Loveland Classical School

Public | K-12 | 630 students

Posted May 23, 2014

A local newspaper keeps writing about this school. Be fore you take into consideration of all of what they say, please remember that this school only three years old and still getting the kinks worked out. If you want to learn more about the school, go to the open house next time there is one.Thanks. =)

Posted April 22, 2014

The Core Knowledge curriculum with an emphasis on classics is fantastic! The Riggs system used to teach reading, writing, & spelling makes so much sense, as does Singapore math. The curriculum is academically challenging, but that's been good for my kids. My 5th grader told me she would be bored if she were back at her old school. Even at the elementary level, teachers focus on their specialty (history, English, math, science, etc.) My kids are learning so much, things that I never got to study in school (and I grew up in this school district). The teachers are fantastic, and the school community (parents, volunteers, etc.) is great. Class sizes are still large, but there are two teachers in the classroom, and students are held to a high standard of behavior. I'm also impressed with the character virtues that are emphasized. Every time I go to the school, there are students holding the doors open for me or offering me their chair, etc. There are also many extracurricular activities being offered (soccer, basketball, volleyball, track, Spanish club, choir, drama club, Battle of the Books club, knitting club, etc.) I'm grateful to have this option for my children's education.

Posted April 16, 2014

Loveland Classical Schools is a wonderful *choice* tuition-free charter school in Loveland, Colorado. We love this school, especially its departmentalization of the elementary school - where area-specific teachers in all the core curriculum (math, science, history and English) rotate through each elementary classroom teaching only the area they are passionate about! The elementary also rotates through art, PE, music and foreign language (Spanish or Latin, depending on grade level) each week. The teachers are absolutely wonderful and my kids love it! I have never seen such engaged students (not just mine) in classrooms. Come in for a visit (or attend an Informational Meeting) and you will see one of the best kept secrets in Loveland!

Posted April 9, 2014

Loveland Classical Schools doesn't look like most schools. Distractions on the walls, with attire and the overall environment are minimized for the sake of learning. Kids at our school know a lot about history, why history is important to our future and how it infuses all other areas of life. They also frequently get to 'live' history through the various events throughout the year whether they are in Kindergarten or High School! The teachers provide individual attention to any child who needs it in any subject whether they are struggling or need to be more challenged. We love the principal and his innovative ideas about education. Our kids are learning more than they ever did at a standard public school and we are grateful for the choice Loveland Classical Schools offers!

Posted April 9, 2014

Loveland Classical School is a one-of-a-kind place. Students at all levels have a different teacher for each subject. A Classroom Coordinator (in the elementary grades) is the consistent face in the room. Teachers are experts in their field--so excited and passionate about their subject. I love how my children chatter on and on at night about what they are learning. This school also teaches from source documents. Another one of my favorite things is the way this school teaches character education during their Core Virtues time. The students are not only learning how to have virtuous character but they are watching their teachers live it out for them day in and day out! I don't know of another public school that devotes time to teaching character like this school does. Our family LOVES this school! I would urge you to check it out!

Posted April 9, 2014

Loveland Classical Schools has made tremendous growth in it's first three years. It's focus is on great character and academics. Offering Spanish from grades K-3, Latin from grades 4-8, and elective offerings of French, Spanish, Latin, and Greek, students are immersed in languages from an early age. The Singapore Math curriculum results in students averaging at least a grade level ahead by middle school. The RIGGS phonics program allows students to decode words, opening up the entirety of the English written word. The teachers are observed at least quarterly, and stay at least an hour late every day for staff development and discussion. Parents can keep up date of their students progress through projected grades posted on ParentPortal and parent-teacher meetings offered on selected Fridays. A fundamental tenant of Loveland Classical Schools is that by holding the standard high, students will achieve excellence. The mission of assisting parents in developing young minds with virtuous character, critical thinking skills, and a passion for learning to become exceptional community stewards is not just lip service, but the compass for the schools' educational community.

