Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Posted November 29, 2015
This is our first year at Hulstrom and we are so thankful to be a part of this school and community. My son has advanced rapidly in his reading, math, writing and spelling. He absolutely loves going to school. My son's teacher and staff have been top notch. Principal Madsen goes above and beyond to get to know the students and parents. We feel extremely blessed to be a part of this outstanding school!

Hulstrom Options K-8 School
Grateful to: Staff member

Posted September 13, 2015
Mrs. Tracy at the main office. She's just very warm and caring for the safety of the kids and everyone.

Hulstrom Options K-8 School 3

Posted September 13, 2015
I believe the common core Math curriculum hurts the GT kids in the sense that they don't pause at each topic long and deep enough to fully grasp it. They introduce calculators to kindergartners to use for that level of math which I think is criminal. Any child regardless of being GT or not, should be able to and be taught to do basic manipulations including the four major operations (add, subtract, multiply, and divide) in their head not by the aid of a calculator. These kids can do so much better than this and I believe it's the matter of the teachers not having enough training to 'teach' math. I am a mathematics college instructor and it just frustrates me to see these bright kids' talent go to waist. My son prior to coming to Hulstrom, was capable of doing basic math operations in his head but now thanks to the Kinder teacher has learned to use only fingers . This is a problem for our nation and we're leading the path for being dumbed down everyday and the bring your own device and Ipads with calculator apps and not enough recess and lunch time( 15 min each) is not helping these kids get all that extra energy out and help concentrate either. The school district also refuses to offer basic bus service transportation for these kids with ALP yet they continue to offer special transportaion for kids with IEP on the opposite side of the spectrum. What a discrimination and lack of care. Our country seems to want to only make sure that 'no child is left behind' from the bottom of the curve and not for its brightest and most neglected minorities!!

Posted June 10, 2014
GREAT school for GT learners! I has been an amazing answer to our concerns for getting our children a challenging, yet enlightening education. Our children get to be "normal" by being with other kids that thrive on learning and being challenged, with a variety of interests. Most of the teachers thrive on excelling and keeping up with the latest trends. Technology is being incorporated throughout the classroom. Also it is a good mix socially and very diverse.

Posted May 14, 2014
This is a great school to be for the all students who have a good motivation to learn.

Posted July 27, 2013
This school is just a wonderful place, especially for a GT learner. We have felt so welcomed and part of a community of talented teachers and students. My gifted son really needed the differentiation and extensions to the curriculum as well as the social emotional support provided at this school. The teachers could not be more dedicated and committed to helping each child reach his or her potential. What a special honor it is to be here!

Posted November 27, 2012
The gifted and talented program is by the far among the top programs in the country. My kids recently transferred from Hulstrom to another regular but highly ranked school district in a different state. They are so far ahead in nearly every area of learning. They were challenged, encouraged and empowered in every possible way by Hulstrom's quietly intelligent teachers. It is a task to challenge them similarly now. To say that we miss this school is an understatement. I want to thank the school and the teachers for all they have done for my kids and wish them the best for the coming years.

Posted October 30, 2012
Both of my children have attended Hulstrom since kindergarten and have been there for almost five years. I can not express enough how amazing our personal experiences have been and how pleased we ALL are with the school, teachers, parents, administrators, and staff. It's true, the academic pace is fast and best suited to children who pick up new information quickly, retain it well, and make use of that information readily and without much repetition. While there are many areas for a child to excel, this is a school for the academically gifted, highly intelligent, fast learner. Hulstrom does have wonderful "specials" opportunities in music, art, and Chinese; however, if one of these areas is the primary discipline your child is "gifted" in, they are going to drown in their classroom and possibly suffer with self-esteem issues due to the ever dreaded "peer comparisons." Some reviewers have complained about the amount of homework, but it's not overwhelming to kids who do it quickly. Bottom line, know both your child and what you are getting into before starting here.

Posted May 04, 2012
I thank my lucky stars my child got into Hulstrom! The lottery process was a little unnerving, but now that he is a third grader I am thankful everyday that our "number was pulled." Being an advance learner, I was worried the neighborhood school would leave him bored and frustrated. Hulstrom has proven year after year, to not only challenge but to nurture him through learning and social steps. The teachers and administration are top-notch and honestly care about each and every child !I am looking forward to my youngest to start kindergarten here in the Fall. It's just an all around great school! I just wish it wasn't so hard to get into!

Posted January 10, 2012
This is our 3rd year in the Hulstrom family. We have three children who all attend this fantastic school. Two of our children started here in Kindergarten and one transferred into Hulstrom. The school has gone above and beyond to meet the individual social, emotional and educational needs of each of our VERY different children. The prior administration did a great job with any discipline issues that arose. However, we felt something was lacking. The current administration has impressed us with their daily personal investment into the lives of our children. Their excitement for education is contagious. When you LOVE your job - it is evident! The faculty has gained our admiration for their genuine enthusiasm to teach our children. They challenge our children to be their best and to bring their best each and every day. New this year at Hulstrom, is the PBIS system. This positive behavior system has seen results that prove it is a great addition to our school. A little fine tuning after its pilot year will only increase its effectiveness. We look forward to many more excellent years at Hulstrom. We are ecstatic our children have an environment in which to thrive!!!

Hulstrom Options K-8 School
11551 Wyco Drive, Northglenn, CO  80233
Last modified Hulstrom Options K-8 School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.