Westgate Charter School

Charter | K-8

Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Westgate is awesome! This is our second year at the school, and I am even more impressed than last year. My child's teachers took TWO full weeks assessing her skills and the skills of the other kids to make sure they are all properly placed in the right learning groups (not one to two hours like I've seen at other schools). Considering that Westgate is geared towards GT kids, extra work must be put into making sure each kid is challenged and not bored in school. Westgate has made this happen, and the teachers have risen to the challenge of all of the smart kids they have! I also love that my daughter isn't pulled out of her "regular" classes to do GT work. Each child's entire school day is designed around his/her abilities. My daughter recently told me that of all the things she does in a given week (local city soccer, dance class, biking around our neighborhood), Westgate is her favorite place to go and her favorite place to be. As a parent that wants to instill a lifelong love of learning and believes kids should be engaged and challenged, I couldn't be happier with this school.

Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The school is truly incredible. Like any place, it has its challenges. Westgate rises to the challenges and kicks their butts mostly due to the fantastic teachers. To say that the teachers are rock stars would be selling them short. Our kid has been at Westgate for two years, and I have been constantly impressed by the teachers' level of commitment to the kids' development, their competence, enthusiasm and flexibility. If your child needs a little extra attention in some area, they are on it. If your child just gets a subject and needs a whole different level of challenge, they are ready. The flexibility of the teachers' approach and willingness to adapt classes to let the kids lead the way in their own education, while ensuring that quality learning takes place is impressive. True professionals. And don't even get me started on the concept of working at school, and coming home ready to be at home, not to do hours of homework. Life is insane enough without hours of homework. This also lets kids develop a healthy concept of leaving work at work -- something I could be better at. Most importantly, our child LOVES school, loves learning and loves the teachers. Win.

Posted Monday, September 15, 2014

Westgate Charter School is an outstanding out of the box school that focuses on the non-traditional learning styles many gifted children need to be successful. Our children absolutely love the staff and attention they receive making them want to learn more and more each day.

Posted September 4, 2014

Last night I was driving back after curriculum night and decided to have a date night with my 2nd grade daughter enjoying our shared guilty pleasure: strip mall chinese. From the back seat she asked if she could read me some Jack Prelutsky poetry (um, yes please), and she bravely tackled crazy words like "burgeoning." Then at dinner she assessed whether the soup should be considered a solid or a liquid since it was thickened with corn starch, and decided since it did not keep its shape it was a liquid. Then she diagramed the motion of molecules in different states of matter on her napkin and discussed the process of condensation. Sometimes you don't need grades or MAPS or TCAPs to know how school is going. Thanks Westgate!!

Posted August 27, 2014

What a nightmare school! We attended all the intro meetings (they require multiple ones) filled out a ridiculously long application (which we did not, in the end, turn in), did the tour, etc. We head heard about how poorly behaved kids can sap all the teacher attention, but we still wanted to go view for ourselves. We were appalled at the lack of safety measures and most of all at the rude attitude towards parents. If you have any concerns and would like to speak directly to the administration, they are simply not willing or available. And this attitude goes all the way to the top, the Director. Honestly, during every interaction I got the impression that they like students but hate dealing with parents in any capacity. We simply won't send our kid to a school where we feel the administration views parents as "necessary evils to be avoided."

Posted August 26, 2014

There are better schools to serve the needs of your gifted child. From Westgate's "about" page, they claim, "Westgate Community School (WCS) is the dream of a group of parents & educators who believe that all gifted learners deserve an educational experience commensurate with their unique needs and abilities...Our goal is to make our students feel successful, understood, and appreciated for who they are." My child, a highly gifted student with an identified disability was at Westgate for three years. My child was isolated in class, physically grabbed and pushed around by support staff members, spoken to in a negative and demeaning manner, and treated like an outcast. Upon filing a complaint with the state, it was found that they were in violation of state education laws. This school fails to hire qualified and licensed staff at all levels to support the needs of gifted children. Check state license web sites. Turnover is very high in this school for both students & staff. Ask yourself, "why" and look toward other schools to effectively meet the needs of your gifted student.

Posted August 22, 2014

We.are very excited this year at Westgate. Our high schooler just began his first classes in college and our 6th grader couldn't be happier in her classes. There are some new teachers this year, but i only count 3 this year. Sure some teachers have switched teams, but they are still at the school. There is a new counselor but she is AMAZING! Our high schooler was worried about starting classes and she worked with him to be sure all of his questions were answered and she went with the students to FRCC on the first day of classes! We feel so supported by all of the staff at Wesgate. This is a wonderful place to be if your children are gifted and craving challenge!

