North Star Academy

Charter | K-8

Posted May 25, 2010

North Star Academy Charter is a school of choice...a choice I am proud to be a part of! This school has a back to basics philosophy with a well defined curriculum that has helped my two daughters to thrive. The expectations in the school are set high both for academics and behavior...but those expectations are taught and modeled by the teachers and administration. One of the best qualities that sets NSA apart from other schools is the community feel throughout the school that leads to outstanding communication between teachers and parents. NSA is a cut above!

Posted May 25, 2010

NSA is an excellent school with high academic standards and fairly rigorous discipline. I would definitely consider it a cut above most public schools, and close to what I imagine a private school would be like. I can definitely say that my kids are well ahead of where they probably would be in a normal school. Some things it requires of parents are committment, involvement, and engagement. You need to pay attention to what's expected of your kids, as I think it can be a little hard for kids to keep up with the demands on their own. For example there is a fair amount of homework and frequent projects, events, etc. Curriculum is challenging but with your support it is acheivable.

Posted May 24, 2010

I only wish I had found North Star Academy sooner! For an unbiased overview of the school, take the time to review the North Star website (www.nstaracademy.org) and read the 90-page Parent Survey which is posted online by their School Academic Advisory Committee (SAAC - a Parent Committee). This will give you a much better overall picture of North Star Academy and North Star parents' opinions of the school and its administration/teachers. This is an excellent school with Core Knowledge Curriculum, a daily Spanish program, and students who, through example and a principal-taught Character Education Program, are expected to behave appropriately. If your child is allowed to dress inappropriately, bring weapons to school, smart-mouth teachers or loves to pick fights with other children, this may not be the school for you! This school actually has consequences for bad and/or inappropriate behavior. How refreshing!

Posted May 24, 2010

I am very pleased with the leadership, discipline, and academics in the school. North Star provides children with an excellent learning environment. The school is very lucky to have a strong Principal. She sets the tone for the school. We have had our two children in the school since it opened, and are very pleased with the excellent teachers.

Posted May 19, 2010

I would agree that the initial reaction to North Star is a great one!! My child has attended since it's inception in 2006. One thing this school does not comprehend is that as children grow they change. This school wants to mold each student into the perfect scholar soldier. If they do not fit the mold, the principal/administration will do everything in their power to get you out. They threaten with expulsion/suspension and there is no partnership between student/parent/faculty to help. "Zero Tolerance" is their mission! The teachers are great but driven by the principal, they are required to move through courses quickly, not taking into consideration comprehension. Not all children learn the same or behave the same and I'm sure the Prinicipal has great intentions but if your child does not fit the mold, you can plan on many encounters with the Principal. Good Luck!

Posted May 12, 2010

We have been at North Star since the first year it opened. What an amazing experience! I will say I had plenty of doubts when choosing a 'brand new' school. Fortunately we made the best decision! The environment is wonderful and the education spectacular. Both of my students perform well above grade level, and are challenged through the Word Masters, Junior Great Books and Character Education Programs. The school itself has a very tight, 'no tolerance' policy. Any issues we've had socially have been addressed in an imediate manner! I don't think they are afraid to say, 'We don't want the behavior issues here!' Looking forward to what the future holds at North Star!

Posted April 28, 2010

My child has also had issues at NSA and will not be returning next year. While the building expansion is beautiful, the middle school faculty is not. The teachers do not motivate the kids and have made math, science and social studies absolutely boring. I had high hopes for my child being in a charter school, but found the results to be extremely disappointing. This school could benefit from a change in administration.

Posted April 27, 2010

My daughter had a horrible experience at North Star. Her academic needs were not met (she is gifted) and she was teased. The principal did nothing to help academically nor with the teasing. The teachers seem highly stressed and in fear whenever the principal is around. The public schools offer much more in both academic capability and extra-curricular activities.

