No rating

The Cheshire Academy

Private | 7-12

Living in Cheshire

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $296,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,210.

Posted February 9, 2012

I am a product of a tiger mom. I have always had excellent grades, but was always made to feel that I wasn't good enough. Because if I received 98% on an exam, harsh criticism for missing the 2% followed. Cheshire's warm faculty helped me gain self-confidence and be happy while excelling academically. Sure, there are higher ranked schools in the area and my mom was not happy that I chose to go to Cheshire instead of Choate or Loomis, but the quality of education I received at Cheshire was top notch. It did well on my college placement and supported my personal decision to attend Wesleyan --where I knew I would receive excellent education and would be happy as opposed to bending to my mom's will of sending me to any Ivy League school I got into. When I got to Wesleyan, I realized Cheshire had done an excellent job preparing me for the rigorous college academics. I adjusted to the college life with ease. My dorm parents and teachers at Cheshire were so supportive and available. Their doors were always wide open whenever I had questions or needed a shoulder to cry on. I recommend Cheshire for anyone who wants a warm and supportive community of really smart and dedicated teachers.

Posted January 24, 2012

I have been at Cheshire Academy for 6 years. I went to middle school here and this is where i grew up. I have grown tremendously as a person. I came to this school shy, now i will be leaving next year courageous. I have had a great time at this school. The best part about Cheshire Academy is the people. The teachers are the nicest and most helpful teachers a kid can have. The students are also very friendly. The first day i got here i was pleasantly surprised that i did not have trouble fitting in. This is the feeling that most people have when coming here. Cheshire Academy is a great school.

Posted December 26, 2011

My daughter is a senior at Cheshire Academy and we hope my son will be entering as a freshman> This has been a wonderful choice for her. The faculty has been excellent and she excelled in her studies as well as sports and other EC activities. Our comparitve reference was the experience of my oldest daughter at Choate class 2008;While she also did extremely well in academics and in varsity athletics it was a grueling process and I am not sure that the final product was any better than she would have done at Cheshire (and she probably would have had a more enjoyable high school experience. ) Cheshire is worth a visit

Posted December 7, 2011

I am a student currently attending the Academy. I love this school; yes, it is mainly centered on athletics when compared to the arts, but being in several plays and classes I know that they are just as wonderful. Come here and tour, and you'll see why most students come!

Posted November 1, 2010

Cheshire Academy is a school lost in its own bliss. It's restraints and restrictions it has put in place has my child feeling like he is fighting the community at large not being part of it. most private schools work for goals and values and have chosen a direction in witch they want their school to pursue. however cheshire academy has no idea in the slightest what they truly are striving to be as a community. It is Truly a random assortment of faculty wife's and husbands with good intentions however no were near the tools or skills to be productive and have a happy vibrant campus life.

Posted August 11, 2010

My son just graduated from Cheshire Academy after spending three years at the school. He was part of the Roxbury Program for all three years. While Roxbury can be expensive, I found the program did wonders for my son. He started his Sophomore year with barely passing grades and finished up as a solid B+ studuent with great SAT's scores and a host of college choices. He loved the experience and I feel he is ready for the college challenge.

Posted July 10, 2009

I recently graduated from Cheshire Academy, and I can confidently say that attending Cheshire Academy was one of the best decisions that I have ever made. It is a caring and diverse community of individuals that truly care about one another and about their futures. The faculty are incredibly dedicated and really get to know the students. Cheshire Academy really is a close-knit family and a perfect match for a variety of students.

Posted October 27, 2008

My child is having a great experience at Cheshire. The classes are small and teachers are helpful. The curriculum is challenging but not overwhelming. The school understands and accepts students with learning differences. The Roxbury Center is excellent.

Posted October 23, 2008

I've been at Cheshire for two years and it's way better than the public high school I was at. Some of the kids here even made a software company and got to go to california for free and were on TV.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 19, 2008

I am a parent of an incoming senior who has been at Cheshire Academy since her freshman year. I give the highest praise for the Academy, it's staff and the entire community. My daughter is thriving both socially and academically and I attribute her success to Cheshire Academy. Please do not hesitate to visit the school and chat with some of the staff and administrators who go above and beyond their roles as 'employees' of the school. I liken it more to a family, one of which our own is very proud to be a part of.

Posted July 21, 2008

As director of the Roxbury Program at Cheshire since 2000, I would like to share some of my thoughts and comments. The Roxbury Support Program's mission is to promote life long, independent learners. We believe assisting each student in learning more about the way he or she learns (metacognition) empowers them. In addition, it encourages the student to be involved and take more responsibility for their own education. Learning how they can better access, retrieve and express information allows the student to be proactive, thereby increasing both their independence and self confidence. Cost of the daily program is impacted by the one to one ratio, however there are several other program options. As Academic Coaches, we are committed to assisting and supporting our students in setting and reaching their goals. The results and rewards of both what we do and how we do it, can be life altering.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 4, 2008

My son is a freshman at Cheshire Academy. He started at CA with the Summer 07 program. I sent them an unhappy, disinterested, lazy, uninvolved underachieving little boy. For the recent Spring Break they sent home a happy, self confident, involved young man who is finally learning to take control of his life - and is getting the best grades has received in years. Instead of hiding his schoolwork, he is proud to talk about it. I have been to two Parent's Weekends and met his teachers and all of the staff and audited his classes for a day - and I could not be happier. They are all supportive and involved with the students. Every time I have called the school staff, whomever I talk to knows who my son is. My daughter will probably join the class of 2013 when she finishes the 8th grade. -- a VERY pleased parent.

Posted January 12, 2007

My son is currently attending Cheshire Academy, and he is loving it! He needed more personalized attention, and one on one tutoring. He obtained just that and more. The faculty really care, and are willing to offer extra help any time. Sports are also fun, and the teams are well coached. If you're looking for a great school for your son, mark Cheshire Academy down for a visit, you will not regret it.

Posted October 31, 2005

I don't know what the previous parent is talking about, but this school is fantastic at helping our son and daughter with their school work and in other ways too. The faculty are always available and the new Head is definitely making improvements in the school. My kids love it.

Posted May 24, 2005

Our son currently attends Cheshire Academy and the reports back are dismal at best, the teachers and administrators pick favorites. If your child has any type of learning difference, do yourself and your child a favor and look elsewhere. The Learning Center (Roxbury Program)is an expensive joke! The school has a new headmaster this year and he hasnt made much of an effort to get to know the children or the families.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 34% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab