Pueblo, CO

Corwin International Magnet School 2

Posted August 20, 2015
We chose this school for our gifted and talented child because of the rigorous course work and felt like it would be the ideal school for her to learn and grow. Instead, for TWO YEARS she was incessantly bullied by other students. We brought it to the teachers, counselors, even to the principle and yet the main aggressor was NEVER punished. We were flat out told by school staff, "Well, we aren't going to do anything about it this year. Maybe next year." It's appalling. It got so bad that we ended up having to put our child in outside counseling. Even the therapist said it was not a safe environment and told us we could take legal action if we chose to pursue that avenue. The main bully has a parent that works for the district and I assume that is why he was never punished, even when he took a pencil and stabbed another student. It's a shame too, the academics are good, but if you aren't part of the "ones that started the school" you aren't welcome and they let you know it with there rude behavior. I thought this was just our family that had experienced the lack of empathy for our bullied child, but no. I have talked to SEVERAL parents that had to remove their child from the school because the bullying is accepted and the entire staff just looks the other way. I would not recommend this school to anyone, it's not worth your child's safety.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted August 20, 2015
There is rigorous coursework and for us that was fine. Your student will have at least 2 hours of homework per night.

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted August 20, 2015
Absolutely not. Some of the most respectful children are the ones that are tormented by bullies, which the school does nothing about. They have an anti-bullying policy; however, it is not adhered to.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted August 20, 2015
Bullying is horrid here. It is condoned and not punished in any manner, maybe the aggressor will be talked with but that is all.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted August 20, 2015
If you are not in the elite few, you will not be treated fairly. The children are made aware of it from day one by administration.

Corwin International Magnet School 3

Posted December 06, 2014
Great I have read about it.In January I am going to register my child for the next year

Corwin International Magnet School 5

Posted January 14, 2014
Our school is an International Baccalaureate school. As an authorized IB school, we offer students an education that focuses on being a citizen of the world.

Corwin International Magnet School 5

Posted December 15, 2013
Corwin IMS has been given the CDE's John Irwin Award for Excellence for the school year 12 13. It means for the 3 yr performance framework, the school exceeds in its achievement indicators. This boils down to being in the highest 10% of CO's schools in achievement levels for at least 2 of the 4 scored subject areas of the TCAP (English, Math, Reading, & Science). This is quite an impressive feat indeed for Corwin! Perhaps, I'm more impressed in our gaining this award than our companion award winners, Fountain IMS and The Connect Academy. Fountain is Corwin's feeder school, but it has only 1 grade contributing to its TCAP scores (3rd grade). Corwin has 5 (4th - 8th grades). Think of herding 5 cats to just 1; and 3 of those being middle schoolers, to boot! The Connect Academy really can't fail to have received it (darn near); having only 4% or so of its students receiving Free and Reduced Lunches vs. 44% of Corwin's student receiving likewise. BTW, Educational research suggests there is a strong correlation of a student's achievement to their SES level (indicated by this FRL score). Congrats Corwin Admins, Teachers, and Students on receiving this highly deserved award!!

Corwin International Magnet School 4

Posted August 24, 2012
I am a student at Corwin, and this is my last year there. Well, as far as academics go, this school is five-star rate. The courses are challenging and somewhat fun. But, I will admit Corwin has its problems. Its main problems is they are disorganized! They allow too many kids into the school, making the hallways crowded and difficult to navigate. Some of their rules are ridiculous; I mean, they're all fine and dandy for the littler ones. But in seventh and eighth grade, I believe it would be fair for us to be able to sit by our friends at lunchtime. If you don't have any friends in your advisory, you're out of luck. The students are mostly okay; there's a few who are beastly mean and innapropriate. Most teachers are okay. There seems to be a few who play favorites, and if they do they can be unfair. That is all.

Corwin International Magnet School 4

Posted January 30, 2012
Great academic program. Poor environment to allow young people to grow up. School rules are appropriate for the younger students, but are too strict for older students.

1500 Lakeview Ave, Pueblo, CO  81004
Last modified Corwin International Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades 4-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Corwin International Magnet School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top