Bad
Good

- I graduated Central High School in 2008 & what i can say from my experience is that i loved my graduating class & they teachers i had to the extent that I now work for the Aspira Club, an after school program at CHS. Although I understand everyone's concerns & complaints but what we all must realize is that a GREAT education & a GREAT attitude begins at home. If the students do not have the proper discipline & push from their parents how are they going to expect them to do better in life. These students who do drugs, commit crimes are not 100% of the time to blame. The parents & other adult influences are as well. Teachers are there to do their jobs but when they have to teach insubordinate students what can they do when there's nothing else to do ?

I graduated from the Magnet program in 2007 and as a former student I can honestly say that the only good thing about Central High School is the "Magnet" program which includes the staff. On the other hand, if your child is not in the "Magnet" program, don't bother sending your child there. I had a step brother who attended regular Central, and it is very evident that we both received different levels and quality of education. The staff for regular Central is also very different, in actuality it is just a job to them where they could care less about your kids. In particular, the academic school counselor, Mrs. Connie Doughertry and Principle Engelson are the worse people you can contact as parents if a situation arises in regards of your child's well-being within the school. These two individuals in particular will talk to you and completely disregard your concerns as a parent or guardian.

If you look at the reviews they are all in central magnet that is why their reviews are so good. Central is overcrowded, the security guards play with the students instead of doing their jobs and it is very hard to get an education there when there are so many disruptions in the classrooms (fights, people not listening to the teacher). It is very sad that these kids can't get a great education.The teachers are so involved in trying to keep the kids in line that they don't have time to teach what they are supposed to. I spent 4 years there & can honestly say that I learned very little in that time. I would never send a kid to central or to the other 2 public high schools in bpt. They will not learn anything and I have 4 children that will not go to high school in bpt.

Way overcroweded. There are so many kids in my classes teachers barely have enough room to fit them all.

School is the pioneer in Magnet School Programs for the city of Bpt. Staff is excellent (admin, teachers, security). School is expanding with construction. One the schools that particpates in Aqua Program. My child is doing fine academically and athletically. Recommend this public school highly.

My son is in the Central Magnet program and the teachers have been fantastic. They are very understanding and supportive, available to the students before, during and after school. The Magnet advisors are also very supportive and will work with parents and students.

I am currently in the 11th grade at Central High School Magnet. I feel that Central has made great improvements as far as safety goes. When I started school there 2 years ago there was no such thing as a school id cards and such strict rules such as not being allowed to use your cell phone in school or getting in trouble for being in the wrong lunch wave. Now with the new principal I believe that central has become a more safe environment. However yes there are fights from time to time but what school does not have issues as this. When you have so many kids in a very small school what do u expect? When I started school at Central Magnet I new about 1 or 2 people now I know all of my graduating class and some. Joining clubs and sports is another good way to make friends. If you hang with positive people at central you should have no problem however if you hang with people who are up to no good of course your experience is not going to be a good one. Central has many classes to choose from and some of the teachers are good. Yes there are few ones that may get on your nervous from time to time but most of the teachers are willing to help you in magnet (not to sure about regular central). The magnet program is way more of challenge then regular central and prepares you for college. I do not believe central is out of control as the comment says below me. Central Magnet is a great place to send your child to with out question.

I think central needs a new principal and new staff how can kids learn when half the teachers are never there..I think this school is out of control.And I think it needs to be run correctly.A angry parent

Kudos to the Principal, Teachers, Staff and Students at making Central High School the best High School in the state of Connecticut as far as I am concerned

I am currently a student at Central High School. I have just completed two years there and now I will be heading into the 11th grade. When first arriving at Central, I thought that the school was going to be a chaoic enviornment. But after attending the school for the past two years, I was truely mistaken. Central High School is a wonder school. It offers diversity and allows a child's 'people skills' to develope. This is not a sheltered school, so you child will learn to be independt quick. Though the school has its problems, there are also many positive aspects that override the negative. I am enrolled in the magnet problem and I must admit that, the program is much more difficult than the regular central courses. It offers complex courses and challenges you to push yourself. Central is a great school to send you child to!

Last modified Central High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.