Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted July 23, 2016
Ms. Crosswhite and the principal are always smiling and easy to approach. Ms. Crosswhite loves her job and the kids love her!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 23, 2016
Maybe a little too much work for younger students but just right for the older ones.

Douglass Valley Elementary School 4

Posted July 23, 2016
My kids have been to a number of schools due to moving frequently. This school has by far been the best. The only complaint I would have is the age and appearance of the school but I would take an aged school with personable staff who are not quick to judge and who don't care about who is who any day over a new school with the opposite. I am a highly educated parent with a higher income. My family provides structure for our children and we consider ourselves pretty classy. We are picky about who we and our children associate with. We have some children with special needs. We have always picked schools for the upscale neighborhoods and types of people we would want to associate with but have had bad experiences with teachers because they did not want to put the time in to deal with a special needs child and/or like one of my children - a child with poor social skills/awkwardness. Then we found DVE. They, with the exception of maybe one teacher, have got it when it comes to our kids. They don't treat us like we are the problem (because that could not be further from the truth) and they do not treat my child like he is can control something that he cannot. They get boys for being boys. They don't have to sit still for hours on end and be called to the principal's office for fidgeting or annoying a teacher who expects silence. At the same time they have called me a time or two to inform me when another child was being inappropriate to my child. Of the teachers we have had so far I would have to brag about Ms. Crosswhite - talk about a teacher with a passion for teaching and children. I don't think there was ever a day she did not have a smile on her face. She has such high energy which is a must for kindergarten children. She gets that they are little and little balls of energy and that it is normal to be this way at their age. I won't bash on the teacher we had who I would not recommend but I will say that if that's as bad as it gets at this school then it's pretty good. Also, my kids were initially enrolled in an off base D20 school because I wanted them close to home and in a nicer, newer school. That school was IB. It was a terrible experience and I was so glad to leave. The teachers had no patience for special needs or children who did not fit the mold. I was worried about the academics at DVE but they were the same as the other school off base.

Douglass Valley Elementary School 2

Posted January 09, 2016
The teachers, like many of the other families on a military base, are just passing through. For many of the teachers this is just a first stop after they've graduated college, and our children are the unfortunate test subjects. It's not just the teachers that are the problem. There are a great number of immature house wives and husbands who contribute to the poor atmosphere around the school. If you've ever lived in an established community off base with mature responsible parent's and experienced teachers, this school will be a joke. The blind leading the blind. Children teaching children.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted July 09, 2015
This isn't the best school. The living conditions and the quality of service from forest city reflects the quality of school. My child has been both a victim of bullying as well as become a bully at this school. (Until I put an end to that by having to be in the school doing the staffs job) Because the teachers are, themselves, children fresh out of college who don't make the kids accountable for their actions. I've witnessed teachers grouped together on the playground, literally playing with a ball or a frizbee amongst themselves and completely ignoring the children. Ive spoken to the counselor on a few occasions about complaints from my child. It was then I learned my child became agressive after having to deal with disputes themselves because the staff was apathetic. No one came and told me my child was misbehaving until I dug in and contacted them. I know for a fact that the other children are still misbehaving because other parents aren't notified. The counselor herself told me of children who were constantly causing trouble yet the parents aren't ever notified. The only consequences seem to be a contest of who is a closer friend to the immature teacher. Who can make them have a good day. However, you can't blame the staff. The entire living conditions and family life on this base is garbage. I got out of the airforce years ago and my wife is soon to retire. And this is the worst base for families ive ever loved on. This base exsists to accommodate cadets. The rest of us are taking up space, and arent considered worthy of any kind of 'quality'. If you find this school anything more than substandard or any better than hardly axceptable, then you are probably young and innocent and may be contributing to the problem. Learn how to park and stop wasting time chit chatting standing or parking in everyone's way. As far as the curriculum, it's just generic state wide worksheet stuff. The only time the school seems to worry about how the students are doing is when it's time for the state tests that have nothing to do with the child's grade but more like the 'schools grade'. If i could afford to have my kids in another school I would. So in my opinion this school is like a mix between a factory and a hen house. It's a government instillation like the dmv. Quality and service isn't paramount. Too bad the kids suffer most.

Douglass Valley Elementary School 5

Posted April 29, 2014
We love Douglass Valley! My girls started there when we moved to the AFA in January 2013. Even coming in in the middle of the year, they still felt welcome and the their teachers really helped them adjust and get their bearings. The teachers we have had have been WONDERFUL and they certainly do communicate with me via e-mail, notes sent home, chats at dismissal, or over the phone. The office staff is friendly and accommodating. My oldest struggles with a severe reading delay and is receiving ample extra help in that area. Everyone at the school truly wants the kids to succeed. We are considering moving off of the AFA now that we're a little more familiar with the area but I am really struggling with it because I would love for my children to remain at DVE!

Douglass Valley Elementary School 5

Posted April 29, 2013
DVE is a great school. I am not sure why the previous posters have had so many problems and negative experiences. I have three children in the school and one of them has been attending for three years. We have had a great experience with this school, even being contacted by the teacher when one of my children needed additional help with some of her work. Having seen the schooling available in other states, I would have to say this is one of the best.

Posted January 29, 2013
I would have to agree 100% with the last post. Just because this school is on base does NOT mean it is a great school. I too will choice my children into another school next year. They are not challenged at this school academically. There is absolutely no parent teacher communication. The principal will not return emails. There is a teacher that will not punish the handful of students causing problems, but instead make the entire 2nd grade class run 3-5 laps around the playground. This happens more than once every week. They also have no organization when it comes to the pick-up and drop-off area. In fact I was told there was only a drop off area only in the morning. Apparently in the afternoon you are required to park your car. Then you have to walk to pick up your child from the playground area. Never have I been to a school without a designated pick-up and drop-off area (car rider line).

Posted July 10, 2012
This is one of the worst schools my children have ever experienced. We started out the yr with my son need additional help in reading and language, they ingorned records from the previous school. The teacher ignored my requested 5 times to have my son tested and finally I had to go to the specialist myself and finally in Feb (3 months before the school yr ended) they decided he really needed the help. Too late for anything to do any good. The teachers are completely out for themselves and the staff is very inconsiderate. They do have a good deployment support but that about all this school has going for it. We as parents have a choice of where in D20 to send them and my children (all 3 of them) will NOT be returning to this place. The principal and assistants are very disrespectful and do not care. I would urge anyone to not have to learn the hard way like I have. We moved off base and am at a good D20 school where the teachers want to be there and are thinking of the kids and their futures. This is just a bad school in the midst of good D20 schools.

Posted November 21, 2011
Had my kids here for one year and it was one too many. The administration at this school is unbelievable. I was yelled at by office staff on more than one occasion. The administration ties the hands of the teachers that care about the students and the other portion of the staff just doesn't care and I had students from K - 5. I had to teach my oldest how to multiply and divide again when we pulled them from the school.

4610 East Douglass Drive, U.S. Air Force Academy, CO  80840
Last modified Douglass Valley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.