Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

I am not sure how others have expressed such a poor opinion. DVE is GREAT! I have 4 children and am a teacher myself. I found the staff to be friendly, the resources are abundant and readily available to all those who need them. My children have had occasion to eat school lunch and were offered real food and a full salad bar. Parent/teacher communication is EXCELLENT! If I had to say something bad about DVE, I would say the playground needs updating.

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

My children have not been bullied and therefore i can only assume this school has done an excellent job in this arena

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

I have a struggling student (lower student expectations at last duty station) and the resources and opportunities here never cease to amaze me.

Effective school leaders: Agree

I have enjoyed all of the interaction with both the fabulous office staff like Mrs.Garcia who is as sweet as can be, to Mrs.Farmer who enables her teachers to reach their potential and assists students in doing the same.

Develops character: Neutral

This isn't the schools responsibility. Children should be learning this at home and having it re-enforced at school. As reinforcement for quality parenting I believe this school is an excellent choice.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Teachers at this school are excellent. They are hard working and excellent communicators. I have read reviews of others and wonder if parents are in denial of what the problem in a classroom really is.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

My children have homework that is spread out over the week. If we are in an area that is "easy" he/she can work ahead and be homework free for the week, however if we are in an area in which he/she is struggling then we have the week as well as the weekend to really dig in and learn a new topic.

Amount of homework: Agree

Maybe a little too much work for younger students but just right for the older ones.

My kids have been to a number of schools due to moving frequently. This school has by far been the best. The only complaint I would have is the age and appearance of the school but I would take an aged school with personable staff who are not quick to judge and who don't care about who is who any day over a new school with the opposite. I am a highly educated parent with a higher income. My family provides structure for our children and we consider ourselves pretty classy. We are picky about who we and our children associate with. We have some children with special needs. We have always picked schools for the upscale neighborhoods and types of people we would want to associate with but have had bad experiences with teachers because they did not want to put the time in to deal with a special needs child and/or like one of my children - a child with poor social skills/awkwardness. Then we found DVE. They, with the exception of maybe one teacher, have got it when it comes to our kids. They don't treat us like we are the problem (because that could not be further from the truth) and they do not treat my child like he is can control something that he cannot. They get boys for being boys. They don't have to sit still for hours on end and be called to the principal's office for fidgeting or annoying a teacher who expects silence. At the same time they have called me a time or two to inform me when another child was being inappropriate to my child. Of the teachers we have had so far I would have to brag about Ms. Crosswhite - talk about a teacher with a passion for teaching and children. I don't think there was ever a day she did not have a smile on her face. She has such high energy which is a must for kindergarten children. She gets that they are little and little balls of energy and that it is normal to be this way at their age. I won't bash on the teacher we had who I would not recommend but I will say that if that's as bad as it gets at this school then it's pretty good. Also, my kids were initially enrolled in an off base D20 school because I wanted them close to home and in a nicer, newer school. That school was IB. It was a terrible experience and I was so glad to leave. The teachers had no patience for special needs or children who did not fit the mold. I was worried about the academics at DVE but they were the same as the other school off base.

The teachers, like many of the other families on a military base, are just passing through. For many of the teachers this is just a first stop after they've graduated college, and our children are the unfortunate test subjects. It's not just the teachers that are the problem. There are a great number of immature house wives and husbands who contribute to the poor atmosphere around the school. If you've ever lived in an established community off base with mature responsible parent's and experienced teachers, this school will be a joke. The blind leading the blind. Children teaching children.

Last modified Douglass Valley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.