Academy Of Charter Schools

Charter | PK-12

Posted October 21, 2011

The high school is fantastic. My son had to transfer in as a senior and was warmly welcomed by students and staff. Every room has a SMART board. The teachers seem to meet the kids where they are at. I am impressed. The football program is TOP NOTCH and highly recommended. Have not had any problems with dress code, high schoolers don't wear uniforms, but normal dress seems fine. I highly recommend, especially high school. The teachers WANT you to go to college. The parents are fantastic.

Posted September 7, 2011

My son just started going to this school and so far I am very impressed the teachers are wonderful and he comes home every night excited about what he did in class. I also love the fact that they not only have a strong focus on academics but also on building important character qualities in each student, like honesty, respect and responsability.

Posted January 31, 2011

I just wanted to say that The Academy has been around for 17 years now, so the former student complaining about things from its beginnings needs to know that things are MUCH different now! The facility is amazing, the technology is second to none compared to any school around this area, and the teachers and administrators are top notch.

Posted December 10, 2010

Love the high academic standards. Love the high expectations for behavior and the character education. The specials teachers are incredible...especially elementary PE & elementary art! The dress code is ok...its moving in the direction of being pretty normal instead of so strict.

Posted September 16, 2009

I absolutely LOVE the Academy! I almost never get teased or bullied and when I do, it's so easy to get help. The teachers are flexible and they will bend and morph their teaching skills untill they fit according to their students and parents. Especialy Mrs. Alexander! Without a doubt, The Academy of Charters Schools is the best of the best!
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 14, 2009

Both of my children attend the Academy and we love the high expectations that the school and each of the teachers hold. As parents we desire for our children to grow to be responsible citizens which will give them confidence to reach for anything they desire in their lives. The core curriculum, excellent reading program and character development are a few of the highlights for our family. Our children are encouraged to be individuals and yet still learn to function in group settings because this will be how their entire lives are structured in the adult world.

Posted September 13, 2009

High School teachers really care. Administration in secondary school leaves much to be desired. Board is very secretive. Things happen that are not explained. Good people leave suddenly.

Posted September 13, 2009

If you care about keeping kids in dress code than this school is for you-not your kid. If you want your kid to have an open mind and learn- stay away.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 21, 2009

We have had two children graduate from The Academy 2008 & 2005. The school was great in assisting them maintain character traits that are above and beyond any children we have come across. The staff is wonderful, very well educated, supportive of parents and has great discipline policies. My children are better people for attending this school.

Posted January 10, 2009

I love this school. My wife attended the school when she was a senior and two of our children go there now. The only problem I have is Mrs. Lurvey. She doesn't listen and she is not helpful at all. We had a major problem last year and she said that her main priority was 'to defend the teachers'. Really? See here I thought it was to educate our children? Replace her and this school would be doing a lot better.

Posted January 1, 2009

Overall I'm glad we made the switch to the Academy 2 years ago. The curriculum is awesome, my kids are reading 2-3 year above their grade level, and writing good solid stories with details is required as early as kindergarten. The teachers are awesome and even took an active part in helping my socially awkward daughter 'fit' in. They are encouraging, and communicate well with the parents. Sometimes more attention is put on the dress code vs learning. I got a phone call that I needed to replace my daughters broke belt during my lunch break. I thought this was totally absurd and asked to speak with the principal. The matter was solved without it going to that level, but the fact that I was contacted at all made me wonder if the focus was not on teaching but what she was wearing. The uniform policy needs to be revamped.

Posted December 31, 2008

My children are in Secondary school. I like the dress code. I also like that teachers are not afraid to give students failing grades. The sports programs are very good. Going to a small school gives my children opportunities to participate where they may not have had at a larger school. I like the smaller classrooms. My only complaint is that some of the teachers don't have a lot of experience. I would give it an five star rating for more experienced teachers. However, this is also one of the things I love about the school. There are many young, enthusiastic teachers.

Posted November 19, 2008

This is our first year at the Academy and I am so impressed! Just the communication alone is so different from any schools our friends attend. The curriculum and character education is just something that would not happen in our neighborhood school (about a block from our house). I cannot believe the writing/reading/spelling they are doing at the kindergarten level. It was a difficult decision not going to our neighborhood public school, but I am so grateful that we tried the Academy. We were very lucky to get in and my son is doing so well and he loves it! The future looks extremely promising for this school.

Posted November 13, 2008

We can only say great things about the Academy. Our 2 children are in the elementary program there. Both are reading 3 grade levels ahead. I like that they are trying to improve the writing portion of the curriculum. I appreciate that the school is really concentrating on character education, it is what sets them apart from other schools.

Posted September 3, 2008

Good teachers, and a great learning atmosphere for the most part, but the general way the school is run is not very... smooth? You might say? When they try to work out kinks it just makes it harder on the students.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 15, 2008

We have been going to ACS for 3 years now and love it! The education my child receives is far better than most of the schools in our area! My child is more advanced in reading and math compared to the children in our area that go to a Adams12 school!

Posted August 11, 2008

My daughter has been at this school going on 4 years now and she is so far above other kids in the neighborhood schools. She is reading three grades above her level and loves being there. As a parent I am very happy with the school and am very involved in my daughters education.

Posted August 7, 2008

I love ACS & defend this school fiercly when others have negative things to say about it. Currently, there are more kids on the waiting list than there are enrolled! They must be doing something right! If you don't like it there, you need to take your kids out immediately & make room for someone else that desperately wants in, instead of complaining & trying to change something that the majority loves. I've tried our local elementary school down the street & even attempted home-schooling for a couple of years. I never thought I could be so happy in a public school. It is like getting a private-school education without the outrageous tuition. We've built lasting relationships with other ACS families & I'm thrilled that all of my children will be attending school on the same campus all the way from kindergaren through 12th grade graduation! It's simply awesome!

Posted June 19, 2008

I have been so pleased with the teaching staff, they are beyond wondeful. I am truly amazed at the core curriculum and what they are learning. My children are above average in their grade level. I love the fact we can volunteer at any time and we are welcome with open arms.

Posted May 4, 2008

I have two children at The Academy. My oldest child has been there since 1st grade and my second child since kindergarten. I would not send them any where else. Love the K-12, Core Knowledge, the discipline structure and, of course, the parental involvement. I do wish they offered more hands-on learning, field trips, etc.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 55% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 51% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 49% in 2013.

All Students88%

Students without disabilities53%
Proficient in English51%
Neither migrant nor immigrant50%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

3 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Colorado high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 8%N/A41%
Male 46%N/A51%
Female 54%N/A49%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

11800 Lowell Blvd