Public charter
Parker, CO
After care: No

Posted July 26, 2015
Our children have experienced tremendous academic and emotional growth at NSA!! This school fosters a very nurturing and structured environment by focusing on character development and service projects. The staff is exceptional and the leadership is approachable and inspiring.

Posted July 24, 2015
We have been at NSA for 6 years now and it has been a great experience. The staff is great and it is a very warm and welcoming environment. I love the academics and the strong character education program!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 24, 2015
The administration has worked hard to find a "just right" balance. Parents are surveyed each year on this topic, and the majority agree.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted July 24, 2015
These are results of the award-winning character education program that has been woven throughout the school and curriculum since the school began.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 24, 2015
They truly care about their students, and have their best interests in mind. Students can sense this and are eager to learn in a classroom where they feel accepted.

North Star Academy 1

Posted July 08, 2015
As a parent with a special needs child, I would not recommend this school to any family that has a child who needs extra support. The school is extremely ill equipt to accommodate for anything except reading groups. In addition to a huge lack in services for special needs, bullying is a huge problem and starts at the top and goes all the way down to the parents and children.

Posted October 16, 2014
I just spent a week hosting a book fair at North Star. Once again I was impressed with the students and staff, Lori Wood the Librarian, and the incredible parental support they had throughout the week. Students are well-behaved and courteous, and parental involvement makes for a very caring and fun atmosphere. I look forward to returning to help them with their next fair!

North Star Academy 2

Posted September 27, 2014
Unfortunately NSA's strict policies take away from their curriculum. If you don't fit the soldier mold, you'll be pushed out. Middle school rules are even more drastic. If your child forgets to wear a belt, automatic detention. Definitely a political atmosphere, regulations/disapline depends on each child, not across the board. NSA focuses on scores/awards, than on the students. Admin hands changed NSA without any real explanation. Bullying is a huge issue & not handled properly. Spanish, science & technology are very much lacking. High turnover with Spanish teachers & they don't really absorb it in the time given. No science labs for middle school. Tech is a bit behind, when comparing local schools. No lockers, therefore dragging their backpacks with them. Even with a backpack on wheels, they still have to get it in/out of carpool on their own. Child with disabilities, allergies or any extra needs will be a fight & staff considers it to be "getting more privileges than rest of the students". We've since moved on to greener pastures to another charter school in Parker, we feel our child's needs are met & spirits not broken. Only wish we would've found our current school sooner.
6 people found this helpful

Posted September 22, 2014
We are starting our 4th year at North Star Academy and have 2 daughters at the school. I am super thankful that I took the time to learn about the charter schools in the area because North Star has been an incredible fit for our family. The core curriculum at North Star raises the bar beginning in Kindergarten and it's amazing to see these kids rise to the occasion...with kids reading and learning math at least a whole grade level ahead. I have had the pleasure of being time in the classroom for the past 3 years and the teachers are challenging yet show incredible care towards all the children in the classroom, a perfect balance in my book and new computer equipment in the classrooms this year is awesome. I'm excited about the current administration with an engaged principal who has been apart of the school since day one. And with the movement of a middle school teacher to the Assistant Principal position (who will see 4 of his children attend NSA), I feel the administration is perfectly poised to continue to make NSA a school of choice. One of my favorite opportunities that NSA provides is a Character Education program of life skills that will benefit them for years to come!

Posted September 17, 2014
This is our 4th year now at North Star and we absolutely love it. The teachers are fantastic and the education they are receiving is phenomenal! I love the character education they receive and the fact they have Spanish class every day. My kids are thriving and are very happy here.

16700 Keystone Blvd, Parker, CO  80134
Last modified North Star Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
North Star Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 77 reviews. Top