Posted August 21, 2014

This is the third year my daughter has been at Westgate. She has had a great experience here. She has had great teachers, she has learned a lot, she has made tons of friends, and when there have been issues, they have been resolved. In addition, she has been in the BASE program and the BASE director has been awesome, providing lots of activities and I feel she is safe and well taken care of. While things aren't always perfect, I'm not sure what school is. Overall, I feel Westgate is trying to do what is best for kids, and because it is not a traditional school, it's not the best fit for everyone.

Posted August 19, 2014

My kids at first loved this school; smaller ratios of teacher/students. Over time, I had been nervous at the fact that the teacher turnover rate is incredibly high, where behavioral issues are more than obvious with many classrooms, teachers/staff abusing their job titles, (taking personal cell phone calls during class while ordering kids to remain silent throughout class period) classrooms are their cafeteria, and weeds and blacktop/parking lot is their recess living, our gifted and talented kids are to 'use their imaginations' when playing. If you're a stay at home parent, this may be the school for your kids, anyone else used to district level policies should reconsider where you send your children... putting them here may in fact send them back.

Posted August 13, 2014

We've had our son at Westgate for 3 years now, and I'm finally pulling him out. I wish I'd done it long ago. His Kindergarten year was great, but then the bullying and teasing started. He kept getting told to work it out for himself, and no support was given at all. In any situation outside of his academic classes (e.g., BASE, PE, recess) they have no structure or adequate supervision, so the kids essentially have a free-for-all. My son was teased, punched, kicked, and hit, and no teacher could stop it, or would even claim to witness it, and would completely dismiss my son's complaints. We tried to get him help, but that went nowhere.

Posted August 13, 2014

I have struggled with what to write for many months since there is little information available about Westgate for prospective families other than Chris J's presentation. While Westgate was founded on a great premise, it has fallen short in execution. While happy with my children's teachers, we were very disappointed by the administration, the BASE program, and the lack of any type of playground other than a cracked, weed-ridden blacktop. While my children were safe overall, some very alarming behavioral problems occurred in the classroom, some of which directly impacted my children and their learning environment. While we feel that our children received a good education during their year at Westgate, we are happy to get them out before they develop any gaps as mentioned in other reviews. Westgate is a choice that we made after winning the lottery at many District 12 schools and we are now exercising our right to send them somewhere else after winning the lotteries at many schools. We hope that Westgate will work through their problems for the sake of the students that are still there but it will need a major overhaul before that happens, both administratively and financially.

Posted August 11, 2014

The reviewer who said 20 teachers have left since the end of the 2012-13 school year was wrong but didn't lie. More like 28 teachers (K-12, Specials + the school counselor) have left since then, some mid-year, and many were great teachers. Just open up your yearbooks and count for yourself.

Posted August 10, 2014

We will be pulling our student. We are a new family to Westgate and we couldn't be more DISAPOINTED. Westgate is a nightmare. Several families pulled their kids out of a rigorous program for gifted high school students and brought them to Westgate. These kids excelled in their previous program and have changed their lives to go to Westgate because of false promises of a better learning environment. The first week of class is over and my student has no idea what classes she will be taking at the college or the high school. The teachers can t answer her scheduling questions and the administration won t answer email. I would email the teachers, but their email addresses are not listed on the website and to send them a message through the website I need a log-in, which I can t get because there is only one person who can give it to me and they are on leave! I can t get information from the front desk. There is no course catalog and the information on the High school page and college page on the website are out of date. Spanish 2 is the only foreign language class offered. The Board is a joke. I would like to tell Westgate how we feel, but who do we tell?

Posted August 9, 2014

We have been at Westgate since the first year and we are so excited about the start of this year. There is a buzz in the building. The teachers have jumped right in. The morning routine for little ones seems more organized. It just keeps getting better and better. We have three at Westgate with number four on his way. He can't wait to start school. Our children come out each day with something interesting to talk about. We couldn't be more grateful to Westgate, Chris J and all the teachers. It's a wonderful place to be. (And to the last reviewer, all of out kids got their ALPs last year - are you even real parent here? Also, 20 teachers didn't leave. That's a lie.) Thank you Westgate! You ROCK!

