Windsor Charter Academy

Charter | K-8 | 441 students

We are best known for Core Knowledge Curriculum.

Posted January 31, 2012

I can not say enough positive things about WCA. I have three children attending this school and the changes I've witnessed in them have been amazing! The teachers and staff are very involved in the progress of each child that attends. They have gone out of their way to help my children succeed and they do it with compassion and sterness. They are teaching my children to be accountable for their actions which is exactly what I feel is very important for kids to understand- escpecially these days! I truly believe in their motto, "Failure Leads to Success," and to always keep trying-never give up.Some parents may feel that the leadership is to strict here but I ask you, have seen the kids nowadays? Many of them are very disrespectful! I don't want my kids to be this way to the community. So I am very pleased with the way they correct my children when needed and they ALWAYS include me when there is an issue. They do what it takes to help my children achieve their goals. This has been proven to me in their grades and in their behavior. This school and its teachers and staff are a blessing to my family and I and for this I thank you WCA leadership and staff. Keep up the AWESOME work!

Posted January 29, 2012

We have 2 children in the elementary school, who were both enrolled in Kindergarten. We are extremely pleased with their educational experiences. My husband and I both have advanced graduate degrees and our standards are therefore high. While no school will be perfect, we have found the school (both the teachers and the administration) to be partners in making our children's educational experience a positive one. I am puzzled by the negative comments here. However, like most things in life, you get out of it what you put into it. If you are expecting a school and it's administration to do ALL of the work for your child AND for you, then you will be disappointed wherever you go. However, if you become involved and engaged in your child's education, you will be more than pleased with WCA. We are.

Posted January 13, 2012

This is my daughters second year attending. We were thrilled when she was admitted, but have been disappointed ever since. They spend more time testing than teaching and do not challenge the kids at all. My daughter came in mid kindergarten and has begged me all through first grade to put her back in a school like she previously attended. They treat the children like robots and teach to the tests which is probably why the test scores are as high as they are. My daughter is in first grade and is still doing preschool math. The reading curriculum isn't much better. The only math and reading she has learned this year is from what we teach her at home. The one positive thing I have to say is they have an excellent science program. I will be sad to leave that behind, but we will be looking for a new school for her to attend next year. They say they have a no bullying policy, but I have witnessed bullying first hand while volunteering and nothing was done about it. The kids are very clicky and my daughter has felt like an outsider the entire time she has attended even though she has made friends. Also, they give tons of candy and treats to the children.

Posted December 19, 2011

Outstanding school and leadership, always willing to listen, great interaction with the students and adults, recently toured another charter school in the area, Windsor Charter is well ahead of this school with the same academic program. I love being involved in the school and assisting with the education of my child, Transistion to Singapore Math was rough, more so with the represtentative from the program, however the school has been very open and accommodating with my concerns

Posted December 13, 2011

Our family has been at WCA for 3 years now and are very happy there! We have had great teachers and no problems with the school at all. I love being as active in my children's education as I want. My children have done very well and we are proud to be a part of the WCA family!

Posted December 8, 2011

The teachers at WCA are fabulous. I have served on several hiring committees. While charter schools might not need to hire only licensed teachers, WCA does. I have multiple children in this school, and there has never been one single day when I didn't feel like they were in good hands. These teachers are some of the mose dedicated, professional, caring people you will find anywhere. They are highly-qualified, participate in on-going professional development and bring world-class education to our children. They care deeply about the success and well-being of each child in their care. Even the smalles issues are dealt with quickly and compassionately. The childrens' safety, security and emotional health are taken seriously here. It is unfortunate that in the era of school choice, it frequently degenerates into a competition among parents who want "bragging rights" about their child's school. We have many fine schools in Windsor, each with its own unique "personality." WCA is a better fit for my children. This is not a condemnation of other schools, they are simply different. We are fortunate to have the ability to make that choice. For us that choice is WCA.

Posted December 7, 2011

Windsor residents are fortunate to have many excellent schools to choose from. In my opinion, WCA is among the best. Our 2nd-grader is excelling academically, she is engaged and enthused about her education, she has made close friends, and her teachers have been absolutely stellar. I can't imagine our family having a better experience. WCA's leadership (Principal, Administrators & Board) is world-class. The leaders foster a safe, secure, and respectful culture. As a direct result, WCA students learn to excel academically while also building essential character values (i.e. "respect for self, others, property, and learning"). We chose WCA because of the dedicated, intelligent, and caring people we met there. Each teacher and administrator we spoke with, starting with the Principal, was able to articulate a clear, consistent vision: provide students with the skills, support, & resources they need to realize a superior academic and character education. The Core Knowledge curriculum (and yes, Singapore Math too!) fully supports that vision and is extremely effective. The school truly lives up to its vision. We couldn't be happier with WCA and we would highly recommend it to others.

