Bethel High School

Public | 9-12 | 949 students

Posted September 24, 2014

What a nightmare BHS is! My oldest graduated last year with honors, and in the first month at UNCONN is struggling. While he had fun at BHS, he even admitted how much more his college classmates from other public and private high schools know than he does. My daughter is now a sophomore at BHS and, like her brother, is suffering due to the poor academics. Unlike her brother, she is not having fun. the school is SO clicky-if (at 15-16!) you don't drink or do drugs, you do not fit in and are subject to daily bullying.

Posted April 30, 2014

BHS is an excellent school. We have two children that progressed through the Bethel school system and graduated from BHS within the last 4 years. They both did very well academically and played varsity sports. Both went on to attend selective, private colleges with scholarships. As parents, we provided support at home to help them to be successful. Like most things in life, you will get out what you put in to it. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted December 30, 2013

I am a student at Bethel. I read another post that described the "In clique"/crowd being favored by administration and teachers, which I couldn't agree more with. I struggled with science in particular last year and the counselors seemed more interested in getting the teacher to just pass me rather than really work with me. The teacher seemed to fear administration (maybe because they were a terrible teacher) and as soon as any action from guidance came into play, the teacher immediately did everything in their power to push me along, without any means to really work with me to grasp the information. This was shocking both to me and my parents as I have attended a different school where the status quo was much different. At bethel, if you are not considered "popular" chances are you will not be recognized for any awards or other academic recognition, (unless you devote your life to the ROTC program) Also, "popular" (that word is being used for lack of a more demeaning word) students of each grade are favored by the teachers and administration. Teachers and admins are EXTREMELY BIAS. As far as positives go, the school is clean and has good lunch food (A+, yus bethel, yuuuus).

Posted November 25, 2013

I am a sophmore at BHS and really do not like it. The classes are to easy, classes are out of control, and students have no respect for anyone. I dread going there every day and know I will not be ready for college if I decide to go.

Posted October 13, 2013

All of the Bethel public schools are outstanding! The teachers and guidance counselors are on top of everything considering my child has learning and social issues. Also, the security at the schools is very strict and makes me feel at ease.

Posted October 9, 2013

As a parent who's children have experienced education in Westport, New Canaan and Bethel, here are my observations. First, too many expect the school to parent their children. They will make excuses and blame the school for what they should be doing. Its a parents job to make sure students attend on time, get their homework done, and learn about drugs. Drugs are in every school in the country. That said, Bethel is a better town than most of the coastal communities. Westport and New Canaan pretend to be a glossy magazine cover, when in fact they have families that are barely clinging to the dream. Too much stress to appear to be number one which results in too many coverups of major failures. Bethel's teachers are excellent. The school campuses are great. There is a negative political element in town that is anti-intellectual but their stupidity takes care of itself and as a result the rest of the town tries harder. The crime rate in town is near zero, its a wholesome and hard working area to raise a family. You get more for your money in Bethel than any Connecticut town I can think of and its an easy commute anywhere. If you are an involved parent, Bethel is great.

Posted September 2, 2010

Bethel High School is far from "top in the state"..it is average at the very best. I found their math program terrible, and many other areas way below my expectations. I expected improvements after the renovation and while the building is much nicer, the academics are still below average.

Posted August 8, 2010

Great school. terrific academic opportunities as well as activities for all types of students. Renovation is complete and the building looks great and meets all the needs as far as technology and up to date learning environment. I wish we could remove all ratings prior to renovation, as most of them complained about facility which is modern and up to date now.

Posted July 29, 2010

This school is very clean, and well built. It has a lot of activities and is very well organized. It has a warm and welcoming staff for when I went to do registration this summer. I just moved here from New York and everyone has been nothing but kind to me. I love it in this town and at what I have seen at this school. It is nothing like it was when all those other people were commenting.

Posted February 28, 2010

I thought this part was called 'Parent Review', not disgruntled student review. The school is among the best in the state. This is a vast improvement over where it had been. The BOE is far less poitical than it had been. The NJROTC has recieved the 'Distinguished Unit' designation since its inception. The music program is among the top 100 countrywide. Its per-pupilc spending is the highest in its ERG and in the area, only Ridgefield spends more per pupil by a couple of hundred bucks. For its demographic, Bethel schools, and its high school in particular, is as good as it gets.

Posted February 26, 2010

I went to this school in the class of 2008. It was renovated too late. Our class was the class that finally pushed the school to expand. The conditions there were terrible (we didn't have ceiling tiles in over half the school) and everything was well 'aged' The school was falling apart and there was Asbestos everywhere. Great music program however. A lot of teachers there are great as well. I'm sure it's better now after the renovation. But the 4 years I was there was the worst education experience I ever had.

