Academy Of Charter Schools 5

Posted March 16, 2014
My child goes to the half-day Pre-K program at the Academy. We absolutely love it. My son has a fall birthday, so this is actually his 3rd year of preschool. He has gone to a different preschool each year (plus the Goddard School back when I used to work). I have to say that I have been amazed at the quality of this program compared to the other preschools that he has been to. There is plenty of time for play but also a strong focus on learning. It is obvious that a lot of thought has been put into the curriculum for each week. The kids don't do worksheets; they learn through art, activities, music, guests, games, etc. Every week the teachers change out all of the toys at each center to go along with the theme for the week. They even do tongue strengthening exercises to help with their verbal skills! The teachers also emphasize discipline and independence. The kids are taught to resolve their own disputes. I wish the rankings for the Academy were separated out by Elementary, Middle School and High School. My experience so far with the elementary school is that it is a top notch school and feel very fortunate have my son enrolled here.

Posted March 02, 2014
This school is not all its hyped up to be. They rely on their reputation alone and do not care about the students as individuals. All classes are filled to maximum capacity (29-30 students per class, 3-5 classes per grade). It is a joke trying to attend a school event as the school is so overpopulated that parking and finding a seat to sit is impossible. Furthermore pickup at the main campus is a zoo! We withdrew our children from this school after dealing with rude teachers and a snobby principal for over a year. Not recommended! (Referring to Elementary, we have heard that it only goes down hill from there once students move to Middle & High School.) Look elsewhere, much better options available that provide students with greater attention and educational support in order to help them succeed.

Posted February 05, 2014
This school needs lots of improvements. Most teachers quit there and got fired, all the high school teachers are young. Im just telling you about high school, and the stop light to the school is horrible. You'll wait at least 15 minutes when school starts. They alot of times shut down the school because of the recent conditioning problem (2-3 students passed out) and they closed down another time because of a leaking problem. There once was a flooding. They also had all the lights shut down a couple of times. Its just going down. I mean the staff are great and friendly but the school itself is horrible. there money is going low and they cant print alot of stuff. There also was 2 homeless teachers there!! They need to start fixing these problems. but otherwise a great community. Just needs improvement.

Academy Of Charter Schools 5

Posted January 07, 2014
My daughter is in the afternoon pre-k program at the academy and she loves it! I have volunteered in the classroom so have seen a full day from start to finish. The teachers are kind and invested in the students but firm when need be. The expectations for behavior are high, but with the direction of the teachers, the kids do very well meeting those expectations. There is a good balance of academics, free play and outdoor play. I am impressed. I also should add that the parents of the children in the classroom are wonderful people. We are looking forward to kindergarten next year!

Posted December 12, 2013
Alright, as a student you expect me to say that this is a horrible school. But, I'm not going to say that it's horrible. I'm just going to say it needs a lot of improvements. First of all, it is a great school if you are looking for an elementary school. Other than that don't even try. This year students/ parents have been battling the administration constantly about changes that need to be made. One of their big things at The Academy is that they are always improving, making it a college prep school, always trying to help you, promises promises promises... Yet they have about only two A.P. classes, the honors classes are just a name nothing more, and they focus more on test scores more than the individualized student. Also, class sizes are about 30ish students. I was in a classroom with 40 kids and a lot of us had to sit on the floor for about a month because they didn't have enough desks. The school is honestly not big enough to have a 3-12 grade campus. We have too many traveling teachers because there are not enough classrooms. I can list some many other things. However, I don't have space. All I'm saying is if you want to be constantly frustrated, I got the place for you.

Academy Of Charter Schools 4

Posted December 02, 2013
In regards to the previous post, dated October 23, you must be talking about a different school. Second graders and third graders are not even at the same campus at The Academy...impossible for them to be in the same classes. By the way, your spelling is atrocious. Yes The Academy has faced cuts, as have all other schools. Yes, the American education system is a mess. What hasn't changed however, is the School's stance that their teachers and staff provide extras to keep every kid learning. There are literacy teachers who make sure each student is reading above grade level. The students still get two specials a day: art, music, pe, science, and computers. The character education program emphasizes respect, responsibility, etc. The math curriculum has each kid working at their own level, which also tends to be above grade level. The parents volunteer a ton to help both teachers and students. The PTO has really worked hard to create a sense of community and raise additional funds so that kids aren't off selling stuff like cookie dough. As you can see, we are content with the education our kids are getting.

Posted November 27, 2013
This school is a JOKE!! If your child has any type of a personality, I don't recommend this school. The Pre K program had my child doing things we had been doing with her since she was two. ( color sorting, lace up cards, learning the alphabet, and numbers to name a few.) They have a teacher in the classroom who's only purpose is to walk around with a clip board and write down the bad things every child does. When I asked the teacher for any positives, she had none. It's really not a very loving environment for four year olds! They ask for money in one way or another on a weekly basis ( on top of the tuition we already pay) It's a real disappointment for us, since we have had out child on the waiting list since she was 18 months, and now we have her at home where honestly she is much better off! I wish I could describe with words how much I truly dislike this school.

Posted October 23, 2013
First of all I would like to say that my history with this school goes way back, as I am an alumni. I started at the Academy 4 years into its opening, it was small but it was wonderful! My daughters attend the school now and boy has it ever changed! All of the people who started this school and dreamed of better for students are gone. The new administration has no clue about how tight knit and inspiring this place used to be. The teachers are great, at least the ones that have stayed the past couple years. The budget cuts and subsequent loss of good teachers is awful! They are so concerned with raising money and passing tests, it's ridiculous. They are programming children not educating them. On top of that my elementary kids have at least 45 minutes to an hour of homework and reading, then I get emails from the teachers about logging on to take practice tests and nonsense. Eight hours a day is enough! If the work cannot be completed in 8 hours it can be finished the next day. The American education system is a joke and this school was started to give students the opportunity that isn't afforded in public schools, obviously we are just "another school" trying to pass TCAP.

Posted October 10, 2013
We were very excited when we were told that our child had been accepted into the Academy for Kindergarten. Little did I know at the time that the classes would be crammed with 28 students (the district max for K is 24), and our teacher was actually a substitute that they hired on at the last minute. After receiving several phone calls a week for figeting in class, talking with classmates, and not standing still in line, along with comments from other teachers that "that class definitely has some issues" and our observation of the class that was more like a seminary than a colorful kindergarten class, we decided to move him to a public school which allowed for kids to be kids.

Academy Of Charter Schools 3

Posted September 06, 2013
Lots of inconsistencies!! No transparency whatsoever. Lots of things have changed in the few years we've been here with no explanation. We lost a ton of great teachers and now we have a school full of new teachers that don't know the philosophy of school or the culture. The board is doing a very poor job of being transparent. Parents are not presented with the truth and decisions are made without parent involvement which contradicts the mission statement. Student's education is suffering as too many decisions are being made without proper consideration for the greater good. Not sure where the school is heading which is scary. We are definitely looking at other options for our children, which is unfortunate, especially since we waited so long to get it. I hope things can turn around!

Academy Of Charter Schools
11800 Lowell Blvd, Westminster, CO  80031
Last modified Academy Of Charter Schools is a Charter school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Academy Of Charter Schools Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 62 reviews.