St. Ann School

Private | PK-8 | 211 students

Living in Bridgeport

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $128,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,240.

Sweep tile

Posted January 5, 2014

I feel it is absolutely necessary to put some of the negative reviews by parents below in perspective. St. Ann School is a small, diverse, academically challenging and thriving school. Over the past few years, we have had a couple of families (all close friends and/or relatives) who have had issues with their children at school. Some of the issues are related to poor grades, some about behavioral problems at school, some because there is "too much homework" and some simply because teachers won't go along with the parent's demands. St. Ann school has bent over backwards for these families; however, when the end result is not what they wanted, the parents choose to malign the school publicly in forums like these. The example this sort of teacher-bashing sets for children is unhealthy and honestly, I don't think these families will be happy anywhere. My kids are all over the board when it comes to grades, student-teacher interaction and conduct issues. This school will nurture--not baby your child and there are opportunities for academic and personal growth far beyond what is available in other schools in our area. I am proud my kids are at St. Ann and they are happy to be there.

Posted February 20, 2013

I wish I could rate it with 0 stars. This school is horrible. It is biased and based on favoritism. The principal and teachers always seem to find clever ways to collect money from students. On day it is two dollars, the next it's five. They claim to have God with them, but God isn't in their hearts. All this school cares about is money!!!

Posted February 7, 2013

the parents who have put low stars to rate these catholic schools I completely understand My child goes to st. andrews its the same thing. favoritism, blackballing children....it starts from the principals if they feel the child don't fit in their schools they find all the reasons to kick them out or lets say make you feel unwanted in their school. its HORRIBLE what we pay these schools for the teachers to be always complaining. do your jobs if you are certified oh yes thats right in Catholic schools YOU DONT HAVE TO BE A CERTIFIED TEACHER. problem #1.

Posted August 7, 2012

I chose St. Ann s for my daughters in order to provide them with access to the best possible education in the area. I am pleased to say that St. Ann s has far exceeded my expectations. They have a great curriculum that has provides a rigorous education. They also offer a wide selection of extra-curricular activities, designed to engage and improve social development.

Posted May 22, 2012

My children have been at St. Ann school for 7 years now and I have older nephews who are about to graduate on to high school. I have nothing but positive feelings for the school. With each grade my children have thrived and if/when they had trouble, assistance was offered to help them improve. I have enjoyed each teacher for different reasons; some being stricter, some more nurturing. I have continued to tell my children that in their educational career they may not like each teacher for the same reasons and I feel that this prepares them for the real world as they won't like each boss or coworker. I know my daughter is looking forward to middle school at St. Ann as the children become more independent and are challenged with real world situations. Overall I think the teachers, principal, and staff at St.Ann School are a dedicated, knowledgeable, and persevering group of individuals who truly care about the children they teach. I think St. Ann School has wonderful diverse group of students who care for each other and the world around them.

Posted May 4, 2012

The quality of teachers is too inconsistent. Some are very good and some are terrible. Parents are involved and supportive but still get chastized for talking to each other and having "parking lot" conversations. There are not enough fun and interesting projects to address the needs of all learners, and subjects like science are not innovative or challenging. The school could be great and some things are good, but all too often we hear a lot of lip service and see no improvement when big issues arise.

Posted April 22, 2012

I had to weigh in after this last review! I have been a parent at this school for a long time. These reviews are NOT FABRICATED! If you will note the positive reviews are mainly for the primary grades , kindergarten, pre-k, etc where the faculty has been there a long time. Those teachers are wonderful, The problems start at the about 5th grade and up, ask a number of parents and you will find out. If your child is having problems, the school is not interested in your child, they would rather you leave. This school can be a very negative place and favoritism runs rampant. I stayed because I had no choice as we all know about the educational problems in Bridgeport

