Bad
Good

Way too much favoritism amongst the staff and a blatant disregard for parents' concerns. Some staff are untouchable due to who their BFFs are and who they went to high school with. It's like walking into a real like "Mean Girls". Even bullying of your child will be ignored because So- and-so's friend doesn't like you.

My daughter has had nothing short of amazing teachers at this school. She is excited to go everyday and comes home happy. Homework rarely takes more than 15 minutes (except reading - 20 minute/day expectation - not unreasonable) The curriculum is standard. They try to offer challenge work to those who excel. Drop off organization might be the best in the district with two completely separate and non crossing paths. Good after school programs (non school related- like legos and yoga), wish there were a few more options though. BASE is full and difficult to get into as it is in most northern Thornton schools. A good friend had a child with Asperger Syndrome, he did have some challenges that required an IEP and she felt the school could improve on dealing with related behavior issues, as most IEP's are acedemic related, not behavior or social (They have since moved out of state and feel the accomodations are better currently, but had no other complaints) Over all I woud recommend this school to most anyone.

After reading the previous review from a parent, I feel compelled to write my own. I was a staff member at the school previously and have seen how the administration influence the school culture. From my observations, the administration focus on appearance (from test scores to what the teachers wear each day) above all else. There are high expectations for the staff and, to a certain degree, for the parents and students. The culture in the school is incredibly judgmental; if you are deemed at any point not to live up to the set standard, you had better hope that you have an influential friend that is a parent or staff member within the school or district. That said, some of the most incredible teachers I have ever met work at Silver Creek. There are many teachers that enjoy their roles as educators and that truly care about their students. I felt that the principal had good ideals, but did not step up to the plate enough to actually follow through on them. From my observations, the Assistant Principal tended to be unpredictable and sometimes harsh. I witnessed him going from friendly to confrontational with one of my co-workers after a minor complaint was noted against them.

What are the requirments of this school enrollment? If we are moving around this school area, can my kids choose this school?

My son had trouble with reading, they made it seem like he was the worst kid to walk the face of the earth. The Asst Principal let me know he could decide to not let us return when the semester was over because of my sons tardiness. (Even though I let the teacher know before he started that I had another child attending school with the same start time 10 miles away, and he was maybe a couple minutes late a couple times a week.) When he talked to me about this he was rude and abrasive, I couldn't believe I was being bullied by an asst principal of an elementary school! After this conversation my sons teacher immediately started treating me differently she once was kind with open communication and then turned cold and short, this really made me wonder how my son was being treated in class. We of course pulled him from this dreadful place. I feel like I was targeted because my son had trouble with reading and they didn't want to deal with him because of their precious test scores and they didn't have to because we were choiced in, they were going to find any reason and create ones if necessary to make sure we didn't return. Last time I checked this was discrimination! Not impressed!

From an insider whose child has attended the school... 1st grader who is afraid to wear shoes with laces to school because his teacher berates him whenever he cannot tie them independently - CHECK Teachers who are so over-stressed that they leave the school in tears at least 25% of the time-CHECK Administration who violates student rights so they can leave by 3:30pm (especially by "Junior" Admin) - CHECK Staff that has tendency to throw one another under the bus vs. actually acknowledge parent concerns or requests -CHECK All that said... There are some incredible teachers at SCES. Why they stick around such a place I am not sure, but I am glad they were there for the benefit of my child. To you incredible teachers, I give you kudos and my genuine thanks! The main drawback I have discovered (via talking with my child and other parents of SCES kids) is the installation of a culture of neurosis; making every child fear that they don't have the right answer on a test or cannot catch up with the performance of their peers. Personally (and I am not afraid to be blunt), I feel that this has cost me hundreds of dollars in mental therapy bills, but that is just one opinion...

Silver Creek is a wonderful school. They have a dedicated Principal and set of teachers, they always put the students first. They are visionaries trying to always find the newest technology and programs to assist with the learning of all the students no matter what level they are on, The parents are very involved with the school and the teachers appreciate it . I disagree with previous comments I have always found the front office to be very helpful

I love the sense of community at Silver Creek. Teachers, staff, and administration are exceptional. I've been especially pleased with the care taken to tailor the instruction to each student's needs. I've also been particularly pleased with the specials classes and quality. I feel my student is getting a very well-rounded education.

great school. both my kids love it. very caring staff and teachers. great extra curricular activities available for students.

The school is Amazing! The Principal, Asst. Principal & Teachers are bar none, THE Best in the DIstrict!! Thanks for all you Amazing Efforts!!

Last modified Silver Creek Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.