them. However, ever since I arrived in Middle School (which was my first year at the new building) they have all left. Second, I've experienced all the principals. I do like the 3rd one better. Third, dress code isn't too good. First few years, no one really cared. Now in MS, it's a horror. Given write ups for the most small things or not given one at all, when you're wearing the most out of dress code things. Lastly, I can totally agree that the school jumps the curriculum way ahead. I am actually 1 year ahead of my math, 3 years head of my Spanish and is learning HS leveled L.A. They do give too much homework, but it's only because if you're going to take (IB) in HS, they want you to be ready.

Posted January 27, 2012

Great school for my children, thanks to the group of dedicated teachers, who go above and beyond everyday. They are the true heros.

Posted January 18, 2012

I am a new to the school with a sixth grader. So far I really like it but more importantly my child really likes it. It seems that there are a lot of friendly children and so far haven't experienced any problems. My child has made a lot of friends and is challenged by the work but not stressed. Some highlights include Spanish class and Horticulture class. It was also an easy transition from a waldorf/art school for elementary. The only negative so far is driving everyday from Boulder but If you live in Longmont definitely worth checking out and open enrolling.

Posted November 22, 2011

I have been a part of FCA since the first year it was open. Both of my children have had wonderful teachers, I do not question their class selection process. I do not have "gifted" students, but both are challenged at FCA. We have never had too much homework, if they don't get their work done in class then they bring it home. If students are making wise use of their time, they shouldn't have more than 30 min a night with the occasional extra projects. The teachers ask that the parents let their children do the work, if parents want a project they can have their own separate one. I have dealt with some discipline issues with my kids and felt they were handled appropriately. There are bullies everywhere, FCA tries to work with them to turn the behavior around. There have been three principals over the 6 years and all have dealt with things differently. Much has improved over time as with any business. FCA has it's share of "Sped kids" and although I don't have one of my own, I know several that are and are worked with as the District provides support for. I would recommend this or any charter school to any parent.

Posted November 6, 2011

My children attended Flagstaff for two years until we relocated out of state. I realized once we left how truly unique and special a school it was that challenged my children to do their very best. We ended up relocating back two years later and I am so glad that they are back at Flagstaff and thriving in a creative, challenging, and fun environment. I would and do recommend this school to anyone looking for a school that challenges kids at all levels.

Posted November 2, 2011

My two children attended Flagstaff Academy. One from grade 3-5 and the other grade 6 only. I got to experience all three principals at this school, including the founding principal, the second principal and the current principal, and found the current principal to be the best leader, although younger than the other two. The curriculum in content rich. The teachers are less well trained that SVVSD public school teachers, but usually do a good job. There is some politics and bullying but not tremendously worse than Longmont public schools. The music program in the middle school is not as focused on performance as the regular public middle schools. The middle school math curriculum pushes kids ahead too much, without considering what the local high schools offer for math. Still the content in art and music for elementary school is outstanding. There is a bit too much discipline and homework for some kids, especially K-2, but we were at a different school for those grades. There is some politics with board member children that tended to affect how discipline was enforced in the classroom.

Posted November 2, 2011

A charter school is parent -run. That is the beauty of it. So if a couple of "pushy" parents join the school board and start demanding accelerated classes, ability grouping, STEM, and a balanced budget, than more power to them. I am so proud of the successes I have witnessed at this school. FA students are grade levels ahead in Math, Reading, Writing, Science and History. We certainly don't do their homework. What an insult to all of our children who work so hard. The Principal works long hours. He is smart, kind, and committed. The teachers are so dedicated to FA, they send their own kids there. The teachers and students appear happy. My children transferred from a private school 4 years ago. My perception was the private school principal favored wealthy parents. The private school held my children back. They had to work alone in workbooks, while the teacher taught to the lowest level in her class. This doesn't happen at Flagstaff, where they are grouped with other students at their level, even if it is a grade up. I genuinely believe the teachers and administrators care about our children. They do care when a child is bullied. The discipline policy is fairly enforced.

