Public charter
Longmont, CO

Flagstaff Charter Academy 2

Posted August 13, 2015
I moved my child to a public middle school for this upcoming school year. After a couple of years of struggling with things just not going right, we woke up and realized it wasn't us, it was the school. After talking to a lot of other parents in public schools in SVVSD, and talking to administrators in other schools my husband and I feel comfortable making this move. The public schools are much more advanced in curriculum than this school. I feel I've been duped and sold a bag of tricks. It's unfortunate. I was excited when my son started this school in kindergarten. Now I'm just one of the parents leaving quietly. I won't recommend the school, but I wouldn't call myself disgruntled, just disappointed.

Posted August 11, 2015
I will be completing outing myself to the administration, but parents need to know my experience before moving to this school. I moved my older son in 2nd grade to this school because he comes from a brilliant line of men and I thought he would be better served in a charter. I was so so wrong. Move forward 5 years and my son was making straight A's and bored in math at Flagstaff. I tried to work with the administration and teachers, but any plans put ahead where ignored about a month later. Due to other problems within the school (detailed by others below) we moved both of our kids to public school for the 2015-2016 year. Testing has revealed that my brilliant, bored son is a FULL GRADE BEHIND average 8th graders in public school. We are devastated. My younger son is also behind in math and writing. We have spent the summer paying for a writing tutor and an online math program to get him caught up to PUBLIC school 5th grade. Going to Flagstaff Academy was a HUGE mistake for our family. I am just glad we caught the problems before high school. FYI, I am blessed that my kids have no learning disabilities or other problems. Just good kids who love school, reading and their friends. But yet, somehow, they are very, very behind their public school piers.

Posted July 01, 2015
It is sickening to see the administration of FSA continue to lie to the parents. They recently sent out a message about how great the children are doing in math. What they are not telling you is that they are teaching all the children the same low curriculum. What this means is the GT kids and the advanced kids are being taught to the same level as the lower learners. The GT level should be at least 2 years ahead and the advanced level should be taught at least one year ahead. If you compare the number of children that scored advanced, FSA does not rank as high as the other schools in the area. Not because they are not capable, but because the school is flat out refusing to teach them. All the other schools in the district are teaching to their level. If your child plans on going into any STEM career, he or she will not have the proper foundation, not from this school and they will be two years behind, Your only option as a parent is to either ask the school to get back on track or move your child to a school that will teach them.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 28, 2015
This school flat out lies to parents in attempts to recruit more students and cover up their glaring mistakes. The school and some of its teachers and leaders are actually scary. My son was set up and suspended over a petty incident because we have spoken out against the school. As soon as we mentioned getting an attorney involved everyone became very helpful and told us how wonderful our son was. Awful school with a history of being run by awful people.

Posted June 04, 2015
My oldest started at Flagstaff a year after it opened. Flagstaff was everything I looked for in a school. The academics and hands-on projects set the school apart. The teachers and administrators were qualified and were committed to the school. It was a trusted community. Sadly, with growth and corruption, all that has changed. Flagstaff is nothing more than a neighborhood school. The curriculum is bland and boring. The teachers hate their jobs. The administrators hate each other and the families. It's time for a new board, new administrators, and a new curriculum. Otherwise, this school doesn't have a chance.

Flagstaff Charter Academy 5

Posted May 31, 2015
Raising tomorrow's successful leaders. I'm proud to have my daughter in a school I can be involved in

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted May 31, 2015
We chose FSA based on what we heard from our neighbors with kids there and neighbors that work there. I feel that we have made a big mistake and did our child a huge dis-service. We started the kindergarten program with hopes and plans that our child would get a great education. Now after just 1 year we realize that our child will and would be better off at the local public school as they have surpassed FSA in testing scores and reviews. Now we have to put our child in a summer reading program to catch up to the public school kids as FSA could not help our child learn and placed it all on us. We were told that we should hold our child back to repeat the kinder program but they could go to first grade if we chose to do so. They gave us some time to make the choice and after meetings with the teachers and principle they made us feel like our kid was not ready and we decided to hold them back. So they came up with a plan to tell them before the graduation ceremony and they did not. They proceeded to let our child take part in the graduation and the principle gave a speech and at the end our child was left with a feeling that she was going on to first grade. We had to be the bad guys and tell our child that is not the case and it has left them devastated.. Schools and teachers are supposed to teach our children and all FSA seems to be is a glorified daycare for kids run by guy that has no education experience. Thanks for nothing FSA!

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

2040 Miller Dr., Longmont, CO  80501
Last modified Flagstaff Charter Academy is a Charter school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Flagstaff Charter Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 133 reviews. Top