Westgate Charter School

Charter | K-8 | 213 students

Sweep tile

Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2014

We have been at Westgate for several years and my child has had an outstanding experience. He is a gifted student who was an underachiever his other school and his scores on both the state assessments and MAP tests have improved every year. He is surrounded by students and teachers who care about him as a person and know who he is. From administration to the front office, the adults model kindness and compassion. I've spent many hours volunteering over the years and so I know what goes on inside the building. I have never met a more dedicated or hardworking staff. A few of the negative comments are specific enough to identify the authors; I know a few things about some of the situations and I wish the school, teachers, and administration could tell you their side of the story. Schools that do things differently are a blessing to their communities. We plan to be at Westgate for many years to come and know that no school is perfect. We still believe in the vision, we believe in the staff, and we watch our child receive the same support from the school. I wish the negatives (parents and staff alike) would be and let be. Talk to the happy people.

Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I was very disappointed with the application process. Once we received a seat offer the administration were very standoffish and unpleasant. I tried for over a month to visit the school, but the school visits were never scheduled on the site and the administration refused unscheduled visits. I tried to schedule a day visit for my child to shadow a student, frst they didn't allow visits above a certain grade, then they didn't allow visits below a certain grade. This was after my child was told that she could have a visit. I pressed the issue and the administrator finally set up a visit. Then I wanted to discuss my daughters medical situation with the teacher prior to the start of the school day. The administrator ushered me out of the building, was very short with me, and refused to listen to me talk about her medical needs. Then I received a very curt e-mail from the administrator scolding me for talking to a teacher during school hours. I was never told that this was a rule. Why don't they want me to visit the building? What are they hiding? Why are parents kept at the front door and never allowed past the front desk? My children will not be attending this school.

Posted March 25, 2014

We love this school! Our youngest has been here for 5 years, eldest joined the school 2 years ago. We knew that we wanted to find a place that would allow our youngest child to be able to learn to love school. He's a divergent learner and gifted. Perfect place for him and his older brother loves it as well. Older brother did seven years in another gifted school and decided that he wanted more diversity in the student body. Older child is a more traditional gifted child and says that this school has provided him a different way of learning that has rounded out the other more curriculum-based and rubric based style. Has taught him to think outside of the box and creative approaches to problem solving that weren't presented in his other gifted school. We love that encourages children to develop their own time management skills and gives them power over project management. Could be scary for parents who are used to a more linear and rubric based education. We feel this educational environment is definitely preparing our children for young adulthood more effectively than traditional schools, the bonus being that they are learning a lot and having fun along the way.

Posted March 24, 2014

My husband and I are huge supporters of Westgate. We have two gifted children enrolled. The teaching staff are truly the best at what they do. Our children come out to the car each day bursting to share what they did in their classes. It's wonderful to hear their excitement and see their love of learning grow.

Posted March 22, 2014

I love teaching at Westgate. It is my dream job. The kids are so smart. They amaze me every single day. My fellow teachers are dedicated and hard working. We get to be creative and plan together which never happened in the schools I used to teach in. It feeds our spirits to work cooperatively which makes for great learning in the classrooms. The administration is always there for us. Any time you have a question, they stop whatever they are doing and listen. I couldn't ask for more. Westgate is a happy place to be for teachers and students.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 21, 2014

This is a great school that understands what creatively gifted kids need. Our child is allowed to investigate her passions and learn topics in a meaningful way. I have never noticed a dirty building - and I volunteer every week. All progress reports are available to us online and we had our 3rd round of conferences this week. We know exactly how our child is doing and we couldn't be more pleased with our child's growth.

Posted March 21, 2014

Our family has been at Westgate for 4 years and every year it gets better. Our oldest couldn't find his place in a big school. Westgate's small classes were perfect for him. Our middle child would have been fine anywhere and it's been a great match for her too. They both have great friends who think like they do. It's great to see them grow in a community of gifted peers. (And, the no homework policy is a blessing for our home - no arguing at the dinner table.) We can't wait for our little one to start kindergarten next year. We believe 100% in the mission of Westgate.

Posted March 21, 2014

Our kids love school! Thank you Westgate! We transferred in after out 1st grader started to hate school and wanted to quit. There are no more tears after school. 2nd grade has been a new awakening for us. This is what a school should be for gifted kids.

Posted March 19, 2014

The school is unorganized and the classrooms are chaotic. The teachers are not treated well and do not have the resources they need. The building is old and not kept clean. Depending on the teachers, students and parent volunteers to clean it is just not working. A janitor needs to be hired. Testing results and progress reports are not available in a timely manner. We moved our child to another school in February and had not received any progress reports at all this school year. Unbelievable considering school started in early August. Do your research before enrolling your child at this school.

