Monument, CO

St. Peter Catholic School 2

Posted April 20, 2015
Our school is both bad and good. We are good at maintaining tight discipline. Children learn that there are consequences and punishments for their actions. They lose recess or privileges if they misbehave or fail to turn in homework. We have silent hallways, silent lunchrooms, and silent classrooms. We are also good at emphasizing a strict Catholic environment. We are not too good at welcoming new families. Children who start in pre-school or kindergarten have an advantage here because that is when all of the connections between children and between parents form. Trying to join the school later in the elementary years can be tough socially. Some military families love our school because it starts with a prayer and the pledge everyday. But other military families find it hard to fit in here because they and their kids are never fully welcomed. We need to work on that. We've gone through 4 principals in only 11 years of existence as a school, so we're seeking stability. Also, about the current 2nd grade teacher--our children had her when she was the 3rd grade teacher. She is definitely a strange lady who picks her favorites at random and is mean to the ones who aren't her favorites.
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 20, 2015
In researching, St. Peter surpassed schools near us, for test scores & the right "feel". We got involved to meet people & to understand the school. My kids have fun at lunch & play, and yes, in the classroom. ALL the teachers know my children by name. The teachers give hugs, receive hugs and care about our children. They celebrate birthdays, holidays & Christmas (with The Polar Express & letters to Santa). I know they continue values we regard at home, because I am often in school. Our principal encourages generosity, kindness, integrity & academic excellence. We have a Father/Daughter dance, Mother/Son games, Spirit Nights, pumpkin carving, Teacher Appreciation week, Field Day, Hot Chocolate Run & school Mass. Our parish offers monetary support. Parishioners & students work on projects. A reading interventionist is on staff. Students who excel, move to higher learning. Kids participate in sports, art, music, Spanish, tech, Girl & Boy Scouts, & Challenge Club. Pizza Fridays support the 8th grade trip. We collect toys for hospitals & have Reading-a-thons for Heifer Intnl. We sell Butter Braids & Entertainment Books. I recommend St. Peter from the bottom of my heart.
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 16, 2015
We LOVE St.Peter! No school will ever be perfect - there is room for improvement specifically with the addition of a playground -- but it's in the works! There is growth and excitement among the parents and administration! As for the teachers - they excel in every way. I have a 2nd grader and a kindergartener and they enjoy going to school each day. I have heard the second grade teacher say several times "there is no such thing as a bad day in the 2nd grade!" There is attention to structure, personal responsibility and integrity! And yes, the real "reason for the season" is emphasized but that is why I choose catholic school for my children in the first place. I could go on and on about all reasons I love my children's teachers but what is most important is that my children LOVE their teachers!!! That speaks for itself.

Posted April 13, 2015
If I could give this school 10 stars I would! St Peter's teachers are the most focused, energetic, and caring teachers who go above and beyond to accommodate students. We are military and were so happy with how the families and students all worked to make us feel at home despite being newcomers. I would note that the small class size and the efficient curbside drop-off and pick-up are two additional benefits.
3 people found this helpful

Posted April 11, 2015
We have four children at St. Peter and could not be happier with the education they are receiving both academic and with their values and morals. They are learning not only math and reading but how to respect each other and themselves and show compassion for all.

Posted April 10, 2015
We love St. Peter Catholic School. Our three children have thrived there, and we have been so pleased with their school experience. The teachers of the lower grades, especially the second grade teacher, have been outstanding. I would not hesitate to recommend St. Peter to anyone looking for a quality Catholic education for their children.

St. Peter Catholic School 1

Posted April 06, 2015
We are angry, hurt, bitter, and heartbroken that our very young elementary school child was taught by the teacher (not by classmates) that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are not real and that Catholics do not believe in such "silly stories" because they are not the true meaning of those holidays. We have known for the several years that our children have attended here that St. Peter was a strict school that took the liturgy and catechism very seriously, but it did not cross our minds that a teacher here would deliberately rob her very young students of these enormous joys. This teacher's religion lessons only just came to light for us this weekend at Easter. We are terribly upset.

Posted March 13, 2015
We just absolutely LOVE this school! I have 3 children in the school and every teacher has been professional and exceptional teachers. The classrooms are nurturing and enriching with a strong faith based environment. We are so blessed to have St. Peter Catholic School.
5 people found this helpful

St. Peter Catholic School 1

Posted February 26, 2015
No, I cannot recommend this school. Some kids might groove on the stern, severe, austere environment here. But if your family values love, warmth, fun, Santa Claus, giggles, & joy this isn't the right school. The fourth-grade and middle school science programs are excellent. But many teachers are sour, catty, and needlessly authoritarian. The second-grade teacher is truly unkind; a number of families have left St. Peter rather than have their children in her class. Parents (and teachers!) grumble that we need a change in climate and culture." Communication is poor. The relationship between the parish and its own school is combative. Most teachers aren't actually parishioners at St. Peter. And while small classes can offer educational benefits, in this tiny school one can't avoid the many meanies. About academic excellence: No smart boards. No Gifted & Talented program. No pull-out resource program for struggling learners. No academic aides. No playground! There s only the concrete parking lot for play not even a grassy field. Finally, St. Peter Catholic School seems broke. Too much focus on requests for money, fundraising, and chinchiness.
5 people found this helpful

Posted February 22, 2015
We love the small class sizes and the faith based education for our son. The school can celebrate Christmas and Easter freely, which is important to our family. The school follows Core Knowledge curriculum, which means we do not have to deal with the negatives of Common Core in the public schools. The principal and teachers are extremely dedicated, which shows in every aspect of the school. Parents are also very involved. We enrolled my son for pre-k, but he will be attending St. Peter all the way through 8th grade...

St. Peter Catholic School
124 First Street, Monument, CO  80132
Last modified St. Peter Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Peter Catholic School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top