Posted March 14, 2015
I could not be happier that we found the Patchwork for my son. It has been monumental in his development socially and academically as well as for his overall happiness. Watching his connection to others and love for learning blossom and grow over the years has been priceless, and having the ability to have choices in his education has allowed him to discover his own interests and become who he really is on this journey. It's obvious that the teachers and staff truly care and have each students well-being at heart.

Posted March 14, 2015
We have been going to The Patchwork School for a over 3 years now and there are not enough words for how much we love it. The blend of democratic education, non-violent communication, and the Reggio Emilia philosophy really meets the needs of the whole child. It is important to me that my child not only learn to be able to express his feelings and be able to handle conflict resolution in a way that feels good to him and others, but also like who he is and feel like all his feelings are workable. This is the kind of support that I think will shape who he is and his relationship with others and himself for the positive. We also appreciate the organic way that learning happens and the way the inner wisdom of the children are fostered. As we have been interested in things the teachers go above and beyond by really diving into feeding the hunger for information and learning. The support for parents is above and beyond anything I could have ever expected. I am part of the Parenting Resource Group and it has been a life saver. PRG truly supports me to live in a authentic way and allows me to look at and work thru my stuff and in turn be more loving and supportive to my family.

Posted February 04, 2015
We love Patchwork! The teachers are caring, patient and really want to know my kids. The students learn how to handle "real life" situations through critical thinking of the whole group. Rules are explained logically, never just because an adult said so. My son has wonderful interpersonal and emotional skills thanks to Patchwork, and these are areas usually ignored by traditional schools.

The Patchwork School 4

Posted February 04, 2015
I am grateful to have found Patchwork School. I appreciate how they create a learning environment that is conducive to stages in our children's brain development. The sense of community and the support in parenting is excellent. My child enjoys each day they go to Patchwork and has an enriching experience with a lot of joy to report back to us. The only thing that is tough is that they require us to provide 9 snacks a year as well as contribute time to clean. This can be tough on any busy family, and to an extent, feels unreasonable considering the cost to attend.

Posted February 02, 2015
Patchwork is amazing. You simply will never find a group of teachers more dedicated, interested and in tune with your child. We have been elsewhere and toured dozens of schools and we never experienced the quality that we do at Patchwork.

Posted February 01, 2015
Dropping your kid off at Patchwork feels like dropping them at a long-time friend's house. There's a strong sense of community, the kids love it, and the teachers love the kids like family. It may not be for everyone though - if you don't want your kid coming home dirty and tired, think about a more traditional school.

The Patchwork School 1

Posted February 01, 2015
This school's philosophy seems to encourage children to regulate their own behavior to a far greater degree than a typical school. There are many positive aspects to this philosophy, in terms of development of human potential and spirit. As a school... I'm not sure it's really a school. It seems to breed socially inappropriate behavior. It has no evident curriculum that would prepare students for educational settings other than Patchwork. It's, quite frankly, a mess. It's not clear that critical issues that threaten the school would be addressed. The earnest commitment to the ideal of democratic education is laudable, but its practical application leads to a Lord of the Flies atmosphere for children. The school's ideology may be at odds with its viability. It certainly does have excellent human assets and heart. With changes, it might be equipped to become the full-service school it aims to be.
4 people found this helpful

Posted January 31, 2015
My son has gone to Patchwork for several years, and he loves it. He is excited about learning, truly admires his teachers, and has made some great friends. He is encouraged to explore and expand his interests, and as a result, he is becoming a confident and self-motivated learner. I am confident that this is the ideal place for him. I would recommend Patchwork to anyone who is looking for a non-traditional educational environment.

Posted January 31, 2015
My daughter (5) came to this school right after a big transition (moving states). The teachers at this school supported her through all the range of emotions that come with the territory of such a change. They focus so much on the emotional intelligence of the children through play, child-led learning, emotional coaching and guiding the children in collaborative problem-solving. This school is VERY unique and the philosophy is so progressive it is bound to have groundbreaking results with the generation that attend it. These kids will have so much self-esteem, strong problem solving skills, know how to work really well with others and learn how to be driven by their interests.

Posted January 30, 2015
As parents, we have put lots of energy thinking of the education for our daughter and the tools she needs to succeed in life. Patchwork teaches the students how to work together to overcome conflict, encourages activities of interest, and integrates education into these activities. This will better prepare the students to be skillful, creative and loving adults that can readily cope and adapt to our changing world.

The Patchwork School