Baltic, CT

Sayles School 1

Posted May 06, 2015
The administration actively avoids getting involved with parents. I've had problems with both of my children getting the supports that they need. Some of the teachers are fantastic, and some should not be teaching at all, it's really luck of the draw. There is not enough funding to make sure that kids have access to extra help if they're struggling. They will provide intervention for children who aren't meeting the coveted benchmarks in reading, but if they need help in math, forget it. As for the issue of bullying, the administration will do everything they can to sweep the issue under the rug rather than address it and take action. Don't be fooled by the test scores for this school. School is much more than how well students perform on standardized tests, and in every other area, this school is failing its students.

Sayles School 3

Posted May 02, 2013
If you are a hands-off parent this school is the school for you. Administration has a habit of not answering questions until they are forced to, not matter how nicely you approach. The majority of teachers are tired and worn out and have no desire to do anything but teach for the CMT's. There is a small town mentality which shows when teachers and administration brush aside (read as ignore) new ideas or parents trying to get involved. If you don't know someone you'll get nothing from this school. They brush of bullying as kids being kids, yet promising they are doing something about it and the resulting change is nothing. It is apparent this school has a holier than thou attitude and they don't try to hide it.

Sayles School 1

Posted November 28, 2011
I did not feel that this school has teachers with proper education levels. Academically, they may look great, but I encountered a lot of ignorance with regards to teaching methods and overall judgment of intelligence in their classrooms. They may look OK on state scores, but I cannot imagine how that happens because the classroom environment (in the experiences I have had) is lacking at best. Move elsewhere or send your child to a private school if you want challenging or supportive.

Sayles School 5

Posted April 17, 2011
Most teachers are looking to help the child succeed. Many extracurricular programs after school. In addition the curriculum includes a second language in grades K-8. This is a big bonus for children who will require a second language later in their academic career.

Posted September 15, 2008
I have a son attending school at Sayles. This is his first year and I thought it would be difficult for him being as he has never been away from me. He absolutely loves it! His teacher is great and very hands on. She teaches at there pase which I think is very important. Such a great school!!

Posted November 27, 2007
My son is currently in the 4th grade at Sayles and is loving it. I have to say, he has not experienced any bullying. I like it that when I call they know me by name, and the office knows my son by his first name. I think the teachers are very thourough with their assignments and my son has had to really be on the ball to keep his grades up. No room for getting lazy with his schoolwork or homework.

Sayles School 3

Posted November 26, 2007
I currently have a child attending Sayles School. I feel the teachers are top notch. They put every effort into the success of the children. Unfortunately I feel they do not have the support of the administration. One issue is class size. Our child has 23 students in her class. This is excessive, and spreads the teachers very thin. Another is bullying. With the excessive class size, teachers can not oversee the children as they should. Bottom line: teachers are fantastic, but the school administration is falling short, and having an inverse impact on our child s education. If our family does not see in improvement very soon, we will consider changing schools. Looking back at other reviews, I can see this has been a problem for a few years now.

Sayles School 5

Posted October 18, 2004
I currently have 2 kids attending Sayles but had 4 at one time. I love this school very much even though it is smaller than those in surrounding towns. This school totally prepares students for high school and later life.

Posted April 11, 2004
I have had two children in the Sayles school system. My daughter has a learning disability and has been having difficulties for years. It took a while to get the help she needed but through persistance and involvement we are there. The school is always willing to work with parents if you make the effort. Parents need to get involved and that's the bottom line. If you don't like what's going on work to change it. The special education department at Sayles school is top notch. They really do care about our kids but remember as a parent you have to too. Get involved!

Sayles School

Posted February 29, 2004
My children started at Sayles this year, (mid year). The curriculum is behind their previous school. The teachers do make every effort to involve parents, however there is the issue of harrassment. My honest opinon is without a drastic change in the school's discipline policy there will be an unfortunate mishap. My advice- put teachers in every stairwell between every class everyday.

Sayles School
10 Scotland Rd, Baltic, CT  06330
Last modified Sayles School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sayles School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top