Ashford, CT

Ashford School 5

Posted February 10, 2015
As a parent of a student who has been attending Ashford School now for 4 years (since Pre-K), I am absolutely amazed by these negative reviews. Looking at the reviews, I am not sure if things have changed immensely, but I only have wonderful comments to make about the incredible teachers and staff. My job is as a college professor who instructs future teachers. As both a professional and a parent, I am impressed by all that Ashford has to offer. In fact, we decided to move out of Manchester because of the school. The teachers are extremely involved, highly supportive, and very approachable. My daughter has been challenged by teachers who recognize that she needs content beyond her grade level. The school works with the community to have recreational and educational activities in and out of classrooms. Significant improvements have been made to the school itself in recent years along with the enriched curriculum (in Math, Science, Art and Technology). My daughter adores everyone at the school and I cannot thank them enough for all that they have done for her! I look forward to enrolling my son in Pre-K next year!

Ashford School 1

Posted January 17, 2014
Terrible! Although there are many excellent teachers as well as poor teachers there. Lame at returning phone calls or just do not call back at all. Lack of professionalism is huge and I found the receptionist can be side railed by personal conversations while not answering phone calls....now a second was hired (hmmm). I'm still waiting for a return phone call from four months ago from the principal. This is not a school that needs an automated answering machine...get someone who can do the job. So glad my child is out of there.

Posted September 03, 2013
I attended Ashford School in the late 80s and am a college graduate pursuing my graduate degree. My son is now attending Ashford School and has been for the last 3 years. Every teacher I have interacted with on my son's behalf has been kind and truly concerned for the well-being of the students. I think that you have to take the negative ratings with a grain of salt. Many parents today expect teachers to do their jobs PLUS the job of the parent. Teachers can only do so much. The parent has to take the time to supplement what the teacher cannot. In fact, if more parents spent time teaching their children how to behave appropriately, the poor teachers wouldn't have to take time out of their curriculum in order to teach correct behavior. The school is great and it all depends on how much time and effort you put into your child's education.

Ashford School 2

Posted March 08, 2012
If you have a student with special needs this is not the school for you. They have the SPED staff, but don't seem to use it wisely and some of the personal don't know their jobs. They will change an IEP to fit their needs not the students needs. As for the general ed teachers, they seem to do their best. It doesn't feel like they are supported in how to help SPED students.

Ashford School 5

Posted September 28, 2010
We have been very impressed with the teachers and leadership at this school, particularly the Principal. My daughter was accelerated from Kindergarten to Second Grade this year. Our experience with her teachers and the administrators was excellent. She was far ahead of her classmates (and very unhappy) so her teacher put her in a first grade reading group (doing 2nd grade work) and also into enrichment with first grade students. To be brief, she was evaluated for Math and Reading, we met with teachers at the first and second grade levels to discuss curriculum and potential challenges, and we found the entire process to be simple and straightforward. We had numerous resources at our disposal throughout the process and the staff was both fully available to us and extremely professional throughout. My daughter's teacher made heroic efforts on her behalf; she is an extraordinary educator.

Ashford School

Posted February 28, 2009
Raze the school and send the students to other districts. The cost to the town is enormous, and the returns are pitiful. The school is failing to teach or inspire the students. Academically the kids are behind their peers in neighboring Mansfield and Willington. Student behaviour is unrestrained and you get the strong impression the principal is not concerned with the way the students interact with each other. The last superindendant came from a failing school system and no one could figure out why he was hired in the first place. As for the special needs children, there is lots of support and extra help for them. But families of children who are bright and like to learn should look elsewhere.

Posted November 01, 2008

Posted November 01, 2008
I've been very pleased with Ashford School. My child has a health issue that has been dealt with with great skill and caring, and the curriculum has been challenging and fun. There is no issue in the mornings - my kid loves to go to school! The teachers are great. (resubmitted since I had my email wrong)

Ashford School 1

Posted November 10, 2007
I was very discouraged at the lack of proper curriculum that my child needed. They have many special needs programs available, but nothing for the child who is not challenged enough and may be more advanced class. Everyone is on the same playing field. They don't skip up a grade, it is not allowed. This is ridiculous. Instead of trying to help my bright child, they actually made things even more difficult for us and we ended up pulling our child out and placing our child into Catholic School, 18 miles away. They're great for the special needs kids, because they have a large amount of them. They also are very tight budgeted because the town doesn't many commercial taxes to help ease the burden.

Ashford School 2

Posted March 29, 2007
Everything is good except for bathrooms.

Ashford School
440 Westford Rd, Ashford, CT  06278
Last modified Ashford School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ashford School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top