Posted February 23, 2014
My daughter has attended Shepherd Valley since kindergarten and is now in the fourth grade. She has been challenged and broadened socially and academically, and has been inspired and delighted by the beauty of the curriculum and the excellence and devotion of the faculty. Anyone who wants to help their child meet the challenges of this fast-paced, technology-driven society and solve the urgent global problems of humanity should begin by looking for a school that nurtures not only the intellect, but the heart and the imagination. Shepherd Valley is a hidden gem in Boulder County.

Posted February 22, 2014
A wonderful school on a beautiful 38 acres that the students get to explore every day. My 5th grader is well versed, balanced and growing in the areas of math, science, German, Chinese, music, painting, building, making, etc... His classroom has a very supportive and non-competitive feeling to it, with students often helping each other learn. The teachers are extraordinary, with an amazing understanding of child development, and age appropriate learning. My child is thriving not only academically, but creatively and socially as well -- this education is as much about growing students/scholars as it is about growing thoughtful, well-adjusted humans. I can say emphatically: I LOVE my child's school, and we are thrilled that we have made attending Shepherd Valley a priority.

Posted February 16, 2014
We came into this school during our children's pre-school years and learned about Waldorf education gradually. We were unsure of our plans post early childhood years, but when it came time to go mainstream or stay with the Waldorf tradition at this gem of a school, we realized we just HAD to stay. Shepherd Valley focuses on the whole child through multi-sensory learning. It's a different approach. Even though I am a clinical psychologist with a good understanding of child development and the importance of a well rounded education, it took me a little time to to adjust and fully understand the amazing benefits of a Waldorf education. Since we started in the grades, I have been incredibly impressed with my children's education at this school. I have interacted with students in all grade levels and am struck by how articulate, confidant and emotionally aware they are. I see my children developing into well rounded, critical thinkers who can have intelligent conversations with adults. I feel that sending my children to SVWS is one of the best gift I can give them, and it is easy for me to see why Waldorf education is the fastest growing educational system in the world!

Posted January 20, 2014
Our experience is that this school has been great for our child's self-esteem! The teachers really care and are there to help each child develop their full capacities. We really wanted to avoid the academic pressure cooker that mainstream schools have become these days. For example, a friend of ours told us that their daughter was all stressed out about a big test coming up--in Kindergarten!! Our child was really shy in Kindergarten, and this kind of pressure would have been really bad for him. The Shepherd Valley Waldorf environment allows youngest children to discover the joy of learning, without the stress. Testing comes later. And yes, we have a different schedule for certain subjects than mainstream schools, so the youngest children get a much fuller development of their imagination, which later becomes a foundation for academic learning, creative problem-solving, critical thinking skills, etc. In addition, this school has a resource that very few schools in the country have: 38 acres of land! We already have a CSA farm and there are more exciting plans in the works. We are SO glad our child has this opportunity to connect with nature and the outdoors!

Posted May 13, 2013
This is a great school! Teachers are dedicated and staff is committed. Be ready to learn a lot about child development and community work. Parents are asked to be highly invovled and to make a real commitment to the education and their child.

Shepherd Valley Waldorf School 2

Posted February 04, 2013
Well-intentioned staff, but underfunded school and lack of resources hinders their ability to provide a great education. If planning to have your child attend Waldorf to high school, Shining Mountain provides a much more robust education for not a lot more cost. If considering switching to public school when your child is in elementary, it is highly likely that your child will be behind grade level expectations and their self-esteem could suffer in the transition to public school. Proceed with caution.

Posted March 22, 2011
Great school for children who love the outdoors and who want to be engaged by a rich and truly interesting curriculum. A dynamic education, outstanding teachers and a fun place to be.

Posted August 13, 2010
A hidden treasure of a school, Shepherd Valley has such heart and soul and all the students benefit from the incredible cadre of teachers. Students are taught to think so deeply and to consider their studies carefully. It's so worth the visit. One family said, we considered other Waldorf schools, but at Shepherd Valley, every single person we met was warm and welcoming and we just know our kids will get the most incredible education.

Shepherd Valley Waldorf School 0

Posted September 16, 2009
Shepherd Valley is a grass roots school, founded on the principle that children deserve respect and deserve their childhood. We earn theirs by giving them ours. We do this in many different ways. The school strives to cultivate their imaginations, honoring their individualities, and see them as unique individuals who have come here to fulfill destinies. The teachers and parents work together to strengthen our community and our support of the growing children. We may not have much in the way of money, but we've got a lot of spirit and have pulled together to keep our school alive in the toughest of times. Our faculty is as cohesive as they come and we all love and respect each other, even if we disagree. We work out of consensus and work long and hard for the children that come to us.

Shepherd Valley Waldorf School
6500 West Dry Creek Parkway, Niwot, CO  80503
Last modified Shepherd Valley Waldorf School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Shepherd Valley Waldorf School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top