Posted April 21, 2012

I find some of these negative comments to be extremely fabricated. I have 2 children at St Ann School. One child is in the PK3 program and the other is in Kindergarten. I am extremely pleased by their educational achievement and growth. Also, I pulled my youngest child from a "quality" day care setting because I felt the day care would have hindered his/her learning potential. The teachers in the PK3 program at St Ann's are far more superior than what you would find within a "quality" day care program. As a result, my child has advanced greatly and is ready for PK4 at St Ann School next year. Furthermore, the PK4 teacher is just as wonderful. In addition, my other child in Kindergarten transferred from a PK4 program that was run at a "quality" day care. I originally thought the PK4 was adequate. I realized after his/her screening test into Kindergarten at St Ann's that he was missing some basic skill sets. My child has flourished greatly at St Ann's. The Kindergarten teacher is just as lovely and greatly cares about the students.

Posted March 8, 2012

This is my child's first year at St. Ann. The pre-K4 program has been wonderful. The teacher is always available and looking for new and helpful ways to encourage and direct the children in a positive manner. Overall the school has a very energetic, positive and embracing community. The principal is very successful at trying to engage students as well as families. Our experience has been very positive.

Posted February 23, 2012

BEWARE, favoritism and injustice are practiced here, you will be blamed for staff shortcomings, the principal acts as if this is her own personal kingdom, staff turnaround is high because of conflict between administration and teachers. If your child does not become a stepford student you WILL have problems; coverup and denial is the method in which complaints are addressed, once you voice a concern you will be on the receiving end of retaliation...welcome to ST ANN School

Posted October 28, 2011

My child is currently enrolled and I am not happy so far. Every time I view my concerns things just get worse for my child. I don't want to bring any more attention to the issues or go into specifics because I really don't want to enroll my child into another program the middle of the school year. The preschool program is like a low quality daycare. The pre-k class is not filled to its max and now I know why. If you look at the teacher web page you will see spelling and grammar error. That type of sloppiness and lack of attention to detail is reflected in the classroom. I hope it gets better as the months go by or I will not be enrolling my child next year.

Posted May 23, 2010

St Ann year after year continues to graduate students that get into the top regional high schools. The AP classes, complete focus on math and science with a fully equipped lab, smartboards in all the classrooms, Spanish that starts in Kindergarten, a technology library, a highly motivated tenured staff (with affiliations with Yale and Fairfield U) led by a creative, focused resourceful leader guarantees a successful future for your disciplined, well mannered child all for under $3,000. Start them at PK3 so they can go through the entire program.

Posted October 14, 2009

My child has been at St. Ann since 2006 and loves it. She is now in middle school and is thrilled with her teachers. I have found the faculty to be very responsive and helpful when I've needed clarification on my child's academic work or had a concern about an assignment. The principal is extremely approachable and does a great job of communicating with parents. I don't think any school is perfect but my family is very pleased with St. Ann.

Posted August 7, 2009

I did research on St Ann s before I enrolled my child. I was very impressed with the first grade teacher and Aid and decided to send my child there. The teacher was very nurturing. I was so impressed I started both of my children the following year and the honeymoon stage was over In that coming year (in my experience) there was allot of favortism and there is more focus on the students that are liked more . One of my children didn t like the school at all and would beg me to stop sending him there. I came to understand that there was bullying going on and it was not addressed. My other child went with the flow. However, didn t like the atmosphere and grew more disconnected. I would not recommend this school at all.

Posted April 29, 2009

Wonderful teaching staff, great support system with student that need extra help. I love it. Best of all my son loves it!!

Posted April 15, 2009

This is a terrific school with very involved parents and teachers. Although the facilities are a little old, the teachers genuinely care about the students, and the curriculum is excellent. I'm particularly impressed by the afterschool program, which includes opportunities for swimming, karate, basketball, and soccer, even at a young age. There are also lots of opportunities for community-building. St. Ann's is terrific.

Two or more races 6% N/A
Asian 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Bridgeport

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

521 Brewster St