Posted December 6, 2011

WCA used to be a great school. Few years ago the original Principal went to WY to open a new Charter school. The new Principal who took her place together with the Board are trying to "reinvent the wheel".The quality of the teaching went down, they brought in the Singapore math, method which is suitable for Singapore where people speak so many languages.One thing that is always associated with Charter schools is that parents work a lot with their children, thus high scores.In any case Singapore math is a huge drawback, reason why we took our children to a Public school. Now we are very happy with the whole school situation. We also found that Public schools unlike Charter schools hire only Certified teachers. Do not get sucked into the Lottery thing. By the time the kids reach 5th-6th grade they do not want to stay there.

Posted September 11, 2011

WCA has been a great school for our daughter who just started 2nd grade. Besides our own personal experience, I have two nephews and a niece who all attended WCA and they had very positive experiences as well. I have been fortunate to be able to help as a volunteer in many ways at the school, getting to see first-hand the teachers in action as well as the school board, the principals, other parents, etc. My daughter's teachers have been excellent in terms of creativity, classroom management, and I think a real love of teaching. I have also been pleased with the breadth of "specials" offered including Technology, Spanish, Library, Music, Art & PE. My 2nd grader loves WCA and told me the other day that she wishes the school went through 12th grade so that she wouldn't have to go to another school someday. I'm sure her feelings will change over time, but I think that speaks well for her current experience. We also enjoy the Science Matters program offered after school hours throughout the school year. Uniforms - LOVE them! If you are school shopping in the Windsor area, be sure to check out WCA.

Posted September 9, 2011

I am starting my fourth year at WCA. All around we are happy to be here. It has the high standards of a private school but in a public school. The leadership is outstanding and very open to any concerns or suggestions we have had. We love the volunteering opportunities as it keeps us as parents involved in our childrens education. A school cam only be great if the parents reinforce the teachings at home. So if you are not willing to be involved with your children's education then go somewhere else. If you are involved then this is the school for you. The best thng you can do is tour the school and see if it fits your family. It is fabulous for us as we are very involved and feel strongly with uniforms. The school is secure and locked and only those that have filled out a background check form can come in. All the teachers are open to help from parents and love teaching.One bad thing we are lower in funding than the rest of the district so little things like maintaining up to date technology and maintaining electronics is harder. Most kids here are a year ahead of their peers that are in "regular" public school. Check and see if it fits your family. We wouldn't be anywhere else.

Posted September 7, 2011

Windsor Charter Academy is the best choice we could have made for our child. The staff is dedicated and competent and very open to parent involvement. If you want to be an active participant in your child's education, this is the school for you. The core knowledge curriculm and new adoption of a Singapore math program and after school science camps are all examples of the school's effort to adopt a challenging curriculum that will serve our students well and make them more than highschool ready by the time they finish the 8th grade. Uniforms and an excellent character education program round the school out to show kids how to be good citizens and help them learn skills they will need their entire life and keep them focused on what is important, their education!

Posted September 7, 2011

Jeez, I guess if you don't cater to all the gifted children or maybe I should put that correctly, the parents of gifted children then you aren't a good school. And imagine that, people in our society with tattoos, what will these children ever do when they are out from under the shelter of their parent and they see somebody on the street with a tattoo. All I can say is WCA is an awesome school with the best and most involved teachers and staff I have ever seen at a school and I am proud to have my child going there. I also enjoy volunteering at the school and going on field trips with my child. There is only so much you can do with limited resources and if as a parent you don't like it then there are plenty of private schools and mega-churches you can take your gifted child to so they can get "special attention". And for the record I have three tattoos, so look out !

Posted August 29, 2011

Once they got a new principal, the school really went downhill. Teachers are still great, overall. Principal is inexperienced and does not lead well. Very poor choice considering the many experienced applicants they had for this position when it opened three years ago. Plusses: Great curriculum, teachers who care, uniforms, structured, fun activities that go along with the curriculum, after school programs are good considering how small a school it is. Minuses: Too much focus on CSAP, not enough "hands on" time and too much focus on homework for most teachers (though some balance this well) Unprofessional leadership is the biggest downfall of the school and unfortunately, this affects almost everything. I would highly recommend this school under the previous leadership, but I cannot in good conscience do so now. I truely hope this does not last and things start looking up for WCA. One last note: my kids really liked it until the last year they were there and a very minor incident turned into a huge fiasco. This incident lost all my trust for the principal in seeing the principal was looking out for the teachers and not the kids. Very sad.