Posted August 5, 2014

I would encourage all parents of GT students, new and veterans, to demand an ALP (Advanced Learning Plan) as is your child's legal right in Colorado. Westgate will tell you that your child doesn't need one since they are a GT school but insist on one anyway to hold them accountable. Ask to view it and have it available at conferences. Also, the teacher turnover is very high as other reviewers have pointed out. From the end of the 2012-13 school year to the beginning of the 2014-15 school year 20 teachers have left the school ( 3 of those left during the school year and no there was not a baby boom). This does not include support staff which also seems to have a high turnover. The % of students who leave is just as bad. Even board members, board presidents and the founding members have pulled their kids from this school. Many families have loved this school at one point, only to be shocked and disappointed when they discovered that no matter how loyal you are, this school will hide something important from you or simply ignore legitimate concerns.

Posted July 31, 2014

Westgate and their mission/vision sounds great on paper, but this school has been nothing but a disappoint from the moment my child set foot on that campus. As a parent with a twice exceptional student Westgate sounded great, because of how they integrate center types of accommodations school-wide. However, Westgate-and especially Chris the Director-- thinks she has all the answers, and creates an environment extremely difficult to work with in terms of IEP and 504. Bottom line is no outside therapies sought for my child were reinforced at school and his education and progress has suffered. I caution any parent to take any sort of in school testing with a grain of salt, as I did. While Westgate reported on grade level, when tested by a learning specialist outside of school he was two grade levels below. We are now spending almost all our time getting our child outside therapies and interventions, simply to undo what was not addressed at Westgate. Further, the communication between staff at all levels is a joke. Do not expect any progress reports or responses to emails. It should also be noted the turnover in families & staff is extremely high. Westgate should be ashamed.

Posted July 29, 2014

We are going into our 4th year at Westgate and could not be happier. Both of my gifted children thrive here. Westgate is different. It is not for everyone, But which school is? When checking into charter school, each offers something different, and Westgate is different in an amazing way. Each year, both my children have grown, academically, emotionally, and spiritually. This is the BEST place for my kids!! I have great communication with both teachers and administration, and have had my children's problems solved in a timely manner.

Posted July 22, 2014

I agree with the review posted May 5th. Also, the teacher and student turnover rate is significant and not just after the school year ends but during the school year. If another Westgate family recommends Westgate, be aware that they are offering free student fees if you refer a family that stays until the student count (for funding by the district) is over in October. A lot of families have left. We were at this school for a long time but left due to its instability and poor communication. The leadership is very convincing and will win you over at the information nights but they disappear and avoid you once you enroll your student. They will tell you not everyone is a good fit for Westgate. This is true, especially is you like your school to be accountable and communicate in a timely manner.

Posted May 29, 2014

I usually ignore the single star reviews, but I have to say this school really deserves one star, if any. We pulled our children out mid-year. They were playing at school, and not much else. When I tried to check on my son's progress in math, I found his folder empty. There's no homework and so I had no idea what he was supposed to be learning. There doesn't seem to be any kind of plan or sequence, and one teacher asked me to leave her classroom when I asked how he did on a test. I really wanted to give this school a chance. We have twice exceptional kids, and we were compelled, but you should be very careful when considering this school. There are a lot of very good reviews, but if you'll notice they all kind of come at the same time, like the school has its staff write a lot of positives to offset the negatives from real families. Also, good teachers are leaving due to tense director-down relationships. Turnover rate is extraordinary, and from what I hear there are fears of retaliation from the top down when a teacher wants to look for another job. This negative culture filters down to students and we felt it keenly.

Posted May 17, 2014

Our sons, grades 1 & 5, are in their second year at Westgate and we couldn t be happier. As a college teacher, I hear constant complaints that students can t think critically. That's why my kids go to Westgate. The level of education is hugely better than at the other two schools my oldest attended. They do projects that challenge gifted kids to think outside the box and see applications for what they are learning. I have amazing conversations with my son at a level that I d be happy if my college students could attain. The teachers, especially the 5/6 team, are the best teachers ever. They re creative, caring, fun, and inventive. My son adores them. Other things I love: no homework, small class sizes, REAL individualized education, responsiveness to parents (both kids were moved up in math by our request), breaks and recess, workshop to teach kids responsibility for their own assignments, amazing communication from the teachers (I know exactly what my kids are working on each week in each subject and I can look up their grades any time), laptops for each kid, etc. This is our third school and we finally got it right. We commute 25 minutes each way because this school is worth it.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

All Students80%

Students without disabilities83%
Proficient in English75%
Neither migrant nor immigrant77%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 4%N/A41%
Male 56%N/A51%
Female 44%N/A49%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

12500 Washington