Bad
Good

I'ts funny the sight ask for honesty in your review on the schools. you & your love one went or going to.in my family what we experience I can only say NO STAR IS BETTER THAN PUTTING A STAR TO THIS WEB SIGHT.BUT YOU HAVE TO BECAUSE YOU WONT GET TO TELL YOUR HONEST REPORT OR THOUGHTS OF THIS SCHOOL.That's the only thing i can say & from what I see of these parents that review this school its been a while ago.maybe it was a grate journey at that time but for my family it wasn't & i'm sorry I have to leave it like this because we are still in a dilemma with them.just PLEASE DO MORE RESEARCH ON THIS SCHOOL.{a surprise visit with one parent in office & another at your LOVE ONE CLASS}.sorry again for not saying much why I feel this way but {again} no star from my family.{no names}.{observing your love one's goes along way}.....THANKS, FOR WHO TAKES THIS AS A HONEST TRUTH.....

Their academic achievement and expectations are higher than other public schools in the city. The parents are involved, the principal is a good leader and the teacher quality is great. The location is the best in the city. It offers morning and afternoon programs which is really convenient and helpful. The overall experience I've had at Winthrop School is wonderful.

Looking forward to an enjoyable school year - Great school !! Everyone gets involved !! Glad to see focus on education !!!

All three of my kids went to this school, and they really enjoyed it. The staff at this school is great. The principal is very involved in every event at the school, and from my experience so are the parents.

The staff and students at the school are the best. Anything you need they are there for you to lend a hand. This is a very closeknit community of people who truly care about your child. They help your child achieve their goals no matter what they are. They push your child to achieve and be positive. my believe is a great school starts with great principals ( Mr. Dixon and Mrs. Morgan ), great teachers and staff. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication to our children.

I had two sons that attended Winthrop school and they both received great educations. Each child has had an experience with at least one teacher that made a huge impact on them. We voted for one teacher for teacher of the year and she won.

Winthrop is a great school. I have two children attending the school, they have had mostly good experiences. As for parental envolvment I'ts what one makes of it, as a working parent I can't always participate in all activities but I certainly recieve notices for school activities. The teachers are exceptional and to show that example both my children are honors students. So it's all thumbs up to Winthrop!

So far I've had good experiences at Winthrop. My son's kindergarten teacher has been doing a great job with communicating with me on a regular basis. I agree with the previous comment - 'Communication from the school into the home is lacking.' I find that I receive notices the day before an event where, as a working parent, it's not always possible to arrange for time off with such last minute notice. It seems as though the school does not take this into consideration and commicate important information or events in advance. I am online constantly, so it would be great if the school communicated pertinent information (teacher packets) before the school year begins, such as bus info, meals, after school registration, via the school website. The first orientation day felt a bit chaotic since I had to make several trips

My son is in his 3rd year at John Winthrop and I am very happy I made the switch from Private to John Winthrop! His 3rd grade teacher was the best! The Principal, Mr. Dixon is very involved with the students and this is nice to see. I can however agree with a previous post from a not so happy parent that stated '...parents are not encouraged to be involved with the school in any meaningful way. There is no communication from the administration about academics, activities ...' Communication from the school into the home is lacking.

Most wonderful school. Mr. Dixon is a godsend to the school. The teachers are excellent and they have a huge amount of parent participation in the school. I would highly recommend sending your child here. There are truly wonderful and caring people in this school.

Last modified Winthrop School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.