Flagstaff Charter Academy

Charter | PK-8 | 815 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 12, 2014

Flagstaff is an amazing place for student learning. They provide a rigorous program that is not for everyone, but they treat every child like an individual. These teachers go above and beyond for kids every day. Even though the Board needs to learn how to be a board, the director and MS principal make this the kindest and safest school anywhere. This school is very forward looking and my kids are super prepared for high school and, I think, college. Great teachers, great leadership, great future - what a great school - good luck trying to get in! Everyone knows that Flagstaff is great so it is super hard to get into this amazing school.

Posted January 28, 2014

The regular teachers are wonderful, but the special education department has room for a LOT of improvement. They believe they know what is best and do not listen to the children in their care or their parents. If you do not believe as they do, you will be fighting to get your child's needs met. Many parents (including myself) have pulled their children out of this school because of the incompetence of the special education department. Simple things, like getting printed notes for my child to study before a unit started, was asking for too much. Asking for printed notes of any kind, never happened. Unless the current staff changes, I would NOT recommend this school for anyone with a child with special needs.

Posted December 13, 2013

I'm sorry to see so many negative reviews. I love this school, and found it to be a supportive environment for my child. I work hand in hand with my child's teachers, and the administration has supported me, as well as the staff. I'm in the school often, and see the wonderful things the students do every day. They love the school! The staff is always smiling, and most of the parents welcoming. It is a transition year, with the loss of our previous principal, however, the teachers are still amazing, the curriculum still above other schools, and the community still wonderful.

Posted December 12, 2013

I have to agree with the previous posts. My kids have been in Flagstaff for six years. In the last two years the school has taken a nose dive. The communication from the school is terrible. It seems the teachers are having a hard time with new math curriculum. All of my kids will be in tutoring this coming summer to catch them up to where they should be. The teachers are talented and passionate but they have their hands tied. They can only do what a bad curriculum allows them to do. My kids have not had a problem with bullying but I do know there is a lot going on and the victim of the bullying always becomes the bad guy. There is a group of rough kids that never get into trouble and they ruin it for the rest of their peers every year. My biggest concern is that the staff cares more about implementing silly dress code rules than what is going on between the students. My student was once called out of class by an aide who was walking by and noticed his jacket was out of dress code and made him take it off while the teacher was still instructing the class. It's very disappointing to give a review like this. I feel very let down and my children will not be returning next year.

Posted November 30, 2013

I agree with the previous posters. Flagstaff Academy used to be one of the best schools in the area. The teachers were so creative and made learning fun. Since the school was taken over by a small group of arrogant parents, it has changed into an insane asylum for juvenile delinquent males addicted to video games. The girls are so stressed out by all the chaos. The staff is miserable and it shows. If you are a prospective parent, check out the playground at lunchtime. That should scare you enough to look for another school.

Posted November 21, 2013

This school has gone downhill, from how it was. Almost all of the original teachers are gone, and my child gets bullied almost every day. I wish that the school had more performing arts programs, and not just STEM related subjects. I'm looking for a better school, for my child.

Posted November 19, 2013

This school needs to get it's act togther, immediately! And Parent's WAKE UP! We once had this wonderful college prep schoool that has plummeted into gross negleance with this admistration. They do not care about the children's education at this school and are not willing to do one thing to get us back to the high standrads that we once had. My youngest child is not getting nearly the same eduation as the older sibling. Either you get your act together or I suggest you pull your kids from this school becuase they have no chance of reaching higher academic levels. Shame on you Flagstaff! Stand up and do what's right for the children!!

Posted November 17, 2013

Flagstaff Academy has done some increasingly ridiculous things in getting rid of some of the best teachers they had. I always blamed the inept principal who for some unknown reason (well actually it is not that unknown but pretty sickening) was hired by St. Vrain Valley to head one of their elementary schools. It will be interesting to see if Flagstaff improves with his departure and the other school suffers accordingly.

Posted October 2, 2013

The school is moving in a new direction. It was founded by parents who cared about academics above everything else. Back then, teachers were sent to conferences, where they were recognized for their innovative teaching styles. Today the school is triple the size. The classrooms are too large and disruptive. FA hires inexperienced teachers to save money and actively recruits autistic kids to make money, even though the stimulating environment is not appropriate for their needs. FA bought a new math program on the cheap and wrote their own writing curriculum. Now the school's math and writing scores are plummeting. The new math program is difficult to teach. Just one part-time teacher has been properly trained. The math curriculum is a year behInd and is full of gaps. It will be up to each individual teacher, most of whom are inexperienced, to make up these deficiencies if they want to. The extra money from classroom cuts has gone towards massive computer purchases, hiring friends, and promoting character development and restorative justice. Finally, the board behaves in an appalling way, making up rules, hiring friends, and generally behaving like everything is a joke.

Posted September 13, 2013

Flagstaff has a policy that kids should not be doing more than an hour of homework per night. Although this might seem like a good idea, it doesn't work. If you aim at the average to below average student, then those who are above average spend 10 minutes on homework. This is not preparing above average students for honors/AP/IB programs. The special ed. department is horrific. It seems that the policy there is to get parents of special needs children to leave the school. Why did I rate them so high? Because despite that, the regular Ed. teachers are mostly above average and really put their heart into teaching. The curriculum is very rich and the knowledge of the world that my children have is incredible considering their ages. It is an above average education which is rich in technology and science and always very welcoming.

Posted September 11, 2013

Flagstaff Academy is a great school which is maturing from a pioneer to an institution. Students and parents are actively involved in everything - classroom, extracurricular - and teachers and adminstrators pay close attention to test scores as the basis for performance measures. The review below which indicates that FA cares less about the welfare of the kids than test scores is unfair. Administrators are in the process of transitioning on a number of fronts and test scores are a measurement that is valuable. The school absolutely does not discourage parental involvement, that is the complete opposite of my experience. What I've experienced is my son learned how to read, has become much better at math than I have at this age, and has developed a group of close friends. If anything, the school attempts to communicate too much info, and solicit too much parental involvement. But I'd rather too much than too little. Our experience with Flagstaff has been excellent, and I hope if you are looking for an early education which is hands on, disciplined, involved then this would be an excellent school to consider for your child.

Posted September 11, 2013

This school is a huge disappointment! I would think long and hard before enrolling in this school. Teachers are too young and inexperienced and admistration is lazy and discourages any sort of parent involement. Grades are slipping and the administration thinks being average is great. If you are alright with spening a fortune in tutoring your child on the side then go ahead.

Posted May 17, 2013

Flagstaff Academy is falling behind from a few years back. The adminstration is more concerned with the testing scores than the welfare of the children. They discourage parent involment and there is a lack of communication. Too much pressure on the children!

Posted February 5, 2013

Are you a quirky, nerdy, or very silly kid? If yes, FA is the school for you. FA nurtures and cherishes the curious child. Expect to get dirty and maybe a little chocolatey in Science class. You might NOT be asked to write many "descriptive" stories, but expect to write quite a few "creepy" and "juicy" ones. Math homework is a breeze with the new online tutorials that correspond with each lesson. Walk into FA, and look for the student-made stain glass window, worthy of a Baroque cathedral and a massive stone Aztec sun calendar towering overhead. Don't be alarmed by power outages or levitating balls, or worms and lizards, or tepees and Chinese dragons. It's kind of crazy at FA, but it's rich with learning and happy children. After five full wonderful years, we could not be happier or more satisfied with the education and the environment that FA has provided for our children.

Posted February 4, 2013

Flagstaff provides a top-notch education. I had 2 kids transfer in last year. One was behind grade level, and the teacher & Intervention Specialist did amazing work encouraging her and help her meet realistic expectations. This year she is caught up and no longer on an ILP. Most importantly, her self-esteem has soared! Her teacher this year is absolutely wonderful, very cheerful & encouraging. I have been impressed by the principal Mr. Moore, the middle school staff, the middle school admin, Dr. Warren & Mr. Pugh. A good team all around. I have been especially pleased with how well trained the kids are in doing research projects, starting at the youngest grades. Honestly, I have been impressed with all the teaching staff that I have interacted with, which has been a lot of them!

Posted November 18, 2012

I have a first grade student and a 7th grade student attending Flagstaff. This is our first year at the school and have been so very pleased with the school. The teachers, staff and leadership are all outstanding and truly go above and beyond. My 7th grader has struggled with math and reading for which we are finally seeing positive growth and results. Thank you Flagstaff!!!!

Posted September 14, 2012

Moving our kids to this school has been the best decision we have made. The school culture is one of kindness and respect. The curriculum is excellent and the teachers are engaging. We love the amazing work our kids are doing at such a young age. I wish more children would have the opportunity to be exposed to this type of education. Thank you Flagstaff!

Posted May 24, 2012

Disappointed! This year I have made a tremendous effort to drive my child all the way to this open enrollment school but my child has fell behind academically in language arts and in other areas. There are boys at the school who are emotionally disturbed and they harass the other children. This behavior is well tolerated by the teachers and leaders of the school. At one point my child was hit in the head by a sixth grade boy and when this was communicated to the assistant principal my child was told that that boy is 'angry today' as though that is a perfectly good reason to be have hit in the head. There aren't consequences and my child has experienced multiple bullying attacks. The communication within the school is unacceptable. The school doesn't welcome open communication and reprimands you for contacting them to report and discuss important safety issues. Maybe one problem is that the school is too large? and so they drop the ball. I would avoid St. Vrain School district If possible. They're hot lunches are terrible although that seems so minor in comparison to serious safety problems that are ignored at St. Vrain schools and this charter school is no exception.

Posted March 2, 2012

I am one of the students from Flagstaff Academy and is currently an 8th grader. Even for just a student, I've experienced the school much longer and know it pretty well. These past (almost) 6 years, I came here, one year after the school opened. For me, I think if I were given a higher chance of rating scale (1-10) I would have given this school a 7.5 to 8/10. And here are some of the reasons why, First of all, not all the adults are bad. Yes, some were to the point where I despised them. However, ever since I arrived in Middle School (which was my first year at the new building) they have all left. Second, I've experienced all the principals. I do like the 3rd one better. Third, dress code isn't too good. First few years, no one really cared. Now in MS, it's a horror. Given write ups for the most small things or not given one at all, when you're wearing the most out of dress code things. Lastly, I can totally agree that the school jumps the curriculum way ahead. I am actually 1 year ahead of my math, 3 years head of my Spanish and is learning HS leveled L.A. They do give too much homework, but it's only because if you're going to take (IB) in HS, they want you to be ready.

Posted January 27, 2012

Great school for my children, thanks to the group of dedicated teachers, who go above and beyond everyday. They are the true heros.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Female75%

White (not Hispanic)87%
Not eligible for free/reduced price lunch88%
Proficient in English86%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian 7% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 5%N/A40%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Kitchen

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2040 Miller Dr.