Posted April 9, 2014

I chose to come teach at this school because it seemed clearly THE place where I would be able to grow as a teacher. I was right, and I have never looked back. The staff and faculty are truly a special group of people with uncanny commitment to our students and our curriculum. If you want your child immersed in a serious curriculum full of rich academic material that changes lives, this is the place for you. Students are given the right kind of structure which helps them grow and learn to become responsible, free citizens.

Posted March 25, 2014

This is our second year at LCS, we love the way they teach! In the beggining It was hard to adjust to all the homework, but now We have our rutine and we love it. My daughter has learned so many Things for a second grader, she loves her teachers, and all the rules! I like to see how they focus on Building Character in our children, since nowdays that is something That needs to be reinforced at schools because it is our first job as parents. I am very happy to have made the decision to put my daughter in such a wonderful place Full of wonderful people!

Posted March 23, 2014

Dreadful decision on my part! The homework that comes home is completely not "grade appropriate". I just hope that the school close to my house on the north end of town takes us back. I suppose they have to (thank God). What I like? Character education, school uniforms, and new facility. What I do not like? everything else. We will not be returning next fall.

Posted February 28, 2014

We have been at LCS for 2 years. The 1st year was a little bit of a struggle as to be expected, with a new school. However, this year has been a HUGE struggle with a couple of his teachers. Our son is on an IEP and has been since he started preschool. When we started this year, it was like we had to start all over with getting the teachers involved with his IEP. The special education staff resources are limited. They do what they can with what they have. Some of the classroom teachers, are terrible. They may have the knowledge of the subject they are teaching, but they do not know how to "teach". Especially children with learning disabilities. They have to be pushed to take the initiative to help these kids. They are so involved in standing up for the curriculum and philosophy of the school and not standing up for the children. The community of LCS is great, but some are lacking in teaching skills beyond what comes out of the textbooks. We are starting to get some resolution. Mr. Yu has been great about working on the concerns that we have. We have seen some turn around, but not until after several meetings. We want this school to succeed & think it can.

Posted February 22, 2014

We are very happy with the school and its teachers and curriculum. There is passion in the teaching, and the classical education reflects our values.

Posted February 4, 2014

My two daughters just started LCS this year. We have been extremely pleased with the school. The teachers are phenomenal. I have never seen such professionalism and compassion for the students. My daughters are flourishing. The culture of the school is so pleasant. There is definitely a passion for teaching and the students learn so much. LCS is more than just academics though, I really appreciate the way the teachers reinforce important virtues that will help my daughters be productive, caring citizens as they grow. Mr. Yu's leadership is inspiring. I am so grateful to be a part of the LCS community and am thankful this school is in Loveland!

Posted January 31, 2014

I am a student at Loveland Classical Schools. This is my third year here and I absolutely love it! I am in 10th grade.Everyone is so welcoming and nice, we are all like a family there. Teachers care about all of us and work extra hard to help us understand what they are teaching us. The ciriculum is wonderful, last year 9th grade I learned about the Greeks and Romans. We read the Illiad and Odessey, the math and science teachers are great too they made sure that we understand everything and explain with patiencen. We get the opportunity to learn Greek, Latin, French and Spanish. I would not change this school for anything. I do not know what would be of me if I was not at Loveland Classical Schools. The teachers push you hard because they know we are capable of achieving. I would recommend this school to anyone this is an amazing school!

Posted January 30, 2014

This school does something so wonderful that I never thought it could happen in a public institution. Loveland Classical schools, while it does in fact teach it's students what is mandated by the district, facilitates thinking. It is a beautiful thing to see the teachers take a step back because their students want to solve the problem on their own. They never leave, for their rule at that point is that of a mentor, not one who gives answers because it's 'too hard'. Nothing is too hard at Loveland Classical Schools. The discipline found at L.C.S. is matched only with the ancient schooling traditions of old. Students of all kinds will emerge from L.C.S. as a steward to the community at large and a true individual.

