Public charter
Longmont, CO
Before care: Yes

Posted December 20, 2014
We visited 7 different schools in the area, including our assigned school, Niwot Elementary and 4 private schools. I am under the sense that many parents have recently become unhappy with the school because their input no longer carries the weight that it once did. Colorado is finally implementing the Common Core Standards that most other parts of the county have been using for years. Because there is a new curriculum, state and federally mandated, input from teachers, administration and parents will not have the weight that it once did. If children do all of the assigned homework there is plenty that is age appropriate. Parents can always add homework as they feel their own child needs. Our only complaint is regarding the classroom size, 27 is too big for many teacher to adequately control.

Posted December 16, 2014
This is a great school, in particular the Middle School is amazing. Our teachers are bringing innovation into the classroom daily. I've had students in the school from Kindergarten up, and one will be entering Middle School next year. It's not just the teachers that are great, though. Our PTO has really gone and stepped up this year, letting teachers know how much they are valued. The best thing about this school is the personal relationship teachers develop with their students. The principle of Middle School is exceptionally professional and amazing with students. I love the character education program, the emphasis on full-child development and the parents that get in and volunteer daily. Love love love my school!

Posted December 13, 2014
cant say to much kids still there, but it is a hidden train wreck be careful attending......

Posted December 12, 2014
Flagstaff has definitely changed their academic focus since their old principal has left. We chose this school because of its academic excellence and it has become very apparent that with the lack of homework and interest from the administration to keep the academics strong this school is unfortunately headed in a different direction. I am disappointed that they will hire teachers that do not have the appropriate training or degrees. I also am worried that the focus of this school directly reflects what kind of education the administration would like for their children. Our family has been with Flagstaff for 6 years and it is so sad to see this change when it was historically such a great place! The administration is unable to deal with difficult situations and either doesn't respond to them at all or waits until they become a huge problem. It worries me that there seems to be a hidden agenda on their part as well.

Posted November 08, 2014
Over the past year the school has gone through many changes that have not been for the best. the administration has been unable to effectively handle and minimize problems which has lead to at least 6 families leaving mid year within a few weeks. In addition to poor communication and lack of honesty from the school the academics have fallen below what one would expect from Flagstaff. Unable to replace teachers with experienced teachers. Many other schools in the area are getting much better results and have many additional resources available- no longer a top choice in the area.

Flagstaff Charter Academy 2

Posted September 27, 2014
Flagstaff Academy does a few subjects well, such as the core knowledge, science lab, and Spanish. The math and spelling tests are too easy. There is no difference between levels of the ability groups. Also, there is practically no homework, which is fine if your child is not planning to go into AP or IB in high school. I would recommend this school for those children that either hate school or struggle with certain skills because there is nurturing for them. It's probably not a great fit for everyone though.

Posted August 22, 2014
We fell in love with Flagstaff from the moment we first visited. There's such a positive energy about this school which is apparent from the moment you enter. The students are smiling, the teachers are engaged, and the administration is happy to make time to chat. The teaching staff, in particular, is amazing. Last year our daughter was in second grade and it was a rare week when we didn't get at least 2 or 3 updates on how things were going in the classroom, and our child's teacher was always responsive to any questions or concerns. The teachers care deeply about their kids, and this is reflected in the attention and emphasis put on appropriate ability grouping -- the school works to make sure your child is in the most effective learning environment for their situation. The focus academically is on science and technology, yet the elementary school also has one of the best art teachers in the district and a strong core knowledge program that integrates math, science, and social studies across the curriculum. I recommend Flagstaff strongly and without reservation.

Flagstaff Charter Academy 4

Posted August 19, 2014
I have one kid here and one at another school, and being in that situation highlights the differences for me. Flagstaff treats the kids like people, meaning if the child needs a drink he gets one, if he needs a snack (which children often do!!) he gets to have one. Just like an adult would. Not so at the other school, it's more about teacher convenience there (I would love to see if there are snacks hidden in those teachers' desks). The kids at Flagstaff have a longer day than the non-charter, which means there's more time for subjects like science (GREAT program, by the way) and technology (also awesome!). This is the great strength of Flagstaff. I've seen the complaints by unhappy parents (below) but I think they would find the same changes taking place in any St. Vrain school due to the common core mandate, rather than a specific problem with Flagstaff. I would agree that I want more time to talk to the teachers than I get, though. That bothers me. And a better understanding of where my child stands with respect to where he should be. I dislike the feeling that the teachers are avoiding answering those questions.

Posted May 13, 2014
There are so many problems at Flagstaff Academy. My biggest concern is the over emphasis on test scores. Each child takes 4 standardized tests per year! The math instruction is horrible. Kids are forced to watch a silly video for the first part of the lesson. Then they practice their test taking skills. They don't learn any math and end up confused. A+ students are now getting Ds and are hating school. Parents aren't allowed to talk to teachers so they just form tutoring groups among themselves. Also the administration is too weak to fix any of the problems.

Posted May 11, 2014
The older children who have missed the curriculum and admistration changes are not being effected by what's happening at this school and will never understand it. You are getting the educaiton that we ALL SIGNED UP FOR! 5th grade and below are not getting the same education. The parents are very upset and the administration does not seem to care. They told us "this is not the same school that it use to be." Well that is odvious. I cannot recomment this school until they get there act together. Just do what is right for the children and everything will get back on track! Shocking that the adults at this school cannot figure this out!

Flagstaff Charter Academy
2040 Miller Dr., Longmont, CO  80501
Last modified Flagstaff Charter Academy is a Charter school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Flagstaff Charter Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 98 reviews. Top