Bad
Good

My grandchildren love their school! The teachers are all kind and compassionate and very fair.

Prarie Winds Elementary - We transferred our daughter from a private school and have been very pleased with PWE. Teachers have been great. Teachers are very responsive and have been great with communication. My daughter has loved it and I have no regrets on our decision to move to a public school.

The problem is excessive principal and parent demands that pull attention away from instructing students. The staff is so stressed by building level demands the system is caving in on itself. Very little instruction occurs from January to May. More time is spent assessing students - TCAP, COMAS, Dibles, NWEA than teaching. Teaching time consists of teacher talks" it", kids do "it", send "it" home for parents to work on, move on to the next "it". There is no evidence of teachers checking student work for the purpose of making sure they understand the concepts. No reteaching of concepts, even if the majority of students have trouble with it. There is no time to re-teach. The slightest concern from a special needs parent is reason enough to start a feeding freeze of blame, even between these hard working teachers, while concerns from regular parents or even gifted parents are pushed aside, ignored and minimized. Only loud and unreasonable parents and students are catered to at this school and the outcomes are great for them and bad for all the other students. VERY high staff turnover rate. Every year I am told no one knows who the teachers will be the following year.

the staff is horrible and rude. the secretary is rude, the teachers are rude, and do not really work that well with children who are not from rich families.

I worked in the office at the school. Parent complaints were often not taken serious by the principal. There was repeated issues with one teacher and staff member. There was also a major issue with a parent that had no boundaries. Also bullying problems were a constant complaint. Lots of children are pulled from the school for issues that could have been resolved but because no one keeps track of it no one cares. Please call the district if you have problems with this school or Principal because the school is not going to do anything to help you.

I am the parent of a child with special needs. Prairie Winds has provided our child with a top notch, inclusive education. She has flourished thanks to the phenomenal team of teachers and leadership, therapeutic intervention and overall atmosphere of the school. I cannot praise Prairie Winds enough for the accomplishments I see in my child. Excellent school!

Do not sent your kids here as long as the current Principal is there. A man that eats lunch with his kids was hugging my daughter even after she asked him to stop and the school Principal did nothing. The man admitted to "group hugs' and the school wouldn't do anything at all. I was forced to remove my child because the Principal had zero solutions.

Both my sons are students at this school and I am very happy parents. Everyone in school is so involved and supporting, starting from main office, teachers, to the Principal. I have never seen Principal that is so carying, she is personally involved in every day activities with kids, like ensuring safe pick up. Teachers really care about students, it is not just let them pass the grade, they make them work hard and learn, and they sure are great educators. I feel like part of family and will miss everyone when my boys move to middle school. We are four years with PRE and only great things I have to say about this school.

I can not say enough positive things about this school. My child attended kdg here last year and I was concerned that the short week and half days would not allow for much learning but boy was I wrong. The teachers are focused and dedicated and really made the most of every minute they had to teach. The principal is very involved in the daily activities and was always available to discuss any concerns. She certainly runs a tight ship and so do I. I have high expectations for my children so this was a great school for our family. Very structured, nurturing and just the right amount of discipline and praise. On another note they sometimes take things too seriously but I guess that's an ok trade off for a great education. Don't send latex balloons to school they will be quarientined! : )

I have two children who attend Prairie Winds and am proud of their achievments. I can not say enough about the staff and students. The students enjoy learning as much as the staff enjoys teaching. The after school enrichment programs are designed with the various learning styles in mind. The PTA is very active and involved with both the staff and students. I am utterly amazed at the relationships evident between the students and all staff members. This is a very innovative learning environment! The childrens saftey and education are the main priority of this school.

Last modified Prairie Winds Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.