Posted January 15, 2009

Bethel High School is a very talented and skilled school. It offers many extra curricular activities for every type of student. With its brand new renovation, the school is perfect now! This school is very inviting and homely with the best teachers. The teachers are always there to help you and make the class fun while learning. And our administrators are the best. They try very hard day to day just to make this school better and better and offer the students who attend this high school no less than what other schools offer. We also have a great award-winning course here known the Naval Junior Reserved Operations Traning Corp (NJROTC). This course offers you a vast amount of activities. From becoming a leader to learning how to fly! Once again this school is very unique offering not only tons of academic courses, but great amounts of extra-curricular activities and sports.

Posted July 17, 2007

I am a recent 2007 graduate from BHS, and I have to say that high school was a great experience. Yes the building is inadequet for proper instruction, but the class and extra curricular activites were great. I did not like the administration this year, particularly because they bit off more than they could chew in trying to boost school moral and changing what was already in place. The administration that was in place before the current one, worked like a well oiled machine. Even though they had some old habits, there were no problems with the way the school was run. As long as the student makes an effort to be involved and take pride in their academics, they will enjoy BHS as much as I did! It is a great school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 2, 2007

Our daughter is a sophmore at Bethel High School and is doing very well! She loves her classes and has had some amazing teachers. She is happy to go to school and loves to learn. I have found both the teachers and administration very helpful and responsive to any questions I have had. The building is old but renovations have begun. The music program is great! The teachers have such enthusiasm and it shows in the students performance. If you are thinking about moving to Bethel, we think the schools are wonderful. We've lived here for 16 years and our daughter has had incredible teachers every year!!

Posted October 4, 2006

I go to Bethel High school and love the guidance I get from teachers and administrators alike. The AP classes here are wonderful and provide a great foundation for any college freshman. The new prinicipal is very active and is proving to be a true disciplinarian and positive role model for students. Finally, I love the extracurricular activities and the gifted program that I am enrolled in.

Posted October 1, 2006

i am currently a junior at this school, and i have to say, i have very mixed reviews. it is indeed a dirty, old school, which they are working on to no avail of the students and the teachers. the teachers are alright, they've got some good,some alright, some bad, and some horrible teachers. the administration has gotten better, with 2 of the bad principals leaving, we now have 3 much better people, that are trying really hard to mold this school into something better. it's slow, but we are getting there. the activities are aplenty at this school, with great in-school and out of school programs, and a large sports program that is in the middle of a pay-to-play system. it's an OK school, it'll be better when it get's renovated, but that time won't come for a Long time. there are better in the county for sure, but still it's not so horrible.

Posted September 18, 2006

I couldn't be more disappointed. School is run down and staff is inadequate, they do not follow thru with anything. You need to fight for every ounce of aid for your child.

Posted September 18, 2006

I believe that the high school is bogged down in poor leadership on the building committee. Things dragged on until the cost of materials got out of hand.We need a change in the school leadership.We are not getting the proper management for the money being paid. Music and art should be a main part of education.Sports and other things should be pay to play.

Posted May 25, 2006

Very disappointed in this school for my child. Office staff is overworked- I could stand in the office and not be approached for 15 minutes. They all appear bitter and unhappy. Asked for special ed testing a number of times and when it was finally done, my child had already given up. Plans as a result were not followed through/adhered to. There's too much bullying and intimidation between the students, an overall lack of self-respect w/ re: to dress, language and conduct. The students in the 'in' clique are the leaders clearly outlined by the class and the staff as well. Children who are for some reason alittle different need more encouragement and the happiness and quality of their high school years should be made just as important as the rest. There's a large group of children who I believe fall through the cracks or are left without much needed guidance.

Posted May 24, 2006

I was dissatisfied with the Bethel High School administration when my children attended (my youngest is a senior, graduating nect month). They were old-fshioned administrators who did NOT have the best interests of anyone but themselves in mind. HOWEVER, the new-ish Superintendent is GREAT, and the administrators that were so horrible are both leaving.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

218 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

218 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2013.

221 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 89% in 2013.

221 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % level 3, 4, or 5

In 2012-2013 Connecticut used the Connecticut Academic Performance Test (CAPT) to test students' skills in reading, writing, science and math in grade 10. The CAPT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Connecticut.

Source: Connecticut Department of Education

Students with disabilities72%
Students without disabilities97%
Proficient in English95%
Scale: % level 3, 4, or 5

The different student groups are identified by the Connecticut Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Connecticut Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 4%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 16%N/A35%

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

300 Whittlesey Dr