Posted July 30, 2011

My 2 kids attended Flagstaff for 2 years. We moved to another state so we had to leave this wonderful school. My experience was very positive. Most of the teachers are wonderful, one of them was a bit inexperienced, but still pretty good. They have an excellent science focus and ability grouping across the entire grades for math and phonics. The teachers we had were very good, enthusiatic, motivated and caring. There was great parent involvement and there were parents volunteers every day in the classroom (And several of them!). The people at the front desk are friendly and have an amazing memory, they know the names of all the students (just amazing). Great communication from the principal through their website, email blasts, and lots of email from their teachers. Some of the teachers would email the parents mailing list every day with news about the classroom. The new school we are in is quite average, and now we realize how wonderful Flagstaff was. Kudos to Flagstaff and I hope they are able to maintain and improve on their already amazing performance.

Posted March 23, 2011

The teachers are enthusiastic and love the kids. My kids are challenged and are doing well. What more could I ask for? Prior to Flagstaff they attended private school and they are now getting a superior education! All the teachers I have had contact with have never been anything other than courteous and professional. As for the school constantly losing pupils? Try telling that to several of my friends who are on the waiting list! Safety issues? I personally think the businesses are being unrealistic and have obviously never driven by any school at end of day! The 'Flagstaff kids' are no worse than other kids, they're kids!

Posted March 1, 2011

This school really is amazing. The CORE knowledge curriculum is fantastic, and yes, the expectations are high for students, but the work put out by the students more than surpasses work I've seen at other schools. My child loves this school, the teachers, the atmosphere, the curriculum, the activities- it is a fun and enlightened place to learn, and I am sorry we wasted years at another high performing school in St Vrain Valley (Niwot Elem). FCA does have its share of bullies and bad behavior, as does any school, but the way it is handled is light years ahead of the previous school we attended and is absolutely not tolerated. There is no pressure, whatsoever, to contribute money or be a member of the board. The elitism spoken of in previous reviews is completely unfounded. You can volunteer as much or as little as you want with no reprecussions from any parent, staff member or board member. The thing about FCA is that people WANT to be involved- it is that kind of community. I highly recommend this school for an active and involved learner with a family who wants to be a part of a school community.

Posted January 28, 2011

Look long & hard at this school. Ask questions about the anti-bullying policy. If your child is a special needs child, ask what services will be provided and what won't. Know what you're getting into & don't just buy into the bells and whistles of the school. Our daughter spent four years at FCA before we realized we were *never* going to get the support from the admin., the "special ed. dept.", or from the teachers, that we were initially (& every year after) told she was going to receive. In four years, social and academic progress were at a snail's pace & 1/2 of her teacher's were out of line & spoke to her with disrespect, bordering on contempt. (I wish we would've recognized it at the time). This school is probably okay if your child falls within FCA's "norms". If not, look elsewhere.

Posted January 12, 2011

I am a parent of a student who attended Flagstaff for all three years of middle school and just finished the first semester at a St. Vrain high school in honors classes with a 4.0 average. I have to save the success in high school is despite the terrible 8th grade year (2009-2010) when the administration and others in charge appeared to be totally unbalanced. At Flagstaff in the 8th grade year my child was belittled, bullied, accused of ridiculous misbehaviors, excluded from many activities, received grades obviously lower than what others did for the same work and I was treated with rudeness and contempt when I tried to address these problems. Sad to say the same administration remains in effect at Flagstaff. I've been amused to read about the publicity stunt that was staged with parents supposedly camping out in the cold in December to make sure their students were able to enroll for next year when the reality is Flagstaff is spending money in ads in local papers this January begging parents to enroll their students.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Female75%

Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 6%N/A41%
Male 50%N/A51%
Female 50%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Kitchen

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2040 Miller Dr.