Public charter
Thornton, CO

Posted August 20, 2015
This is our fifth year at Westgate and we love our school. I volunteer on a weekly basis and love that I can be a part at the school.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 11, 2015
No homework K-8! We finally have time as a family again! The work they do in the class is hand-on and meaningful. They only bring home what they didn't get done after working together in class and the teacher sends an email to let us know it's coming!

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted August 11, 2015
This school participates in Random Acts of Kindness which has taught our children about caring for others and putting themselves in other people's shoes.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 11, 2015
Community building is at the heart of this school. Our kids know right from wrong and have a strong sense of justice.

Posted August 11, 2015
What a great start to the school year! We are so pleased with the organization and communication. Our kids have been Westgate students for the past 3 years and we can't wait to see all that happens this year! The school is growing. The new teachers seem amazing and we couldn't be happier! Our kids grow each year. This is an amazing school. It breaks my heart to read untrue things on this website. The school is not out of compliance with the district.This worried me so I called the district. I just spoke to the charter liaison who told me this is untrue.I guess some people just have too much time on their hands! come to Westgate. Your kids will thank you!

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted August 03, 2015
I don't know why Westgate hasn't had their charter pulled. They are consistently violation with the district's policies. Westgate spends so much time defending why they are in violation its ridiculous. This school really is a huge educational debacle. Run, don't even let the staff sell you on this place.

Posted February 05, 2015
I don't even know where to start. If I could give 0 stars I would. We left this school last year mid year because we were afraid if we waited longer our daughter would fall behind more. This school has NO curriculum, no reading, math, writing or spelling programs. The teachers are left with no guidance from administration to create their own curriculum. This leaves children either with huge gaps in their education or relearning things 3 and 4 times. There is no vertical teaming so my daughter learned the same exact things in first grade and kindergarten math. After 6 months I began to question some of the teaching practices and received no answers or communication at all from the administration. In fact the director told several parents that when she gets too many emails she just deletes them. Ms. Johnston makes it impossible to get answers about your child's education. Even though Westgate is a school for twice exceptional children they refuse to write ALPs for gifted children even though by law they have to. This school is unfriendly and unwelcoming. Many children fall behind after a few years being here. Don't enroll your children here.

Posted January 14, 2015
We are requesting Great Schools remove this post because it is factually untrue. This parent knows her son received a full semester of credit including two gauranteed transfer college courses (6 hours). All high school students, including her son, recieved full credit for all of the courses they passed. She recieved her son's transcript earlier the time alloted by the district. Although she wanted it immediately, this is not always possible. We are not in violation of district policies and work closely with Adams 12. Our access to Early College is an excellent choice for advanced, hard-working students. This paren'ts experience is hers alone and does not speak to the majority experience at Westgate Community School. The majority of our high school students are well ahead in high school credits as compared to typical high schools and many will earn an Associates Degree upon high school graduation. It may not have been the right fit for her.

Posted January 14, 2015
The school spends so much time trying to defend their violations and refusal to cooperate with the district. The statement below is an example. It is too bad they do not focus more on instruction, professional development to support teachers with the very demanding needs of twice exceptional children and more productive and positive efforts. Instead, the administration is in constant defense mode defending their inept to run a school.

Posted January 13, 2015
The school has been in violation of district policies for several years and they have had plenty of opportunity to correct the violations. The district has generously reached out to them many times to offer assistance including yesterday while my son and I sat in the counseling office of another high school waiting for them to "release" him from their computer system. They could not do this simple task because his grades, courses or attendance were not entered into the system for the semester he spent at Westgate. Westgate does not have most of their courses approved by the district or state, so my son will not receive a grade or credit for 5 of the classes he completed and he is now out of contention for many scholarships. The worst thing is that they do not accept responsibility for their shortcomings, instead they make excuses and blame others (including the district who has been MORE than helpful). The executive team at the school are smart and wonderful people with a true love for the students enrolled at Westgate, but they do not have the administrative skills to run the school. This leaves many students with issues they do not deserve.

12500 Washington St., Thornton, CO  80241
Last modified Westgate Community School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westgate Community School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 109 reviews. Top