Posted July 20, 2011

Sadness for a school that families were once loyal to and excited about. We have been at WCA for two years and are questioning whether or not to return. Leadership the last two years was severely lacking and I am afraid that next year will be worse. The idea that a charter school flourishes due, in part, to the participation of the parents has been seriously brought into questions. Personal agendas and weak leadership have lead to bitterness, gossip, and derision. The music program is practically non- existent at the elementary level. If music is important to you- this school will not provide an opportunity for your child. A great disappointment to us. I have liked most of our teachers and I feel that the teacher makes all the difference. We like the Core Knowledge curriculum- it has proven to be a far better fit for our kids. As a parent, I love the dress code- saves a lot of headaches in the mornings!

Posted April 3, 2011

Good teachers in general. Bad board and principal. They do not listen to the parent membership. Lots of talk about sex education.

Posted November 12, 2010

This is our second year at Windsor Charter Academy (our daughter is in first grade) and, thus far, we have been extremely impressed. The teachers have been excellent, and she has learned quite a bit. Before we selected WCA, we did look at other schools in Windsor, as well as TR Paul in Fort Collins, and we were most impressed in WCA. We are confident that we made the right decision for our daughter. I appreciate that what parents feel is important in a school can vary greatly, but if you are looking for a good academic school with a great staff, check out WCA. If your child is a prodigy (apparently that is pretty common), you may be better off looking into Harvard.

Posted November 12, 2010

WCA is incredible; from staff to parents to students, this truly is a beacon for what charter schools in Colorado can be! The teachers are top-caliber and represent diverse styles and backgrounds. The Core Knowledge curriculum is outstanding at helping students progressively build their knowledge and critical thinking skills. Most importantly, there is a really sense of energy and enthusiasm at this school... people want to be here and want to be involved. WCA is a gem.

Posted October 6, 2010

If your kid needs extra anything pick a larger school that offers more with open door policies and less parents in control. After 2 years, this is our last, our kids still feel like they re on the outside looking in. No amount of good behavior, effort, solid A, occasional B, grades open doors. The same kids from the same families get picked for the lead rolls in the school plays, the sports with tryouts, the accelerated gifted classes, honor society, student counsel... With limited funding/space what parent in the teacher/board member position would deny their kids or friends kids when picking for those prime extra curricular positions? Nepotism Cronyism Favoritism = deserving kids without a shoe in are left out of the few extras the school offers. Furthermore, this inequality from adults exacerbates the common stigmas/clicks among kids. Very sad.

Posted May 25, 2010

If you want your child to attend WCA, get them on the waiting list. You'll have an excellent chance of getting in, as large numbers of families are fleeing this once-superior school. The current board has turned it into a core-knowledge school in name only. In 2008 they hired a first-time principal with no experience in core-knowledge, nor in charter schools. Since then, the academic standards have plummeted. The CSAP scores remain high because for 3 months leading up to the testing, children bring home assignments labled "CSAP Prep" and "CSAP review" and spend countless hours in class practicing CSAP test taking. Our child had 31 parties and field trips that wasted unbelievable hours of class time. Others can scoff at the completely unprofessional appearance of many of the teachers, but, with the kids expected to meet the dress code, it displays shocking hypocrisy. Please, visit a class before enrolling here.

Posted April 28, 2009

We were really excited about beginning this school. However, our excitement has declined. The teachers are teaching to the CSAP's. There is no excitement for learning or encouragement to advance. My children are bored and there is no gifted and talented programs. Teachers with tattoos, body piercings and a dirty appearance is unexceptable. My children have been bullied with no real solutions being brought to the table. This school has been knocked off course. It could come back but, will take a great deal of leadership and work.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

All Students90%

Not eligible for free/reduced price lunch97%
Proficient in English92%
Neither migrant nor immigrant90%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 15%N/A41%
Male 41%N/A51%
Female 59%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Italian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • John Irwin Schools of Excellence (2010)
  • John Irwin Schools of Excellence (2009)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

• Italian

Health & athletics

• Gym
  • Gardening

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Tracy Stanford/Julie Claeys
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook