Public charter
Pueblo West, CO

Posted January 21, 2015
This school is amazing. I am very thankful to have 2 children attend the elementary school. Although no school is perfect SCA comes close. Just look at the ratings posted in the pueblo chieftain a few weeks ago!

Swallows Charter Academy 1

Posted September 03, 2014
Went into get enrollment packet at the end of last year for the upcoming 2014-2015 school year. Listened to secretary belittle a child in the office in front of others then talk about the childs home life to other parents. Left the school and will not be placing my children there. They claim they are the best school in district 70...their GS score says otherwise. Glad to be at another local school.

Posted June 24, 2013
This is an AMAZING school with excellent staff! The administration is great! I have attended the school since 6th grade and next year I will be in 11th grade. Many changes have occured with staff and administrations and extra curricular activities, but it didn't detract from the great quality of this school. It is definitely more centered around academics rather than extra curricular activites, but they are availible. I played volleyball, basketball, and track this last year while in student council and I still maintained a 4.0. You have to be willing to work hard, but the knowledge obtained is well worth it. I would reccommened this school 100%! It's amazing! :)

Posted June 06, 2013
My kids have attended Swallows for five years now and I have been very pleased. The elementary teachers are amazing! My kids have LOVED every teacher that they have had the privilege of having at Swallows. My kids are reading at advanced levels and they both have a love for social studies and science because of the great curriculum and teachers. I am so glad that I put my son on the waiting list when he was only two years old. I can't say enough positive things about this school! If you look at the grammar on the April 9th posting you will obviously see that it was not written by a teacher that Swallows would hire. Swallows has "directors" instead of a principal so I am doubting that the review was even written by someone who attends the school.

Swallows Charter Academy 1

Posted April 09, 2013
I am a teacher here and there is way too much religion and politics. If you a teacher or principal and your kids go here, they get all the benifits. I hear trachers say that give kids a hard time because their parents are Democrats, or they believe different from them. This is the worst school in the Pueblo area.

Posted April 09, 2013
My children attend Swallows elementary. We have had a wonderful experience here. Be ready to help your children. It is a tough curriculum. Most elementary schools push reading and math. You will get more than that here. There is an amazing science and history curriculum. Great overall school!

Posted January 31, 2013
I just have to laugh when I read the negative comments. This school is the highest performing school in Southern Colorado. Just look at TCAP scores and compare. Or pick up Monday's newspaper and you will notice this school has the highest graduation rates and the highest ACT scores. This is a school of choice, and requires effort from the parents, which good parents don't mind. Your kid will fail if you are not actively involved. All the complaining on here are from parents that want the State to teach their children for them. The key word here is this is a school of "choice". No one forces you to take your kids there. You probably thought that you could bring your kid over (because it is such a high performing school) and they would fix your issues. It doesn't work that way. You have to be responsible and be involved in your child's education. You can always go back to the crap school you came from. Don't get on here and trash a great opportunity (which is what a school of choice is) if you can't be responsible enough to work with your child. I am tired of teachers and schools getting the blame when kids don't perform well. You are the parent, do your part before you complain.

Posted January 26, 2013
There some posts about the turn over in administration and faculty. While that was true in the past, this is the 3rd year for the present administration. They have done a great job of correcting the problems that came with the turnover and the poor decisions of the past. The school is moving forward with plans to build a new campus. We outscored every other elementary school in the district on TCAP in 2012, including a 100% in 3rd grade reading. Did you catch that? 100%! We offer early college that allows students to receive an AA and a high school diploma at the same (if they are at grade level when they enter the program). Class sizes are smaller than average. We offer vocal music, including choir and musical theater. There are multiple sports with plans to build a gym. Other opportunities include D.I., Brain Bowl, etc. (Both elementary & middle school Brain Bowl teams did well last year.) One of our kids has been there for 7 years and the other for 6. We are very happy with the education they have received. I would suggest dropping by and taking a tour. See what's going on.

Posted December 07, 2012
Our family has been at Swallows for the last 7 years. It is easy for anyone to get on here and trash a great school and I just wanted to say that the administration and the board has really made this school an awesome place for education. For those that complain about teacher and /or administrator turnover I would say as parents, we only get part of the story and turnover is not a bad thing when better teachers and/or administrators get hired. For my family, I prefer a school that has that flexibility (even with any temporary short comings that may come with it) over other schools where it is difficult to get rid of bad teachers and administration. All the testing data for the 2011-2012 school year show that Swallows is the highest performing elementary in the area. While it is true that bringing in more kids in the middle and high school makes the overall scores drop, those that start in the program and continue always out perform their peers from other schools and the ones that come in later end up doing better as well in the long run. If parents participate in their children's education they will be successful at any school. If your child is a good student they will thrive here.

Posted May 21, 2012
We have been very happy with the elementary education our children have been given at Swallows. The teachers are tough, but caring. Same with administration. However, they need to be a little more selective on who they allow into the middle school program...Go Spartans!

Swallows Charter Academy
278 South McCulloch Blvd, Pueblo West, CO  81007
Last modified Swallows Charter Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Swallows Charter Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top