Bad
Good

The Bloomfield PS System has went through major overhalls in the past few years, they have decided to give kids an opportunity to learn without the influences of kids that are much older by splitting the schools by grade level. Laurel is K-2. I had my reservations about PS not just Laurel but this school is excellent. My Daughter who started at the K level is now in 2nd grade and she loves it. If your child progresses at a different pace than others in the class, thats ok, as the teachers move at each childs pace. They also have programs for dads to get involved called Watch Dogs and it is wonderful. The Principal is great, Paul Guzzo, along with his staff. With frequent assemblies, town hall meeting, volunteer efforts, PTO, etc. there is no excuse for parents not to get involved and since we have been there 3 years now, the amount of parent participation at all levels is excellent. If you are thinking about private school vs Laurel, do yourself a favor choose Laurel.

I think this school has been great for my daughter. She attended a not so good preschool so when she enrolled in kindergarten at Laurel she was not at the level she should have been. The teacher Mrs. Glassman recognized that she just hadn't been taught the things she should know, she immediately sprung into action. Once my daughter learned she excelled. She's now in 1st grade has yet another awesome teacher Mrs. Coppa. Mrs. Coppa is already preparing them for 2nd grade and my daughter is reading at Level 16. Both teachers gave my daughter the drive to want to learn and she LOVES to read. She is now at the same level her cousin is and he attends a CREC school and is in the 2nd grade. Laurel school is great and the principal Mr. Guzzo is wonderful!

Bloomfield has gone through some major restructuring recently, and Laurel School has been completely re-done. I had my reservations about starting my son in Kindergarten, and about the Bloomfield school system in general. I am not overly concerned about test scores, because I don't think they are a true reflection of the school district. My son did not transition into pre-K well at all, and I was nervous about Kindergarten. But since he's been in Laurel he has blossomed. He loves his teacher, he loves his class, he loves to learn. His teacher is very responsive to emails and notes. The principal called me personally regarding an issue my son was having on the bus. I have no complaints, and I was definitely apprehensive about sending my son to school. I'm so happy that my fears have been put to rest.

The teachers and staff at this school truly care and are always available for support.

In all fairness, it should be noted that there have been numerous changes in Bloomfield public schools over the last few years. In fact, Laurel just re-opened its doors to new students, staff and administration for the 2012-13 school year. My daughter attended J.P. Vincent and now attends Laurel. Every child and experience in any school system varies; however, one thing that is consistent, is the impact of parent involvement. I think you get out what you put into any public school system. My daughter consistently tests at the ceiling of various assessments but I am actively involved in her public school education. In addition, Bloomfield Public Schools provided enrichment services for my daughter as part of her regular school day (free of charge). My daughter has only gone to Laurel for a couple of weeks but I am pleased with the efforts of the staff and administration. As far as the elementary CMT scores are concerned, they have been in line with local scores and exceed districts with similar demographics (however the CAPT has been a different story).

My son went to Laurel School in First grade. It is a terrible school. There was poor leadership from the principal. The work was not challenging enough for my son. When I complained to the teacher, she had an atitude. All my complaints went on deaf ears. I pulled my son out when I had an apportunity and sent him the J P Vincent. At that school the teacher would not return home work. The entire Bloomfield School System is a problem. The CMT reflects that. Ican,t afford private school and I can,t get my son into a magnet schhool so he will have to go back to the terrilbe Bloomfied Schol System.

Thankfully, I pulled my child out of The Laurel School. The lack of supervision allowed him to be bullied on a weekly basis by other students. My complaints went unheard. To top it off, his national test scores were 15% overall, meaning that 85% of the students nationwide scored better than him. All this from a class size of only 7 students. You decide if it s worth the $20,000 a year tuition.

Last modified Laurel School is a Public school that serves grades K-2