Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

We moved to Parker a year ago and chose our neighborhood, in part, on proximity to Iron Horse. The principal, Mr. Getchel, insisted on taking time to show us around the school and we saw first-hand his attention and caring for the students. We were concerned, at first, that there wouldn't be enough specialized instruction to accommodate students performing at different levels than the bulk of the pupils, but the staff has been very helpful and communicative in this regard. Our son is now in his second year at the school and loves it.

Amount of homework: Agree

Yet, the teachers should include the parents in the plan. They seem to hide the agenda and then lable children incorrectly.

They need a new principal. They also need Adversity training. We have had our girls in other schools areound the coundtry, yet this one is the worst. The teachers are not trained to actually teach/coach. Yet they test all the time. If you are a parent that coaches and educate your child or have educational advanced children, you will do well. Otherwise, you are in trouble and WILL need to get a tutor for your children.

I have 3 children at this school. One is going to middle school this year, and I am seriously considering sending the other 2 to another school instead. NO communication between school and parents, and the ancillary staff at the school are rude and disrespectful. Love my son's IEP teacher, and the classroom teachers have been fair - some great - some not, but I've had enough of the overall indifference. I will not be sending my youngest child here at all, which is a shame because I used to love this school but it has tanked in the last year or so.

Poor administration at this school. It's no wonder so many have withdrawn their children to attend another school. Poor behavior amongst students is tolerated. Bully behavior is tolerated. In the classroom expect the teacher to teach to the lowest student. If your children are average to low then you probably won't notice the lack of leadership and quality of education. The environment feels more like a daycare than a school.

I have three children at Iron Horse and absolutely love our school. We have phenomenal teachers, leadership and parent involvement, and my children thrive here. Our principal prioritizes learning opportunities, not test scores. I am an education policy expert and am quite discerning and observant--I have very high standards and know well what a good school should do and be. Despite our choice in DougCo, I choose my high quality neighborhood school.

My daughter has been in this school for 2 years. She has gotten so far behind that I've had to hire a tutor. There is a huge lack of communication between the teachers and parents. I have reached out so many times to the teachers about how far behind she is and have gotten little response. Parent teacher conferences consisted of my daughter explaining her scores to me while the teacher was no where to be found all through second grade. There is a big problem with bullying. Communication in general for the entire school is very poor. Overall, 2 years later and I'm paying for 159 hours of tutor at $58/hour to get my daughter caught up. This school was so bad for her that we are moving to another town to get her in a better school.

I have two kids at this school. It's mixed for me since we've had a couple of great teachers and then more of them not so great. I think my biggest complaint is the lack of communication between the school and parents. The school does not post needed information on the website and most of the time you find out about events at the last minute (sometimes less than a day in advance). Can't say much for the academics either. I'm disappointed with the lack of thorough teaching. If I had a better choice in the area, I would pulled my kids out of that school so fast. I think leadership is key for schools; maybe better leadership? A crackdown on bullying? Maybe some parents could teach their kids some manners? ugh.

This is a great school with highly involved parents. Every day there are parents volunteering throughout the school--not because they have to but because they want to. We have encountered nothing but excellent teachers at this school and the principal is very available for parents and visible throughout the school/involved in everything and a part of the children's educational experience. My children have been challenged academically and had their coursework adjusted in order to challenge them academically at a higher than "average" level. We have no complaints whatsoever about Iron Horse Elementary.

I love this school!! My child has been a student since 2009 and our experience has been wonderful. The teachers are great and caring. On an academic level I have found that the learning programs have been challenging for my child as well.

Last modified Iron Horse Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.