Posted August 31, 2015
We previously had experience with Monument Academy (K and 1st), and after a departure from Monument and subsequent return to the area, my daughter begged not to go back. We saw that Prairie Winds was our assigned school, and after talking to neighbors who were happy with the school, we gave it a shot. Our three kids are thriving at PWES. The teachers and principal are engaged and outgoing to families. They have really integrated multi-level teaching for the students and look out for ways to enrich them, no matter where they are on their learning path. We have only experienced the G/T enrichment services for our kids, but I certainly get the sense from others that all learning levels are integrated and cared for at PWES. The school uses its community resources wisely and we, as parents, truly feel part of our children's education. So glad we made the switch!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 31, 2015
This varies from teacher to teacher and grade to grade. The studies I've read share that more homework is not necessarily a good thing. So, I've been pleased to find them NOT overloaded with work in the evenings (besides the occasional special project).

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted August 31, 2015
The school is very vocal about parents not helping kids with their homework--allowing them to struggle with difficult concepts--yet, every teacher is open to finding ways to reach each student and work with them to solve their problem areas.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted August 31, 2015
As one example, children with special needs are integrated into the classrooms wherever possible, and the kids are encouraged to share, engage, and care about their fellow classmates.

Posted October 30, 2012
We left Monument Academy to attend PWES. We couldn't be happier. The overall atmosphere of the school is calm, welcoming, respectful and excellent. The principal is outstanding. It is an absolute breath of fresh air to witness a professional at the top of her game. She clearly inspires, supports and trusts her staff to excel in the classrooms. My only regret is not having left Monument Academy soon after the new principal came on board. MA can't hold a candle in any respect to PWES. My child loves this school and the teachers. There is zero tolerance for bullying which is a complete change from our experience with MA where they talked about bullying but did nothing to enforce anti-bullying policies. PWES should be the gold standard for the district on both the discipline and academic approach.

Posted February 08, 2012
This is a great school. The academic standards are high and the teachers are excellent. The programs and opportunities for high ability/gifted children are impressive and there is a true emphasis on maximizing each individual child's abilities. It is a very nurturing, kind and caring environment and we love having our kids at this school.

Posted January 17, 2012
This is school is sooo fantastic! I do not know where to begin! The teachers are incredibly skilled and brilliant! I love that my daughter comes home happy and singing or reciting something she has learned that day! She is engaged and the atmosphere is sooo positive! The staff all coordinate and exude teamwork! Wonderful leadership and the PTO and parents all make this a Gem! Love it! I come away smiling every day too! This school is good for the entire family! We all feel that this was the best school we could have found in Colorado!

Posted February 20, 2011
We have loved Prairie Winds Elementary! So far my daughter has been challenged appropriately, always is excited to go to school, and has thrived academically and socially. Their test scores are on the top in this school district. We had initially considered D20 and are really happy that we stayed in D38. I would not hesitate to recommend our district to the most demanding parents that still want to put their kids in public school...

Posted February 11, 2011
In 2004 I enrolled my first child in Prairie Winds Elementary. Since then I have enrolled 3 more. Between the four I have had the opportunity to work closely with the faculty to design and implement the best educational experience for each of my children. Between my children they have needed Occupation, Physical, and Speech Therapies, ELL Services, multiple IEP's for reading and writing, and recently, Gifted classes. Not only has Prairie Winds acknowledged and met their physical and intellectual needs they have been attentive to their emotional needs as well. From age 6 to 12 is a very tender time in a childs life and I have been so surprised, relieved, and thankful for the time and tenderness the faculty has shown to each of them in their personal challenges. I have seen and felt the sincere interest and concern they have for my children. How lucky we have been to have found Prairie Winds! Thank You!

Posted February 06, 2011
Prairie Winds isa an amazing school! The teachers are some of the best I have seen. The school community works together to provide the best learning experience possible. The PTO has achieved amazing things. The technology in the school is the most advanced I have seen. The leadership team is incredible. Every one in the communty works together. Students are happy, engaged and learning. My children love being at Prairie Winds as do I!

790 King's Deer Point East, Monument, CO  80132
Last modified Prairie Winds Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Prairie Winds Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top