St. Joseph Elementary School 4

Posted October 08, 2014
I submitted a February 2, 2012 post praising the school. I an reiterate that I still feel that the school provides excellent and rigorous academics and appreciate the raising of my children's social awareness through the study of faith. SJS is no doubt a better alternative to public shool, but other private schools might have ironed out these rough spots that seem to persist at SJS. In that respect, SJS seems to be a work in progress. The new principal is very zealous in furthering the interests of the school and advocating for improvements in both physical buiilding, teacher and student resources and finances. He works very hard and is resourceful but is a bit inconsistent and his results can seem arbitrary. Another frustrating aspect, is that there is an underlying, pervasive attitude that is anti-dual working parent families. The school , admin and teachers, seems to not really consider the situation of dual working parent families often such as in scheduling parent-teacher conferences days (only 1 evening over 3 days) and requiring fund raising activities (3 diffferent ones in 1 month's time!). Still sticking with the school for now however...

Posted June 04, 2014
This was a great school year! Very happy with our child's education, experiences, and teacher. The principal turned the school around... we hope he stays! Some staff are leaving... this is a good thing, but we will miss Mr. Murphy and Ms. Cadmus.

Posted March 28, 2014
One of the best schools w great community, teachers and staff! Kids get a great education and religious background! Couldn't say enough good things!

St. Joseph Elementary School 1

Posted March 26, 2014
Inconsistent teaching (much deadwood amongst the staff), dismal infrastructure and a poor front office made our time at the school a waste of money. The new Principal is making great strides (after years of failing leadership) and must be commended as he is a very strong leader, but he has much work to do to recover what has been lost and bring St Joe's back to what it was.

Posted January 26, 2014
St Joseph Brookfield is a wonderful school. This year (2013/2014 school year) is our third year at the school and our kids are in first and third grade. Both of our children have thrived academically, socially and spiritually. We did not initially attend SJS for the religious aspect, but the values instilled have become a critical part of what I expect from their future education. Academically the school has exceeded our expectations. The pre-K and K programs had my youngest recognizing sight words and reading more than a year earlier than my older child who attended another school for those grades. Mathematically both children are doing excelling and enjoying it. Both children really look forward to going to school and I appreciate the quality of the teachers. The school has good music, spanish, art, computer and gym programs. We have had more principal turnover for various reasons over the past 3 years than I'd like, but the current principal is very strong and has quickly and continuously driven improvement, enhancements and positive changes and will hopefully now be here a while. There is a good after-care program as well that my kids enjoy going to.

Posted November 19, 2013
We have been with Saint Joseph School for 13 years, we have two children who have graduated and moved on to private high school where they are achieving at or above the honors level. We attribute much of our children's success to the foundations in academics and faith that were acquired during their time at SJS. They were exposed to not only strong academics, but also, student council, athletics, student mentoring, strong understanding and practice of their faith, community service and outreach and a loving environment. SJS has been through many changes and the most recent in leadership and faculty have only made the school better and compliment the mission of the school. I have been complimented on my older childrens commitment to their studies, conduct and organization. I have one student still enrolled and expect the same wonderful gift of superior education, complimented with strong values in a faith based environment. We are happy to be part of the SJS family.

Posted November 19, 2013
St. Joseph is a great school. I highly recommend it. Brookfield has good public schools but the education here is even better. The new leadership this year has made many positive changes. Focus is on kindness and community. New technology and music program. Lots of extra-curricular activities including STEM, Odyssey of the Mind and sports. The best After School Care and Homework Club in the area - you pay when you need and use it. Some new teachers with lots of energy and great ideas. Principal is organized, caring and a true leader. Parents support the school with fund-raising. Check out the school - you will be pleasantly surprised!

Posted November 19, 2013
My elder son has been with St. Joseph many years since Kindergarten. Overall speaking we are very pleased with how the school staff help my son to develop to a fine, religious, and upright person. Nothing is perfect in life and surely there are ups and downs, but I have to say there are certainly more ups. We enjoy (and welcome) the academic challenges. From an extracurricular activities perspective, the school and parents working together have exceeded what I expect based on the available resources to private/Catholic school. I definitely agree with some of the earlier reviewers about the new energy and uptrend our new principal brings in this year. We always believe educating a child, either academic or behavior wise, demands efforts from both schools and parents; and personally we feel what St. Joe can offer complement nicely with what we as parents can offer and expect.

Posted November 19, 2013
Our children are currently in 7th & 8th grade at SJS, and have been attending since kindergarten. From the beginning we felt the sense of family, acceptance and community from the other family. There is a very strong focus on Christian values and raising the children to be participating Catholics, and living the word. With regard to academics, the curriculum is very challenging, and with out a doubt results in graduates that thrive in their high school years. The new principal Mr. Bannon is a welcome addition, who have implemented many positive changes, including needed staff changes, and special focus on respect for all individuals in the school. The tuition and fund raising that we pay are well worth all the positive things our children will reap for their years at SJS. You absolutely owe it to yourself and your children to at least visit the school, spend some time there, and give it an honest consideration. I believe it will be one of the best decisions in yours and your children's lives.

Posted November 19, 2013
St. Joseph's Brookfield has given my children a more superior educational opportunity then they would have had in our large public school system. Of course, along with that, has been attending mass weekly, and the spiritual teaching that is part of the curriculum, as well. There is a great sense of community among faculty, principal, HSA and parents. The classes are small, and the teachers are patient, caring and flexible. As a parent, I feel it is essential to be involved in projects, field trips, and other class related activities. Here we get to help, in fact it is welcomed. But, we have also needed some additional attention and academic support for one of my children, and St. Joseph's has worked with us to develop an amazing academic support team. We would highly recommend St. Joes Brookfield.

St. Joseph Elementary School
5 Obtuse Hill Rd, Brookfield, CT  06804
Last modified St. Joseph Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Joseph Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 50 reviews. Top