Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (10 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (3 responses)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted June 21, 2016
Mr. Kennedy is an amazing teacher that inspires my son greatly. He also proactively reaches out and helps the school with adding extra enrichment beyond the normal call of a teach, such as forming and running the disc golf club.

Posted June 21, 2016
After my son being with Westgate Community School for awhile, there is one thing, though it might seem small, that has touched me the most about this school. Though my son falls into the standard gifted categories; my father, my brother, and I fall into the twice exceptional category. I see kids with apparent disabilities to non-apparent ones, being treated with the same respect as any other gifted child. I am sure many take this for granted since this is the normal at this school. Coming from the other side, the amount of discrimination, harassment, and closed doors to twice exceptional gifted people is appalling. I’ve seen it in the education system, from administration, from the “high” IQ societies, from grants, and much more. But Westgate looks beyond the child’s limitation and allows them to flourish. The brain of a gifted person is amazing and can overcome obstacles that a normal person could never overcome, making the twice exceptional look just as an average person. For this amazing, truly a real revolutionary, but the ethical and correct treatment of these twice exceptional children, I have to thank the school from the bottom of my heart. Yes, my son could have gone to any gifted school we wanted him to go to, but I would never have a second doubt placing him in this school that will treat all gifted kids equally, as being gifted.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted May 22, 2016
Studies consistently show homework does not correlate to acedemic growth or retainment. Westgate's approach is in line with modern approaches.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted May 22, 2016
You can see an anti bullying and pro empathy through visual messaging throughout the school.

Posted May 22, 2016
We have not officially started yet, but the admin has been transparent from the original tour through enrollment. We were invited to their school fundraiser carnival and we were impressed at their parent community and their commitment to raising funds for Westgate. We are excited to join a school that does not shame children through discipline charts and instead involves children in problem solving.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted March 04, 2016
I'm so grateful for all the staff at Westgate, they care about my kids in every way!

Posted March 04, 2016
We have attended Westgate for 5 years, and absolutely love it. My kids get what they need from educational support to emotional support. The admin and staff are amazing!! WE love Westgate. I would like to post about the comments below being false. There are not numerous people leaving Westgate. We had one teacher leave. (its not our business to know why!!) and the admin, they both left for personal reasons, not because of our principal. And by the way she is licensed!!You can find her license on the CDE website .

Westgate Community School 2

Posted February 28, 2016
Members of the administration and teaching staff have been disappearing at an alarming rate and I think that it's because of the principal. The school is supposed to be for gifted students but there seem to be far too many that aren't even at grade level in many subjects. Recently I learned that our principal isn't even licensed. I have asked for information about what is going on with our school, but get nowhere.

Posted November 24, 2015
Westgate has been an excellent match for my children. I love that the school has needs based learning so that my children can learn and grow based on how they are performing. If they are exceeding grade level in a subject, there is no cap as to how far above grade level they can work. There are groups for all levels and skills. My children are challenged and I love that.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted November 24, 2015
There is no homework at this school unless something is not completed in class. This is done because studies consistently show homework does not increase learning--but does increase stress at home. Plus, since the work does not come home, there is no temptation from parents to overly interfere or take over.

12500 Washington St., Thornton, CO  80241
Last modified Westgate Community School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.