Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

Every time something has happened and my kids are telling me other kids hurt them in some way the story I get is that they were acting up and never hear anything of the other party.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

My kids have no interest in learning after attending there. Sunce they are always "in trouble" they have became more dishonest when it comes to anything because they feel like they will get consequences.

Develops character: Strongly agree

They don't know how to handle a kid when they get a little defiant. Instead they are quick to point out shame, write up any type of bad behavior and dish out rediculous punishments.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

my kids are now below the level they were at when they first started. And instead of encouraging good behavior I get some sort of contact a day that they were trouble that day for petty age old things.

I have two boys in this school. I have had nothing but issues with them when it comes to my kids. Their drive to learn has demolished. My oldest was above average I his subjects until last year. They are always in trouble and none of them there know what they are doing. They are destroying the education and future of my kids. My youngest got suspended yesterday over a one sided story. What the hell is going on with that school. And to top it off my youngest is supposed to be in an IEP program and Winona doesn't even have it to offer. So now my kids are suffering at the hands of these people who have no education success to actually offer.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Some teachers are amazing but the new ones, yuck! They have no idea what they are doing.

This used to be a great school. With this new principal and the new teachers it has gone south! The new teachers have no idea how to teach and the new principal has no idea what she is doing! Take your kids elsewhere!

We have had a wonderful experience at Winona. Looking at test scores, parents may have doubts of sending their children to this school, but there are many children thriving and growing each year on both ends of the learning spectrum. It is heartbreaking that so many families choice out of Winona without even working with the principal and teachers to learn about the school or address any concerns. I challenge anyone to find a more caring and dedicated principal than Larry Shores, who is so accepting of every child whether they have challenges learning or if they require services far ahead of grade level. Winona has a fabulous Gifted and Talented program, and teachers dedicated to meet the needs of EVERY student. As more and more parents choice out of Winona, teachers and staff are dealing with an increasing percentage of students from at-risk backgrounds, and losing the community support that is vital for a healthy school. The burden of supporting the children in our community with limited support at home should not be entirely placed on teachers and a principal. Please do not give up on your neighborhood school, they are ready to work with you and your student!!

I know there are some horrible reviews on this site about winona elementary but there is lot of hearsay. we have kids going through winona today, we do spend time with them at home and also we volunteer a lot at school, we have never found any finger pointing among teachers, no teacher or principal has verbally abused any kids while we were in school. All our kids have excelled in their grades. Agreed the population at winona is not the best mix, there are many kids who are english second language and many kids are on free lunch program but that does not make them any less entitled to the public education. there may be some parents who had bad experience but best way to resolve such things is by being at school and involving your self in the kids education. I hope people do not use one experience and "I heard" comments to go away from making your neighborhood school better instead of leaving it. Please also share your good experiences and not only bad.

My daughter was reading at a fourth grade level when she entered this school in 2nd grade. When we took her out after 4th grade she was reading at a 4th grade level. My son went there for two years. The teachers ignored my concerns about his struggles and I was told he wasn't able to keep up with the other kids. We moved both kids to a better school and they are both now thriving and above grade level. Winona was a horrible school for both of my children. If it is your neighborhood school take the waiver they give you because they are not meeting state standards. Run as fast and as far away as you can.

Last modified Winona Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.