Cotton Creek Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 600 students

Cotton Creek is a Performance School meeting the needs of all of our students.

Posted Monday, August 18, 2014

This is a great school with a traditional neighborhood feel. It has dedicated teachers, staff and a principal who does his best every day. It is not everyone's idea of perfect, but if you are looking for a good, well-rounded education for your kids, with a diverse population and the inclusion of special needs inside the classroom, this is the place to bring your kids. It is a home for all families. Cotton Creek has a GT program and special needs programs, with clubs/activities to grow your little ones into something special. Bring your whole family to Cotton Creek and tour the place to see what you think. Come see for yourself what a great school this is.

Posted May 17, 2014

Interesting how all the negative reviews of this school mysteriously vanish - let's see how long mine stays. Listen, and listen good: Cotton Creek abuses the CO educational laws, which favor the school's judgment over the parents. They ignore or get defensive over questions and concerns about your child's education, they have a serious bullying problem, the teachers don't get the training or tools they need to do their job (some have overcome this and do great, but sadly that's only some), they've used state budget issues as an excuse to cut corners at the students' expense even though this is ILLEGAL, and the principal treats it all like a big joke. As someone else said, notice how soooo many of the glowing reviews for this school came in for this place at the same time... please, don't believe the hype. Oh and go ahead, Principal Kempsell, report this review and get it removed - it still won't stop me from telling others how bad Cotton Creek is and what an inadequate leader you are.

Posted February 7, 2014

We moved here from out of state, from a district with incredible schools. I was very concerned with what we would find, and have been so pleasantly surprised! We are thrilled with the staff, my sons 4th grade teacher, their attention to his personal needs (not just the core education, but pushing him personally ahead in areas he has strengths in, even if it means extra work for his teacher). We love the the leadership. We love how they want the kids to be happy and thrive and not just worry about the scores. I am turning down a seat at the local charter school offered to my kindergartener to have him attend Cotton Creek.

Posted July 12, 2013

I miss this school so much! We moved from Louisiana to Colorado a few years ago. We were leery at first to send our daughter to a public school and Cotton Creek could not have been better. The teachers and staff are incredible. There is a HUGE focus on education not just fund raising. I wish we could find us a school like this in TN (where we moved to). Sadly we have not. I miss CCE!

Posted May 21, 2013

My child has attended this school for 4 years and has been very happy. This school has some of the highest educated and experienced teachers in the area. They work together as a team and love what they do. The school offers a GT program and really keeps kids challenged, but also offers help for the kids that need it. There is a strong PTA with lots of parent involvement. The Physical Education teacher works with kids and parents to really get kids to be motivated. We have 2 school runs per year, as well as other sports. Great specials such as Computers, Music, Art PE programs. The Principal is very personable and involved with the school. He is at every school event, PTA meetings, evening events, and is outside greeting the kids each morning. Test scores tend to be low, due to number of outside factors. Don t judge this school by the test scores, come take a tour. This school will offer your child a well rounded education!

Posted January 6, 2013

We have two children at Cotton Creek. I have been impressed with the dedication of the staff. Seasoned teachers work with new teachers in a cooperative team teaching environment. Kids are happy there and the focus is on well-rounded curriculum where kids learn important content and life lessons. Come visit us. Our principal is outside before and after school on most days rain or shine to keep the kids safe. The PTA is a hardworking group of women (and men) who care about the school and plan family activites along with other fundraising activities to maintain the strong sense of community in our school. Not to mention we educate all members of your family... From special needs to gifted and talented. We are a school where everyone is welcome.... Step inside and take a tour. You will feel the heart of the school and why so many families love Cotton Creek.

