1, 3-4, 6-12|Private

Bad
Good

I have attended Alpine Valley School for 10 years. This school is the most amazing environment for a kid to grow, this is a place where you understand what its like to be able to learn, to want to know, where you grow as a person through independence and expression, Here the staff are your peers they treat the students with the same amount of respect as they do the other adults. I owe everything to this school.

I am an alumni of Alpine Valley School and I really enjoyed my time as a student. I took a lot of different classes during my time there including some fun ones such as acting, American sign language, Greek mythology, gymnastics, and self defense, as well as more traditional ones like algebra. But I actually did most of my learning outside class. Alpine Valley has a bunch of committees and corporations that the students participate in, which are the equivalent of clubs at other schools, except more in depth. There are committees and corporations for art, traveling, cooking, keeping the school looking nice, and dealing with rule violations, to name a few. Through being a part of different committees and corporations I learned about fundraising, cooking, geography, public speaking, accounting, organizational skills, how to run and participate in meetings, and how to work as part of a team. All the skills I learned through my involvement with the school committees and corporations have translated into my adult life and I am very grateful that I had a chance to practice them at Alpine Valley.

We moved to Colorado so my 3 children could attend Alpine Valley School. We are grateful to have made this decision and are so very happy to be a part of the AVS community. My oldest daughter was in middle school when we moved and very unhappy at her public school - she spent a lot of time doing and worrying about homework and fitting in with her peers. The stress was creating a lot of self-doubt. My son was in first grade and being negatively affected by the public school environment. He is a quick learner and did not want to do homework when he already knew how to do the problems. I agreed that the extra work was meaningless and yet the system required the homework be completed. Once my kids enrolled at AVS the stress and worry disappeared and they were happy and excited to share their day. The Sudbury model of education that Alpine Valley follows gave them opportunities every day to discover who they are, what they want to do and to trust that they are enough to live a full and happy life. If you have school-age children, I encourage you to go to www.alpinevalleyschool.com and check out this school. It has been a beneficial life-change for my children and our family.

The level of energy at school this year is wonderful. New students are learning how to be in charge of their day and current students are engaged in pursuing their interests with enthusiasm. Even a visitor commented on the activities and energy at school. Alpine Valley School gives each student the opportunity to follow their curiosity and learn through their experiences every day.

What an amazing opportunity it has been to be involved with Alpine Valley School. The students leave with a true sense of who they are and how to advocate for their success both in school and once they graduate. Also many of the common stressors of public schooling such as nagging about homework, late night studying, and stressing over grades disappeared, and yet learning is still present and far more powerful for the students. I would definitely recommend this school to any family looking for a school for their children.

I'm an alumna from this school, and I can't express the gratitude that I feel toward the staff and the community as a whole. There is no other model I can think of that would have prepared me better for the life that I enjoy today - I am capable of determining my professional and personal ambitions and seeing them through; the freedom and resources that this school provided me were invaluable to me. I know of few schools whose graduates remain as grateful and involved as they do at this school.

We had switched schools a number of times, frustrated with an expensive academy, an overpopulated charter school, and the last straw being the hostile, outdated school model being pushed by the principle at Mt. Phoenix, I was told about Alpine Valley School. At a time when my daughter was very uneasy about joining yet another new school, Alpine Valley was so unique and interesting to her that we knew she could easily make the transition. Now she is enjoying school thoroughly, making friends in a non-stress environment. For the first time, within the ingenious framework of the Sudbury Valley school model, she is given the time and freedom to study what she loves. As a parent, it's important to consider all school options for your child. This school is like nothing you've ever seen; it may be the best K-12 school in Wheat Ridge.

This school has been fantastic! My child went from sad, ill, and stressed in a conventional school to happy, healthy and excited to go to school as much as possible. I see the school philosophy working every single day. I am relieved to have my child here and impressed. The only Sudbury school in Colorado. What an opportunity!

The students at Alpine Valley excel in communication and other social studies as well as liberal arts. I am truly amazed at how mature, responsible, organized and self reliant my fifteen year old daughter has become.

Last modified Alpine Valley School is a Private school that serves grades 1, 3-4, 6-12