Posted October 26, 2009

We recently left North Star for greener pastures. The school is great in that they do a lot to make it a special experience for kids. Field days are amazing, art shows are great, etc. One of my sons had an excellent experience there and a teacher who really went out of her way to help him. If that had been my only experience I would have rated them a 5. However, my other son had multiple problems. Without going into detail just know that if you have a child who is gifted or significantly advanced this school does not have programs in place to teach them. Which is why I rated them a 3. If your child fits into their program this school is and will be a wonderful experience for them. If your child has needs not the best choice

Posted September 20, 2009

This is our 4th year attending North Star Academy and we still love it!! For a school that has literally started from the ground up with parent support the whole way it is amazing to see all that they have accomplished. We have a 40 minute round trip every day and I don't mind doing it for the education my children are receiving. We have never had an issue with the teachers, the principal or completing the 40 hours of volunteering, I'm usually between 60-80 hours by the time the year is done. I am always recommending this school to anyone that feels their children are not receiving all they can at their neighborhood school. 5 stars for North Star Academy!!!!!

Posted May 3, 2009

We moved our 2 girls from near by Douglas county school. We noticed a big difference. The core knowledge curriculum is excellent. The school's Accelerated Reading program is good and teachers continuously encouraging and monitoring students progress. Parents are involved and very well connected to other parents in the school. Ms.Haws does a great job. our daughters get a good grasp of Maths and English after moving to this school. The physical education and sports can be better. But we cannot complain as the school is getting new playground.

Posted February 10, 2009

The School is really great at English and Spanish, but really lasks in Science and Math. Teaching Abilities vary widely and is the luck of the draw. Good, but to be great needs to be more consistant.

Posted February 6, 2009

I was directed to this site from another email and thought, 'I wonder what they are saying about North Star?'' I have to say I was surprised to find that there were some negative comments--Truly surprised! Having moved our children from our neighborhood school, I don't want to imagine how far behind, and less enriched, our children would be if we hadn't made the decision to uproot them. My children are not only receiving a top notch education but they are learning how to be community leaders. And, the Core Knowledge curriculum speaks for itself. The principal, Ms. Haws, runs a tight ship but has never given me the impression she is cryptic regarding her expectations of her teachers. As one teacher, who is also a parent, put it to me, 'As a boss she may be tough, but as a parent, she is who you want running your child's school.'

Posted January 27, 2009

We love North Star! Our two daughters are excelling at NSA thanks to a well-run program. The leadership, from the Board to the Administration to the teachers are all exceptional. We feel our children are getting a strong, solid education in an enviornment that is structured and fun at the same time. The curriculum, from the Core Knowledge to the integrated Spanish program, to the weekly Character Education and Servive Learning projects are outstanding!

Posted January 23, 2009

This is a wonderful school that I CHOOSE to send my kids to! It is worth the 40 min drive round-trip each day because it is very challenging, unlike the neighborhood school. There is so much respect, discipline, & culture that will help kids excell in the future. I enjoy being a part of my kids' life & volunteering when I can. I also like that everything is accessible on the school website.

Posted January 23, 2009

As a Founding Parent of NSA, living in the most western edge of HR - I am thrilled with our school! Our children love NSA. It is so fun to hear them speak the Spanish they are learning. They love their teachers and our principal. It is important to instill character building principals everyday, and NSA does that. If our children don't learn to respect themselves and each other at school, it will be difficult for them to do so later in life. Each year gets better and better with new programs and enriched curriculum-learning experiences.

Posted January 22, 2009

This school is a great disappointment. The environment is rigid and the term 'flexibility' does not exist. The offerings at my local school are much wider and the kids are allowed to be kids. We will not be returning to NSA and can't wait for the year to be over.

Posted January 21, 2009

Northstar is unbelievable! My daughter loves the challenging curriculum she was not getting from our neighborhood school. She is so much happier here. The principal is one of best I have ever seen. She loves her school and takes great pride in it. Northstar is 'the' school to be in and I am glad we are in!

Posted December 3, 2008

fantastic elementary school, with all the right programs in place for my child to excel; wise and accessible principal, teachers working very hard to do cover all academic with all level of students, tight discipline.

Posted November 8, 2008

This wonderful school is now nearly half way through it's third year in operation, and gets more fabulous every quarter. The charter environment allows the teachers and administrators to assess, monitor and manage the curriculum and the learning environment with such incredible fine tuning. The secret is out and the wait list is growing.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Female89%

Students without disabilities79%
Proficient in English79%
Neither migrant nor immigrant79%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 0%N/A41%
Male 47%N/A51%
Female 53%N/A49%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

16700 Keystone Blvd