Cedar Ridge Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 423 students

We are best known for commitment to excellence.

Posted February 6, 2014

This school is phenomenal! the parent involvement the teachers that go the extra mile...this school is one is amazing and keeps up with private schools in the academics. the PTO/teachers also has different fun things and activities all the time that keep the kids engaged and looking forward to school.

Posted November 5, 2013

I do have very high standards; the good thing is this school meets and exceeds those standards! I have had 4 children attend the school for the last 8 years. They have received an exceptional education. The school has gone through 3 principals yet the staff remains positive and professional; THEY ALL always put the students 1st!

Posted October 14, 2013

All three of my children have attended Cedar Ridge and I cannot imagine a better learning experience. Our son now in high school has a 4.7 gpa, our daughters are straight A students, and all absolutely love school because of the great start at Cedar Ridge. The most genuinely caring and fun teachers we could imagine, who truly put their students' needs first. Their staff includes former Teacher of the Year winners, and their office staff is simply phenomenal.

Posted March 12, 2013

I must have high standers.. I have two of my kids in this school and I dont find anything wonderful about this school. My oldest is in the fourth grade and since moving to this school he is having a hard time with the teacher. He has always been on the honor roll student as well as advance classes. But when I address this to the school they dont care or try to work with us. My youngest has also had a few struggles and again when they were address we were told its our fault and my childs fault. they dont give the one on one with the students.My daughters teacher pays no attention to her.. On purpose I didnt turn in her reading log and the teacher didnt ask for it or give her any books to read for the last two months. The teachers ignore the students and the parents. we Move every three years and I have four kids. I have had my kids in many elementary school and find this to be the worst. My kids will not be coming back next year. If it takes me driving out of my way their going back to a charter school. They give a more one on one with the students.

Posted January 8, 2012

My children have been attening Cedar Ridge Elementary School since first grade and are now finishing their final years at this fine school. My son went from hating school after an initial poor experience at a private school to never wanting to leave the caring educators at CRE. My daughter has loved the school and staff members from day one and never had a complaint about anyone. CRE's GATE program is one of the best in Dist. 60 and 70. Afterschool programs to stretch the advanced students have made huge strides over the last two years.

Posted September 22, 2011

Cedar Ridge is an incredible school! I only want the best for my two children and I'm proud to say they truly are at the BEST school. The new principal (Mr. King) has done an amazing job! He truly cares about each student and he takes the time to get to know them. The school also has amazing teachers! We are truly blessed to be a part of this school! Thank You Cedar Ridge and Mr. King for being a safe, nurturing and high achieving school! Sincerely~ Bren DeGrado

Posted September 22, 2011

My wife and I have been sending our kids to Cedar Ridge for 5 years. We have consistently been impressed with the school and staff. The teachers are committed to the kids and have good rapport with one another. Our new principal, Mr. King is in his second year at Cedar Ridge. To put it simply, his addition to the staff has made a great school excellent. When the principal and the teachers work together so well as a team, and put their energy and focus on the kids first, it is easy to see. The results have been documented. In the most recent performance tests administered by the state this past year, Cedar Ridge received the highest rating of all Pueblo Schools, both District 60 and District 70, with a percentage score of 81.6%. Those results rank Cedar Ridge as a Performance School, which means, we rate with high performing schools all over Colorado. We couldn t be happier with the excellent education and opportunities provided for our children at Cedar Ridge Elementary School.

Posted September 21, 2011

I have 2 children at CRE and actually moved to be in their area. This school has a new principal that really cares for the kids. They have a wonderful GT program now that focuses on helping the advance kids go above and beyond what other schools offer. I saw on the Colorado Ed. Dept. website that CRE had the most advances scores in the area. I am sorry to all those parents who rated this school 1 star - they should visit the new CRE I think they would love the changes. My 4th grade student is involved in the Friday STEM science club where they dissect fish, create robots, and launch rockets just to name a few activities I haven t seen that at any other Pueblo school. Classes are small; scores are the highest in Pueblo County - including magnet and charter schools. I would not send my kids anywhere else. Thank you Cedar Ridge!

Posted August 27, 2011

This school is Great. My kids have gone to school in Arizona, Texas and the Denver Metro area. This school ranks at the Top of my list. When we relocated from a TOP school district in the Denver area, one of our kids had to actually catch up academically. The principal always displays good leadership, the teachers have nothing but respect for Mr. King and all the students feel he is approachable. The teachers seem to care about the kids and really want them to achieve. Don't judge this school from the lack of money District 70 provides to educate these kids. This school uses the money very effectively and provides the best primary education in the Pueblo area. Ask the locals what school they would send thier kids to and they would say Cedar Ridge Elementary.

Posted July 27, 2010

In some regards I am very happy with Cedar Ridge and in other aspects I am considering pulling my child out this coming school year. I agree with the last comment which states that if a child is advanced, they are ignored. My child got very bored at school last year and when I questioned it I was also told my child was keeping up. As for parent involvement, I think there is much that needs to be done to facilitate more of this. At the beginning of the school year, a list is available for parents to volunteer in the classroom. Unless someone can volunteer everyweek, the teachers don't want help so they use the same 3-4 parents. I think the PTO wants parental involvment, but the meetings are set for times that only work for stay at home moms. As a working mom, that is very disheartening.

Posted April 27, 2010

I am so disappointed in this school. If a child is advanced, they are ignored, and I as a parent am told 'they are 'keeping up' with the other kids, so don't worry', when my kid is actually working far ABOVE grade level. I will be pulling my children from this school next year, after 2 years of frustration and disappointment.

Posted August 20, 2009

CRE is the best school my child wen't to Fs and Ds from D60 now she's As and Bs at CRE

Posted August 18, 2009

cre is the best school in d70 my child has been there since kindergarden and now she is in 4th grade they have been a plsre

Posted April 6, 2009

I am surprised that anyone is not happy with cedar ridge my son is know in 1st grade. He has had awesome teachers throughout his first few years of school whom have helped him develop a love for school which at this point is the most important thing they could do for his future sucess in education

Posted August 28, 2008

I was so disappointed in the Cedar Ridge Elementary school that I enrolled my child into a district 60 school just to get away from district 70. The principal is not really concerned about the children as she should be she is more there to socialize with the PTA and if one of the PTA children do something bad at the school or on the buses it isn't taken care of. I would rather drive my children to a district 60 school were they will learn something than go to a district 70 school.

Posted May 17, 2008

I have been very disappointed with this school. Our child has attended Cedar Ridge for two years. I feel like the school discouarages parent involvement and they have poor communication with the parents. They are seriously lacking in the arts. Other parents that I have spoken with, and I, have witnessed sarcasm and humilation towards the the children from different staff members. If family values, individuality and respect for children are important to you, you should avoid putting your child in district 70. I have learned the hard way that a high score does not make a great school. One positive thing that I can say about Cedar Ridge is that that have a great layout. I like that visitors cannot enter the classrooms without checking in at the office first.

Posted January 31, 2007

I think this is a wonderful school and the teachers are great. I have volunteered in the library for three years and have watched it grow not only in books but in the environment. The kids have several places to choose from to sit down and enjoy a book.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

All Students91%

Students without disabilities76%
Proficient in English70%
Neither migrant nor immigrant69%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 20%N/A41%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Highest Writing Scores in District 70 (2011)
  • Highest School Grade in District 70 (2011)
  • Highest 5th Grade CSAP Scores in Southern Colorado (2011)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Gym

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Mr. Casey King
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Is there an application process?
Fax number

Music
  • Choir / Chorus
  • Instrumental music lessons

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook