Usaf Academy, CO

Posted April 29, 2014
We love Douglass Valley! My girls started there when we moved to the AFA in January 2013. Even coming in in the middle of the year, they still felt welcome and the their teachers really helped them adjust and get their bearings. The teachers we have had have been WONDERFUL and they certainly do communicate with me via e-mail, notes sent home, chats at dismissal, or over the phone. The office staff is friendly and accommodating. My oldest struggles with a severe reading delay and is receiving ample extra help in that area. Everyone at the school truly wants the kids to succeed. We are considering moving off of the AFA now that we're a little more familiar with the area but I am really struggling with it because I would love for my children to remain at DVE!

Posted April 29, 2013
DVE is a great school. I am not sure why the previous posters have had so many problems and negative experiences. I have three children in the school and one of them has been attending for three years. We have had a great experience with this school, even being contacted by the teacher when one of my children needed additional help with some of her work. Having seen the schooling available in other states, I would have to say this is one of the best.

Posted January 29, 2013
I would have to agree 100% with the last post. Just because this school is on base does NOT mean it is a great school. I too will choice my children into another school next year. They are not challenged at this school academically. There is absolutely no parent teacher communication. The principal will not return emails. There is a teacher that will not punish the handful of students causing problems, but instead make the entire 2nd grade class run 3-5 laps around the playground. This happens more than once every week. They also have no organization when it comes to the pick-up and drop-off area. In fact I was told there was only a drop off area only in the morning. Apparently in the afternoon you are required to park your car. Then you have to walk to pick up your child from the playground area. Never have I been to a school without a designated pick-up and drop-off area (car rider line).

Posted July 10, 2012
This is one of the worst schools my children have ever experienced. We started out the yr with my son need additional help in reading and language, they ingorned records from the previous school. The teacher ignored my requested 5 times to have my son tested and finally I had to go to the specialist myself and finally in Feb (3 months before the school yr ended) they decided he really needed the help. Too late for anything to do any good. The teachers are completely out for themselves and the staff is very inconsiderate. They do have a good deployment support but that about all this school has going for it. We as parents have a choice of where in D20 to send them and my children (all 3 of them) will NOT be returning to this place. The principal and assistants are very disrespectful and do not care. I would urge anyone to not have to learn the hard way like I have. We moved off base and am at a good D20 school where the teachers want to be there and are thinking of the kids and their futures. This is just a bad school in the midst of good D20 schools.

Posted November 21, 2011
Had my kids here for one year and it was one too many. The administration at this school is unbelievable. I was yelled at by office staff on more than one occasion. The administration ties the hands of the teachers that care about the students and the other portion of the staff just doesn't care and I had students from K - 5. I had to teach my oldest how to multiply and divide again when we pulled them from the school.

Posted July 24, 2011
Don't believe everything you here! My child had the time of their life last school year in 3rd grade. The teacher she had was very caring, worked hard, and always took time out of his day. I absolutely loved whn I would get a random phone call explaining the positive things my child was doing in class. Yeah, my child did have a lot of work to do but goals were set but my child came a long ways with her academics! Great work Douglass Valley!

Douglass Valley Elementary School 3

Posted May 19, 2011
I found this school to be only adequate for my 3rd grader. While I feel the principal and vice-principal provide positive professional leadership (and are genuinely looking to the best interest of students), I did not feel the caliber of teachers (that I frequently encountered) performed accordingly in their ability to interact positively as role models and trained educators. I would have liked to have seen more of the characteristics of the principal/v.p. (both awesome) trickle down through the teachers. However, my son gave rave reviews of the TAG teacher and Art teacher, both of whom serve as great role models and truly love the students. Another positive is the support provided to students of deployed service members - truly outstanding! In my experience there were often gaps in critical communication which led to some safety concerns and even missed events. The academics seem positive although there is a high reliance on worksheets rather than hands-on learning which did become monotonous to my student. Overall, my son did feel safe in this school but did not feel this was his best school experience yet.

Posted February 05, 2011
Douglass Valley is a wonderful school! We provide the best support for military families I've ever seen or heard of ( I was a military kid who moved many times and a military spouse) . The PTO provides bags of goodies for kids when a parent deploys, we have a group that meets weekly during school hours, we have a "Wall of Honor" where pictures of deployed parent are posted during their absence. Also, the school has a full-time counselor (sometimes 2 people part-time fill this role). The reading support is exceptional with 2 full-time reading specialist in addition to the classroom teachers. Our goal is to make your child's time with us the best years of school they have anywhere.

Posted January 28, 2010
I can't say enough good things about Douglass Valley. From the principal to the teachers and parent volunteers, everything is top notch. My daughter attended the school for two years and I knew when she left that she got the best education possible. It was hard to find a school where we moved that I felt that was even close to Douglass Valley.

Douglass Valley Elementary School 2

Posted May 26, 2009
Very Disappointed. This school seems to forget that they serve a military installation and that children will come and go all year. No one ever explained 'the rules' to my 8 year old. He was in school 5 months before he knew how to take a book out of the library. The teacher told me 'He's afraid to ask questions.' That is new to this school. He had no issues in Massachusetts. The teacher would also call attention to him in class because she didn't like the snacks he brought. So what's wrong with a homemade cookie?Only fruit was good for the teacher. Good CSAP Scores for 3rd grade reading, but they stopped teaching Social Studies and Science for the last 3 months, to focus on CSAP. To me that is not a good representation of what the children learn on a regular basis.

Douglass Valley Elementary School
4610 Douglass Dr, Usaf Academy, CO  80840
Last modified Douglass Valley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Douglass Valley Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top