Posted March 19, 2014

I had concerns and problems at Westgate that they would never addressed so I had to move my children mid year. I was concerned about all the same things that other parents have posted. Do the classrooms have supplies and the resources they needed, where was my money going that I had given the school, are the teachers being supported, and why were so many teachers leaving? I was unhappy with the way they handled people leaving. Not acknowledging it, no warnings, and no goodbyes. I was concerned how this constant instability and change was effecting my children. I tried to address my concerns with Westgate, I sent emails that were never returned, I attended meeting, asked questions, tried to be heard but all I ever got was shut down or no answers at all. I had no voice as a parent at Westgate. Now that I am at our local school I have come to realize the magnitude of the lack of resources Westgate gave my children. I have spent an enormous amount of time and money getting these resources outside of school because they were not getting them consistently at Westgate. I do love the teachers at this school but I do not think they are getting the extra support they need.

Posted March 17, 2014

Couldn't be happier with a school. It's the right place for our child. The teachers are great. My child has grown leaps and bounds this year. He loves his school. I don't see any of the problems others have expressed. We have had nothing but positive interactions with everyone from the front desk lady to the Executive Director. Thank you, Westgate.

Posted March 13, 2014

We took our son out of this school mid-year. We were so hopeful that our TAG/ADHD son would thrive there, but the experience was so different than what was initially represented. Our son needs at least some structure, and and teachers that stick around. I think with a different director, this school has a chance. The way it stands, I don't see it surviving very long. Before you consider this school, talk to other parents (and make sure they're not employed by the school).

Posted March 13, 2014

This school started off with a great concept but the Executive Director, while a good visionary, is a terrible leader of her staff and is completely unwilling to have meaninful dialogue with parents about their concerns. We are just one of many families that will be leaving at the end of this year. This school will likely not be in existence in another year or two due to families and staff leaving in droves which will lead to cuts in funding.

Posted March 13, 2014

My child is in their third year at Westgate and has grown each year. We love the teaching and creative work that he does in classes. We have seen better communication this year and we are behind the school 100%. We are not going anywhere! We can't wait for him to be able to go to high school here so he can attend college, as well.

Posted March 13, 2014

So happy we came to Westgate! It was the right choice for our child. We have been nothing but impressed with the teachers and staff. Our child loves school and who can argue with that?

Posted March 13, 2014

I'm a grandparent and volunteer at Westgate every month. This is an amazing school - nothing like anything I've seen before. It's a great community and the kids are so smart! So happy they welcome me in.

Posted March 11, 2014

I love this school! We couldn't be happier to be a member of this community! Happy kids. Great Teachers. Wonderful friends.

Posted March 1, 2014

This is my son's second year at Westgate. He was stifled at other schools frequently getting into trouble for talking or making others laugh because he was bored with the curriculum. He had been to 3 schools previously and they wouldn't/couldn't differentiate for him. However, at Westgate, my son has grown leaps and bounds in his work performance. He has the opportunity to participate in higher level thinking in science, social studies, language arts, and math! He does meaningful and relevant work at school and loves it. The teachers have done a wonderful job in developing my son academically, socially, and emotionally. He has grown as a learner and human being. The teachers and administration have always treated my son with fairness, compassion, and with his best interests at heart. My son hated school, but now he looks forward to go back every day. I am sad for the parents (students?) who have not had a good experience at Westgate. I am not sure what happened. All I know is that my son is thriving, and we couldn't be happier!

Posted February 12, 2014

If I could give this school "0" stars, I would. First and foremost, my son's TCAP's fell in every category by over 100 points in the two years he was at Westgate - he was often miserable and isolated. Leadership is punitive and mean spirited, and their communication with parents is non-existent (ask other parents if you must). Teacher/student turnover is enormous, and special education services are kept to a minimum and/or non-existent.

Posted February 12, 2014

I wish that I never heard about this school. My child has lost learning across the board. There is a lack of information shared with parents: lack of timely report cards and testing results along with mixed messages from the administration (if any at all). The administration throws their own teachers under the bus. Children aren't learning basic skills and there is so little support staff for the many children who need help. This school claims to cater to kids who are gifted and alternative learners, yet the staff doesn't seem to know how to meet the needs of these types of children. I will be sending my child to another school in the fall.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

All Students80%

Students without disabilities83%
Proficient in English75%
Neither migrant nor immigrant77%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian 2% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 1%N/A40%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

12500 Washington