Posted January 24, 2014

We have four children who attend this school and have been very pleased. The teachers and staff expect a lot from the students and the students in turn expect a lot from themselves and rise to those expectations. It is not always easy for the students to stretch themselves, but they learn and grow in ways that they did not while attending other schools. Our family dinner conversations are filled with interesting lessons in Latin, World history, the periodic table, and Italian ballads. The academic curriculum and character education is extraordinary and exactly what we want for our children to learn. Teachers are passionate about their students and the topics they teach. LCS has been a great fit for our family.

Posted January 13, 2014

This school does what most others often claim to do: it strives to teach everybody, often giving opportunities for struggling learners to revisit previously taught material in new ways, while allowing students who understand the material quickly means to move forward and meet their potential. Honestly, I don't know how the teachers do it. You can really tell that the teachers here believe that love of learning is the purpose of education. The leadership can be different than other schools, but I have found it to be a positive. Mr. Yu, I know from talking to teachers, really expects his instructors to be accountable for the quality of their teaching. He really goes out of his way to hear parent concerns. Sometimes there can be confusion about events, but I have not found it to be out of the normal for middle schools in general. Some people do leave the school, but there is a lot of transitioning around in Thompson district in general for some reason.

Posted January 9, 2014

Putting my kids in this school was the biggest mistake I have ever made. Not only was the administrative staff a nightmare to communicate with; the "principal" and most teachers weren't any better! It would seem that no one here knows how to communicate with parents or their students. Furthermore, unless your child can get by teaching his/her self (because the teachers are a joke here) then I would suggest that you take your child elsewhere. This is the most unorganized, unethical, uneducated, elitist school I have EVER dealt with. It was the most horrible experience for my children and myself...I regret ever putting my kids in this school. The ONLY reason I gave it ANY stars is because I had to give at least one (according to this website). This school needs to be shut down or restructured with a REAL team of educators and leadership.

Posted January 6, 2014

We had such high hopes for this school after attending an information meeting last year. The teaching philosophy seems like such a great idea. Unfortunately, we were severely disappointed in how much the school over promises but under delivers. Our oldest child (4th grade) was consistently bored in most classes (math in particular), and our youngest struggles with a few social issues that really should have been addressed by an IEP. This school does not have the resources to put an IEP into place in kindergarten, and we were told we would have to wait until 1st grade, when they would reevaluate. The communication at the school is absolutely terrible. After school activities were constantly cancelled the day of with no notification to the parents - my child would call me after school to let me know I needed to leave work to come pick her up, because a club had been canceled. The front desk is very unhelpful & unable to answer questions that aren't on the school website. Security was also a big concern - too many adults allowed to roam the hallways without IDs being checked at the front desk.

Posted December 10, 2013

LCS and its faculty are no less than amazing. For the Instructors themselves not to care about tenure in order to teach at this excellent institution should tell one lots about the school itself. In speaking with, and getting to know the Instructors, you will find yourself in awe of the caliber of the individuals in addition to their backgrounds and teaching methodologies. The curriculum is exceptional at all grade levels and is meant to fully challenge each student to become the best version of themselves. This institution has changed my student's life forever - in a most positive manner. It is an honor and a privilege for us to have helped with ensuring the school would be operational in addition to having our child attend. He will be one of the very first graduating Seniors from LCS next year and he would be most happy to tell you that it has been the most positive experience in his young life to date. It is definitely worth checking into as it usurps any other public institution.

Posted December 9, 2013

I have a first grader there and it is the best school I could put my child in. There are so many things I love about the school: the riggs program, Singapore Math, the morning forums, Civil War reenactments, Roman days, everybody wear uniforms there's no labeling, they focus on academic achievement, hard work and having upstanding character. The kids love to learn and the teachers love to teach.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 55% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 51% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 49% in 2013.

All Students59%

White (not Hispanic)56%
Proficient in English59%
Neither migrant nor immigrant59%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 30%N/A41%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science lab

Health & athletics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Art room
  • Audiovisual aids
  • College/career center
  • Internet access
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Performing arts
  • Drama

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom