Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

This has been repeatedly addressed by others on this page, but bullying is not handled well at the school. My daughter has experienced tremendous amounts of bullying and I worry about her every day that she is at school.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

I do. However, there is an 8th grade science teacher who thinks she's a college professor. She has no business in a middle setting, where students are still trying to develop their love of learning because she makes them feel worthless. She's demeaning, cruel and much too harsh.

This is my 8th, and final, year with students at Century. Overall, I think that Century does a good job of educating our students. The administration is welcoming to opinions and concerns and have always been receptive to my children and my husband and I. My children have thrived academically and the older two were well prepared for their high school experiences. All three of my children are academically gifted and the school provided them with the appropriate challenges and classes to help them grow through honors classes. The issues that we have had at Century are bullying. Our 8th grader has dealt with a lot of bullying issues throughout middle school. While early bullying issues were resolved, this year is a totally different. There has been a groups of children consistently saying degrading things to girls at the school, using sexual words to describe them and groping and sextexting happens on a very regular basis. The school needs do more to stop the bullying before they lose a student.

This is my daughter's 3rd year. I asked if she thinks there's a lot of bullying. She said there are rude kids, but she isn't aware of any real bullying. I feel very so-so / meh with this school. My daughter has had mostly good teachers. This year I'm concerned because her core Science teacher hardly has any graded work. e.g. In December - they only have ONE thing they'll get graded on! It's hard to end up with a good average grade if you only have one assignment. As a parent, I'm irritated by poor and last minute communication. e.g. Most communications that come out are missing information and I have to reply back with questions. Or they send out announcements for things happening that night...like everyone has a wide open schedule and can just show up to something they learned of that day. I hate the grading system (0-8). They can get 8s on assignments, but NOT on a final grade. And the grades don't average out. e.g. 5,5,4,5 doesn't necessarily mean the end grade will be a 5. And yeah, teachers complain about the online system - that "the system" didn't "take" the grade right, or it "lost" entered grades, etc. So there's either an application problem - or a user problem. The principal seems no nonsense to me. I appreciate getting same day communications when there are issues, e.g. safety issues, locker inspections. Once my daughter told me about a substitute that was creeping out the girls, being too touchy-touchy (hands, shoulders). He crossed the line with one of her friends (thigh, I think?). She reported him - and the school police immediately walked him out and the principal sent out a letter. I was proud of the girl who reported him - and glad the administration took swift action. I can't really gauge if the students are learning the right things that will prepare them for college and real life...So - while I can't rave about this school, my daughter's experience seems to be OK (and grateful it was definitely better than my Jr High!).

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

My daughter hasn't personally witnessed or experienced bullying, so my impression is it's under control. It seems like it's mostly good kids at this school.

Supports LD students: Neutral

No experience to have an opinion on this.

Effective school leaders: Neutral

My impression seems to be that the principal keeps a tight rein on things, but I've heard from an administrator at another school that they're not happy campers, lots of staff turnover. Since you can't volunteer in the classrooms in Jr. High like you can in elementary schools, I really can't get a "vibe" on how the staff feels. I was irritated that the principal instituted a dress code (no bare shoulders) one year and tried to pass it off as district code. AND that it did NOT apply to the teachers - they could wear sleeveless and cold shoulder tops...

Develops character: Neutral

I know the IB program is supposed to teach the "whole" student, not just academics. Not sure that really comes across by the teachers day-to-day. Their 8th grade project is all about community service, so they are touting soft skills through that project. The teachers mostly seem to be respectful of the students.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

My daughter has liked most of her teachers overall. Not sure how well they're getting the material across. She's especially struggling with Science in the 8th grade, but not sure if that's her level of interest or the teacher's effectiveness.

Amount of homework: Agree

I like that the teachers allow them to re-do assignments to try to improve their grade. All of my daughter's teachers all three years have told them to come to them if they're struggling, that they'll meet with them during the week (during scheduled times) for extra help.

Last modified Century Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.