Avon, CT

Posted April 24, 2013
Both of my kids attended RBS, the youngest is graduating this year. I have no complaints about any of the teachers. The kids enjoy school, they learn a great deal, and there is excellent communication between school and parents. PTA is very active. I really don't know what anyone could expect from a school that RBS does not already provide.

Posted January 19, 2013
We moved here from out of state in '07. School is more interested in numbers than learning. Teachers do not provide after school hours - they are out of there come the last class. If you child is not fit the mold either gifted or below average, this school does not provide any worthwhile accommodations. Principle and Vice Principle are useless. Typical New England behaviors with the condescending attitudes.

Posted May 07, 2012
We had a terrible experience at this school when my son went there. This was our first school experience and if I knew then what I know now, I would have done more about it. My son's teacher was harsh, to the point of punishing the entire class if any of the children acted up. She labeled the kids she obviously did not like (this done in casual conversations during parent/teacher meetings), including my own. She only liked the kids who did exactly as she dictated. She ran the class like a prison, shouting at them from a megaphone. For a kindergarten class of 5-year-olds, this approach does not work! Kindergarten teachers are supposed to be kind and patient - this teacher was neither, and so my son had an awful first experience in school. Many of the other parents in the class felt the same way; some even brought this up to the principal, but nothing changed. I am SO relieved we are no longer at this school!

Roaring Brook School 4

Posted August 04, 2010
I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind could rate "teacher quality" at RBS anything less than four stars. Like any school, there are those few teachers at RBS who "need to retire", but the teachers I have experienced have been nothing short of stellar. I can't really comment well on how strong the principal leadership is. But parents have opportunities at every turn to be involved, in the classroom, and through the PTO-directed activity committees and groups. RBS is absolutely not "average" in any way, in terms of what is out there in CT, and in the rest of the country.

Posted September 21, 2009

Posted April 03, 2009

Posted February 25, 2009
Roaring Brook School is amazing. We moved here 7 years ago and my children were in other top-rated school districts but none compare to RBS. The teachers and administrators are so dedicated to the children and willing to go beyond the expected. The level of education that both my children received at RBS was outstanding. I would recommend this school to anyone moving into the area. There are many opportunities to get involved in your childrens' classroom, the library, and on the pto if you choose. The other families have there arms wide open to welcome a new family into the RBS community. If you are looking for an enriching and nurturing environment, you can't go wrong to send your children to this school.

Posted February 23, 2009
We moved into the area recently and I love the school. My kids enjoy going and come home happy. The work they are doing seems to be at the appropriate level; pushing, but not too hard. The teachers all seem very interested in the students as individuals and, unlike past school systems we have been part of, actually WANT to be in the classroom! On the other hand...I feel like a lot of the PTO opportunities are difficult to be involved in. Many of the meetings and exchanges are held at 10AM and if you're a working parent it is difficult to really get involved on that end. That said, most of the mothers here don't seem to work so it probably is better to please most than just a few! Overall I love RBS and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Posted September 23, 2008

Roaring Brook School 4

Posted May 29, 2007
The school district enjoys a reputation for academic excellence. For the most part this carries over to Roaring Brook School. The teaching staff has some amazing individuals whose objective is to challenge your child and help them reach their potential. The math program fails to require mastery and depth of content. The reading program in the higher grades is driven by a textbook and standardized tests. There is an emphasis on the arts and the strings and chorus programs are wonderful as is art. Opportunities for language and other extracurricular activities after school. The school has dedicated parents but opportunities to contribute beyond social activities is limited. Great potential.

Roaring Brook School
30 Old Wheeler Ln, Avon, CT  06001
Last modified Roaring Brook School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Roaring Brook School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top