Posted December 13, 2012

I have two children at Cotton Creek. My oldest child also attended CC. For the past 6 years, I've noticed some of my children's friends leaving and attending another school (the families didn't move residences) and then returning to Cotton Creek. Several of these kids have attended 2-3 elementary schools before 3rd grade. Is this best for a child to switch schools so often. My belief is these parents think Ivy League and forget their kid is in elementary school. School should be fun at this age and learning goes beyond a TCAP test. Parents need to get their head out of the sand and stop looking for the next best thing each school year. Become involved in your child's education and you begin to realize Cotton Creek is an outstanding school. If you sit on the sidelines and never participate, the school loses out on your involvement. Strong schools have a great community feeling, as does CC. They currently lack a mix of veteran and new teachers. The school has great programs done by music & physical education teachers and PTA. Technology is abundant although it often depends on which teacher your child has whether or not they infuse technology into their instruction.

Posted December 6, 2012

I don't recommend this school. The focus is on funding and enrollment instead of education. The PTA is concerned with popularity and not what's right for the kids. We're applying to other schools in the district for next school year. Don't believe all the five star reviews. The principal asked parents to write good reviews. Notice how many were written in the same time period.

Posted January 28, 2012

Cotton Creek is a fantastic school. Yes, the building is 30+ years old and the playground is pretty 1970-ish too. Don't let the external appearances deceive you. Teachers here are experienced, highly educated, and fully committed to the kids. We all know that teachers often spend a lot of their own money for basic classroom supplies, but one CC teacher paid over $700 out of pocket to purchase LEGO kits for the LEGO robotics club. If that doesn't show dedication, I don't know what does. My kids (2nd and 4th) are challenged every day, and both have individual learning plans to ensure they are able to move on to advanced topics rather than waiting for the rest of the class to catch up. Teachers at CC understand that kids learn differently, and at different paces, and accommodate learning needs. Good balance of diversity. Principal is fantastic and did a great job addressing a bullying situation (one of our kids was bullied - principal and teachers promptly notified us and put an immediate end to it and worked with us to help our child). Parents are actively involved in the school. Like others have noted, the annual Pumpkin Run is a fantastic event. All around great school

Posted January 20, 2012

My family is very fortunate to live in an area with so many excellent school options, and I feel fortunate that my kids are at Cotton Creek. I have a kindergartner and a 2nd grader and have been very happy with the education they received. At this age, I am certainly not concerned about my kids learning 2 grades ahead, or being forced to learn/know concepts that they are not developmentally ready for. I want them to be challenged, while still being encouraged to be a KID, and this school offers that plus a whole lot more. My oldest is considered "advanced" or "gifted" and the school has done a great job challenging him and providing ample opportunities for learning and growth above and beyond what is expected for the grade level. The principal is very hands-on, approachable, and accessible, and is always outside (even on the coldest single-digit temperature days) to welcome each child by name as they arrive to school. Strong parental support, active PTA, terrific extra-curricular activities (Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, running club, bike club, LEGO robotics, math club, etc.) You can FEEL the life of this school when you walk in the front doors. Highly recommend!

Posted January 11, 2012

We currently have a kindergarten student at Cotton Creek. We have been extremely happy with the staff and the principal. The kindergarten teachers are wonderful! They are organized, friendly, and very responsive to any questions or concerns that I may have. The teachers also do a wonderful job challenging my student with leveled take home books and leveled reading groups based on abilitly.

Posted January 11, 2012

I have 3 kids in this school K, 1st, and 3rd grades. The teachers and principle are amazing! From the time you walk in those front doors you feel that the school makes a difference in each and every child that goes to school there. You won't be disappointed in this!

Posted January 11, 2012

We have children in K and 2nd grades and LOVE the school. We researched and visited a tons of school before selecting CC. This school had the exact balance we were looking for to keep our GT kids academically challenged while also making sure they develop life-long social skills and understand the importance of a healthy life style through the physical education program. The school has it all; amazing teachers, extra academic clubs, a principal that is hands on, warm and safe environment, great music and PE programs. Parents and teachers work together to raise money to provide the ability for kids to learn on the newest technology. Parents support the PE teacher for a Pumpkin Run that gets all of the kids active. The library is first class and my kids bring home a new book every day. I could go on and on

Posted January 11, 2012

My family has been very pleased with Cotton Creek. Both my children have had and continue to have great experiences there. I have found academically they are thriving. The teachers have done a great job keeping them challenged. The school is very caring and it makes us feel like we are apart of a community. As a parent I like to be involved in my children's education and I love how Cotton Creek is open to having parent volunteeres on many levels. It offers so much for the kids, like after school activities, special needs, gifted and talented, fun events throughout the year, etc. There is great support from the PTA. I have found the teachers, office staff and principle to be available and willing to listen and will go above and beyond to help students. This school is full of heart. And they provide a solid education that will only benefit the students in years to come.

Posted January 11, 2012

My familiy has had the pleasure of being at Cotton Creek for the past 6 years. When my daughter was starting Kindergarten we researched and observed at several schools, including a local charter school. As an elementary school teacher myself (different district) I know an excellent school when I see one. From the moment you walk through the doors you will find the school to be warm, friendly, and nurturing. The teachers have very high expectations academically, behaviorally, and socially. The teachers are wonderful and instill a love of learning and reading. The teachers do an excellent job challenging and engaging GT students. My children look forward to school each day and don't even want to stay home when they are sick! The school has an amazing amount of extra-curricular activities including foreign languages, lego robotics, chorale, running club, drama, student council, biking club, volleyball, and more! The principal is outstanding! He is very hands-on, caring, and willing to help out with anything. The kids truly feel like the adults in this school care about them and want them to succeed. Cotton Creek is a great school and I would highly recommend it!

Posted January 11, 2012

We have a kindergartener and 2nd grader at Cotton Creek and our 3rd child will be attending there in a couple years. We did get into other schools but picked Cotton Creek as our number one choice. This has been one of the best decisions we have ever made regarding our children's education. Cotton Creek has that loving and nurturing feel which we feel is a very important characteristic in an elementary school. The academics have been tailored to fit our kid's individual needs and there are great activities to be involved in through the school. The principal is wonderful and he has always been available to talk with. The teachers are AMAZING, every single one has given our children the love, support, and guidance they need to make elementary school a positive experience. The parent involvement at the school is also excellent. Cotton Creek is an awesome school and our children's love of school is living proof of this!

Posted November 22, 2011

This school has to be the worst academically. It is a play school, a social school. If you are looking for strong academics, this is not the school. My children were thought to be gifted and talented at the beginning of the year, but the GT program didn't start until February. I pulled them out because I felt this school was leading them to a community college instead of a state or university college.

Posted September 27, 2011

I agree with much of what has been said in other reviews, especially regarding the superior PE program. Adams 12 is really struggling at the top levels. Cotton Creek is certainly one of it's better schools. There are grades at Cotton Creek where every teacher is amazing and would be the tops at any school (K, 1, 3) and other grades where you hope you get one of the 3 of 4 that are wonderful. None are bad, just seem to be getting stricter in the new hires. This is a Principal that stresses discipline and has become increasingly strict over the past few years. More so than at other Adams 12 schools. My kids have not had problems, but it is very old school management, no talking in the halls, no talking at the last 1/4 of lunch, good little marching soldiers. My kids take instruction well, but I wish there were more creative thinking stressed and reward for student leadership and not just following orders. Jeffco, Boulder, Douglas counties and the Adams 12 charter schools have much better services for GT kids. I do not think that pushing your kids and stressing GT at a young age makes a diference in the long run, but if you do, you might not be as happy at Cotton Creek.

Posted May 14, 2010

This is the greatest school. I feel so confident that my kids are getting a great education. You enter the school and can feel how much the administration care about the students.

Posted April 14, 2010

Great place for kids, safe, clean, great principal and PTA!!!

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

All Students91%

Students without disabilities84%
Proficient in English76%
Neither migrant nor immigrant75%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 2:30 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Coed
Fax number
  • (720) 972-5355

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Direct instruction
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Transportation options